New from Denver. What else would I be here?

Rob40

Registered
Reaction score
Website
roughdrift.wordpress.com
According to the forum sticky’s guidance, I am to discuss the following:

I'm on another forum, perhaps two, but looking for activity that checks my boxes depending on what day that is,

What: I seem to write short fiction; historical, sci-fi, regular, past, now, future or usually all mixed up. With long form, I’m currently working with the late 19th century west plus a fantasy element. Whatever I work with, I keep screwing up the with something unusual or fantastic but I can’t go full on fantasy. I’m pragmatic about it. Did 2-stroke engines exist then? Yes? Well then, a strong man can wear one on his back in 1915.

Reading: I read. Not voraciously because there’s so much other great distracting stuff! But, I like fiction and biography, some historical sources more and more but that’s because of the ideas I’m getting. I have to know something about it before I screw it all up.

How long: I always had ideas and scratched down some notes here and there. I began short story fiction in my twenties when I started a terrible paying night flying job that afforded me nothing in my small apartment. Today, I’m all or nothing about what I do - once I get started, I’m just fine. I’ve been on a sort of hiatus for the last year due to moving, selling, serious family health reasons for sure are a stopper. I’m back on it now. My misfit post-war submarine crew of short/flash-fiction adventurers is getting another installment.

Beta: I’ve got so much going on. I’m not saying I wouldn’t but there’s a higher chance for NO than YES.

Finally, hobbies or expertise: Cars, bikes, planes, games are the hobbies. What keeps the heat on is the Airline pilot job. (Got questions about flying, planes, social environment, etc. please send a message and I’ll try to answer it) So when all that is not taking up my time, I can do the rest.

I’m here to learn. Currently I feel I really need a good direction for revision/editing. That whole stage is where magic happens. I’m sure the pros have a system. I need to work on the order to do it right so I’m not going back where I don’t need to or missing a step.

Thank you all. Tip your wait staff. Drive safe. :)

The Urban Spaceman

Existential quandary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
theurbanspaceman.net
Welcome to AW, Rob40! Hope you find much great advice here. The only good advice I can give re: editing, is don't be afraid to be harsh with yourself. The harsher, the better. When someone, professionally speaking, tells you you're being too harsh, then you know it's time to give yourself a break.

Bon voyage.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given each week.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

LARRYD

Your Tiki Tour Guide
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.larrydarter.com
Welcome Rob40. Pleased you've joined us here at AW. I see regdog has given you some great pointers to get you started. Enjoy!