Anybody got a cooking bucket list?

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
I've got some things on mine that I've been saving for "someday" to make. The first on the list is cream puffs. The last time I had homemade cream puffs was 105 years ago when I was about 12 and was visiting my grandmother. She was not a dessert cook, she could make roasts and soups with the best of them (and homemade cake donuts), but she didn't really have time for desserts because they involved a recipe and I think she was just too impatient to bother. I'm not sure what possessed her to make them, and this memory may now be a product of nostalgia, but I recall them as being the most delicious I've ever had - crisp and flakey bits of pastry stuffed with perfectly whipped vanilla cream.

The next on the list is Portuguese Custard tarts. When I was living in Toronto I worked in the Portuguese/Italian district and as my reward for walking to work, I'd stop in at my favourite bakery and buy one cod cake or shrimp patty, and for dessert a custard tart. These were amazing - the pastry crisp and the custard absolutely silky. They were sublime. I haven't had those in about 90 years and since I'm not anywhere near a bakery that makes them, I think I need to make them myself.

What's on everyone else's list?

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
I only have one item and that's to make a pumpkin pie by scratch. Why this fascinates me I don't have a clue! This past Thanksgiving I got to taste one that a woman make by scratch. I can't wait.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
beef and brocolli

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
Snowstorm, make sure that you use a pie pumpkin to do it, I'm told it makes a difference.

Reddog - Beef and broccoli? As in an Asian dish? That's one of my favourites!

Maggie, too funny! My Pinterest board is the same - I have so many recipes that even if I made 3 meals a day and lived to be 100 I would not get around to them all - and I keep adding. Right now I'm leaning towards making an Oatmeal Slice that I pinned. This too is a recipe from my childhood and I haven't had it in years - basically just oatmeal, sugar, and butter patted in a pan and baked. As I recall it tastes a bit like a granola bar.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Besides humans?

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
kikazaru, your post reminded me that I want to try to make cod cakes like my Portuguese grandmother's--OMG were they good! I have the recipe, but I'm also the only person in the house who likes fish. I may have to wait to do it until I have the house to myself for a day or two.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
Maggie: Crepe cakes are extremely time consuming. I saw one of these made on Jacques Pepin's PBS shows. Amazing!

I know I will never make one, but I'd like to taste it: Périgueux sauce over a nice châteaubriand.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
I never thought about this question. I mostly cook to eat... rather than cook to cook, if that makes sense. But - maybe on my bucket list is niimono. But I want to find 'real' mirin - and that's a whole nuther story...

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Well . . . I could maybe get real exotic and say fugu or durian, but . . . noooooo.

But the thread title did remind me of a great line from Scottish comedian Billy Connally, who I saw some years ago say:

"If ya wanna lose weight, never eat annithing that coomes in a boocket. They feed animals froom a boocket."

caw

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
Billy Connally gives some great advice - although every once in a couple of years I think some KFC would be just the ticket and then I regret it all night!

I don't think I have an eating bucket list, except for maybe truffles. I've never had a truffle and I might like to see what all the fuss is about some day. And Idon't know what's stopping me from making cream puffs but it's always on my list of "some day…"

Re the crepe cake. A friend of the family was from Iceland and she used to make Vinetarte every Christmas which is basically thin layers of cake stacked with a layer of prune filling. It was delicious.

Marissa I still dream about those cod cakes. They were basically salted dried cod, which had been soaked and flaked. They were mixed with seasoned potatoes, onions and parsley, rolled into balls, breaded and deep fried. Sooo delicious! The shrimp patties were also so good - little deep fried pockets of breaded dough stuffed with creamed shrimp. Yum!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It is the Chinese beef and broccoli. I love it and can't find any locally that makes gluten free.

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
kikazaru, my grandmother's cod cakes also had crushed red pepper paste as an ingredient and weren't breaded, so perhaps a slightly different texture--??
Now I have to go look for some salt cod...

I also need to try making my mom's shredded cabbage pierogi recipe at least once.

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
I admit, deep-frying anything has been one of my cooking fears that I wish I could overcome (hello pyrophobia!).

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
Snowstorm, make sure that you use a pie pumpkin to do it, I'm told it makes a difference.

Good point, kikazaru! I'd heard not every pumpkin could work. Thank you!

snowstorm -
The recipe I use for pumpkin pie is here, about halfway down ("Harvest Time"). https://helenatroy.livejournal.com/?skip=10&tag=recipe

but - won't it be hard for you to make, with those little bunneh feet? (I also homemake a nice whole wheat pie crust... - maybe I can dig that recipe up)

Woo! That recipe looks awesome! Thank you! And using all four feet sure would help rather than have to poke with fingers. *shrugs off the possibility of fur in the crust but then considers the fibers might help hold the crust together*

I have a great white flour pie crust recipe. Whole wheat crust would give the pie a very nice nuttier flavor, which sounds so complementary! Interesting! Thank you for the recipe and the tips!

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
I admit, deep-frying anything has been one of my cooking fears that I wish I could overcome (hello pyrophobia!).

To be fair, deep frying is something to be given a healthy fear and respect. There was a girl in my middle school who was covered in skin grafts from an attempt to make onion rings gone very, very poorly. It took me until this past year to every try just regular frying in a few cm of oil. have you looked at an air fryer?

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Already done it a few times, but I'm dying to make my pesto lasagna recipe again, been years. Nothing special, but I invented it (sorta), and really want to try it again without those stupid no-bake noodles they always sell.

Moving into blue sky territory, everything in my life right now revolves around tacos. I really want to find a mango taco recipe, and, less quirky but more technically challenging, home-made potato tacos. My favorite, but ugh, cooking potatoes. I once tried just getting a bag of O'Brien potatoes, Irish tacos worked decent but it wasn't the same.

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
And Idon't know what's stopping me from making cream puffs but it's always on my list of "some day…"

Whatever is stopping you, tell it to quit. Cream puffs are ridiculously easy to make! (Their cheesy cousin gougeres are even easier because they don't even need filling. Plus they go with wine.)

For the Portuguese custard tarts -- Chinese custard tarts are almost the same thing. Next time you're near a Chinese bakery, check them out.

On my cooking bucket list: a proper Bolognese ragu, the type that takes all day to make. Duck confit -- a necessary component to another item on the list, a proper cassoulet. Spinach souffle like my mom used to make when I was a kid. Real spaghetti carbonara. Doughnuts.