Straight Talk: Is there hope for a 20th Century Throwback?

Sue D. Nimh

Recovering Lurker
Registered
Reaction score
The answer then is no it doesn't matter :) . You can get repped and published without social media abosolutely.

But my point still stands: don't hold too tightly onto your hate of social media. There are so many different ways to use them. For example many people think instagram is all about selfies and showing off. But I love it because I love photography and sharing my photos of architecture (and my cat :) ) and looking at similar photos. I rarely take a selfie and still really enjoy it. Anyway, not trying to convince you to do anything you don't want to. Just saying you might actually find one or two that is enjoyable for you. You might not. But I'd recommend staying open minded about the possibility.

This seems to be the consensus, and I'm glad about it. I've already begun writing knowing that hope is still alive for those of us who are hold-outs to the 21st century!

I still hate social media. I doubt that will change. But I'm also smart enough to realize that I don't know everything and to be careful when you say "never." (Although I'm still adamant about that Never when it comes to Facebook.) Twitter is nothing more than a format rampant with social justice warriors hypocritically acting as judge, jury and executioner towards people and situations that, five minutes ago, they were blissfully unaware of; but now their lives revolve around it!

In all fairness, Instagram seems innocent enough since I'm not prone to taking nude photographs. :e2photo: Out of any of them, Instagram would be the one I could see myself actually enjoying if I needed to.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Twitter is nothing more than a format rampant with social justice warriors hypocritically acting as judge, jury and executioner towards people and situations that, five minutes ago, they were blissfully unaware of; but now their lives revolve around it!
Um. You might have just acted as judge, jury and executioner to all of us here who use Twitter. Also, not to be too nitpicky, but social justice warriors is getting really old, if you're intending it as an insult...

Sue D. Nimh

Recovering Lurker
Registered
Reaction score
Sue, I understand you're new here. But even so, you should have read our Newbie Guide, and if you have, you'll remember that our one rule is "respect your fellow writer". You're on the verge of breaking that rule here, with your tone and use of capslock. Be aware that while it can be irritating to not get the answers you want, people are nevertheless giving their time, effort and expertise to help you.

If any of my posts have come across that way, it certainly hasn't been intentional and I apologize sincerely to anyone who I may have hurt. Any use of caps lock has only been intended to stress a specific word. I haven't caps-locked entire sentences. I will find better ways to do that in the future.

As far as appreciating people's time and efforts in their replies, I absolutely do! I've endeavored to make that clear from the start! That's one reason why I've responded to every person who took their time to respond to my questions. I've never been much of an emoji person and, not wanting to come across as insincere or fake, I didn't want to keep using exclamation points at the end of every sentence or to keep repeating "Thank you! I appreciate you taking the time to respond!" to each person. I've just tried to speak normally or add clarification. Again, I apologize if the tone of my posts have come across any differently. I haven't been irritated with a single person on this forum! :)

And I do take the time to read through sticky posts. (More than just a minute or two.) There are just so many of them that it's impossible to read through them all before posting! I've also performed many searches to find old threads that address my questions. Unfortunately, I don't find the search feature here that effective because it searches each word individually instead of as a phrase. When I've searched for single words, the results haven't always been in the correct context. I'm not complaining, simply explaining. :Thumbs:

Moving on: some publishers and agents will want you to have a social media presence, while others won't care so much. Some writers have huge followings, others have little or none; and some writers are dead by the time they're published so can't use social media. It doesn't seem to matter in their cases.

My advice? Go to our Book Promotions room. Read the "SEO Dweeb" thread which is stickied there. Open accounts on Facebook, Twitter, etc. and put up some sort of holding page and your basic information there, even if you don't intend to use them, so that you have some control over your name, at least.

Thanks for this. One of the things my searches have shown is that many people advise protecting the control over your name on social media. It's definitely something worth seriously considering.

Meanwhile, write your book. Because if you haven't written a book, revised it thoroughly, and submitted it appropriately then all this talk is for nothing.

Note, too, that very few people are given trade deals for their first, second, even seventh book. If you want a trade deal you're going to have to work very hard for it.

With all due respect, it's not for nothing to me. It's been extremely helpful in clarifying some things, saving some time, and taking a big question off my plate. Enough so that it got me writing. I'd say that's pretty productive for one thread! :Thumbs: As for trade deals, I accept the facts. I expect nothing less than hard work and earning my way. Honestly, I wouldn't have it any other way.

Sue D. Nimh

Recovering Lurker
Registered
Reaction score
Um. You might have just acted as judge, jury and executioner to all of us here who use Twitter. Also, not to be too nitpicky, but social justice warriors is getting really old, if you're intending it as an insult...

Then please accept my apology. I should have explained that my viewpoint of it comes from being a non-user whose experience of Twitter comes from all abundance of mainstream media news articles.

I've clearly stepped on some toes in this thread and it wasn't my intention. I'll stop posting.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Then please accept my apology. I should have explained that my viewpoint of it comes from being a non-user whose experience of Twitter comes from all abundance of mainstream media news articles.

I've clearly stepped on some toes in this thread and it wasn't my intention. I'll stop posting.
You don't have to stop posting. If you don't use Twitter or FB, of course you won't understand the strengths of them. They can be, for instance, a brilliant news cutting service. Link to the journals, magazines, papers you're interested in (always a good idea to link to the ones on the Other Side of Politics as well as your own side) and you have a wonderfully broad method of following politics and current events. Substitute any topic for news and current events and the same applies. They are exactly what you make of them - not perfect, but not stupifying either.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Hello from someone who holds on to as much old technology as possible! I don't know where I'd be without my radio and landline.

Just remember that if you want a career as a novelist, the only things over which you have control are your writing and your reputation. As Old Hack has said, it is a good idea to secure your name on social media in anticipation. It's also a good idea to make sure that you are prepared for the worst case scenario: that you never sell a book or only sell a handful. That's a grim thought, I know, but you can't control other people's responses to your work.

Probably an idea to explore the various types of social media before embracing or dismissing them. I see the term 'social justice warrior' in examinations of the euphemistically named 'alt right'. Also in piss takes of same.

Dearie me. No need to stop posting.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Well and see that was my point. Your opinion on Twitter is biased and untrue, as is your opinion of the people who use it (I'm another member here who does btw). And I mean we all have biases and if we don't use a particular tool then of course we have to take what information we can find out there. But it does make sense to be a little more open minded and actually experience these platforms yourself and not just second hand through sources that have an angle to push.

Please try to approach every step of this journey along the way with an open mind. And please don't stop posting when someone points out that there might be a better way to communicate. This isn't about shaming, this is about learning and growing and being a part of the community. Believe you me we've all had our moments or being told a post isn't communicating as effectively as we'd like it to be. We're generally a forgiving, empathetic and kind bunch. :)