What's the most frustrating part about writing a novel?

ikennedy

Registered
Reaction score
I just like it.

Oh that too. I love writing. But I feel bad if I don't do something on my novels after a few days.

Another thing I dislike: marketing. Trying to get the book sold. Erch...

screenscope

Registered
Reaction score
I find it frustrating that the end of a novel is always so far away, until it's not, and then I'm sorry I'm reaching the end :)

maggiee19

Registered
Reaction score
Getting past writer's block and finishing it.

Xenia

Registered
Reaction score
The first-draft hell. Nothing comes out good, and you really have to force yourself to keep pushing forward. Everything that was so wonderful in your head during the outline stage is flat garbage on the page.

eaglethe2nd

Registered
Reaction score
The editing process is both my favorite and the most frustrating. I love editing but so much of it is thinking that I'm almost done and then realizing that I'm so far from that.

pingle

Registered
Reaction score
The first draft. Painful. That I've got to the end of three books still feels impossible when it seems like I write the first draft sooo sloooowly.

mselephant2015

Registered
Reaction score
Having a brain that feels like mush whenever it is writing time.

I have a toddler, so my days are spent having Frozen stickers stuck on my face and stopping said child from dropping her ice lolly into a flowerpot and then continuing to eat it. This is obviously great fun, except by the time I get round to writing (aka about 8PM), my brain feels like it's been scrambled and I can't even remember what my story's about. It is RIDICULOUSLY frustrating because I spend all day looking forward to that time when I can write and when that time arrives, my brain lets me down.

Pre-parenthood, the most frustrating thing had to be that first draft, simply because of its sheer AWFULNESS. Some of that content I wouldn't even shred for the cat's litter box, it's such poor quality. Editing, however, I love. Loved it then, still love it now.

KayMitch

Registered
Reaction score
For me i think it's the re-reading rewriting, editing, revising, dying inside as you stare at the manuscript you've edited forever because it's clearly never going to be done.

Can you tell which stage I'm in right now?

And since that is my least favourite part I always have another WIP to turn to do the actual writing stuff when I get sick of editing or overwhelmed with editing etc.

Vhb_Rocketman

Registered
Reaction score
For me I'd have to say finding an organic way to describe a new POVs appearance. Any old new character is easy enough, as long as the POV is looking at them.

But when it's the POV...it always ends up being...he looks in a mirror or some such nonsense.

ktdude

Registered
Reaction score
Having a brain that feels like mush whenever it is writing time.

I have a toddler, so my days are spent having Frozen stickers stuck on my face and stopping said child from dropping her ice lolly into a flowerpot and then continuing to eat it. This is obviously great fun, except by the time I get round to writing (aka about 8PM), my brain feels like it's been scrambled and I can't even remember what my story's about. It is RIDICULOUSLY frustrating because I spend all day looking forward to that time when I can write and when that time arrives, my brain lets me down.

Pre-parenthood, the most frustrating thing had to be that first draft, simply because of its sheer AWFULNESS. Some of that content I wouldn't even shred for the cat's litter box, it's such poor quality. Editing, however, I love. Loved it then, still love it now.

Ah, I feel your pain. Have a 4 and 2 year old and by the time they're in bed (ie now) I've taken to noodling about on here, reading writing articles, reading other people's book reviews and synopses and basically anything other than doing the damn writing. I write so much better during the day, when I can.

For me the hardest thing at the moment is accepting that probably half of the words I've written so far are going to hit the Recycle Bin at some point. The stuff I'm writing now is so much better than the stuff I was writing at the beginning, but it means re-drafting big sections and weaving backstory through the plot in a smarter way. So yeah, trying to drop in backstory with infodumping. That's my biggest issue.

EmmaSkysong

Registered
Reaction score
For me the hardest thing at the moment is accepting that probably half of the words I've written so far are going to hit the Recycle Bin at some point.

Yep, this is the same for me. In my case, it took me a long time to learn what deserves a place in the story and what's detracting from the overall theme/plot/character arcs. The first draft of the novel I'm polishing up right now started at 240k, and now I've crunched it down to 120k. Oddly enough... I didn't have to change the plot or reduce character development, but somehow I cut a second novel's worth of extraneous words from my story. :Shrug: Oh well, my newest WIP is on track to not be a repeat mistake. :)

unthoughtknown

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jennifersando.com
When you know a scene is shit, and is not working, and needs to be rewritten, yet you can't find the energy to do it and so you just close the laptop and drink wine instead.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
I dont know how many words I wasted on MS2, but it was a lot. The final count was 96k but I spent a lot of time rewriting act 2 and act 4. Back to back to back. 2 months rewriting Act 2 over and over (out of 7 months total timeframe).

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
For me the hardest thing at the moment is accepting that probably half of the words I've written so far are going to hit the Recycle Bin at some point. The stuff I'm writing now is so much better than the stuff I was writing at the beginning, but it means re-drafting big sections and weaving backstory through the plot in a smarter way.

I dont know how many words I wasted on MS2, but it was a lot. The final count was 96k but I spent a lot of time rewriting act 2 and act 4. Back to back to back. 2 months rewriting Act 2 over and over (out of 7 months total timeframe).

I'm a first-time novel-writer, and I've thought from the beginning that I'm going to wind up writing 3 times as many words for it as end up in the final version. I've had a few scrap-and-redo scenes already, and I haven't even begun revisions on a completed draft, yet. I've cut whole chapters, or plan to combine and condense multiple chapters in the revision. And, I changed the life circumstances of a character halfway through, so a chunk of the first half needs to be rewritten to reflect that. I'm aware of this, have been aware of it from the start, and it's still a difficult reality to face.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
Hah, I lie to myself every time.

"It's just this section"
"It's just this chapter"
"It's just this act"
"It's just this once"

And then I'm amazed every time when it takes ages, is the whole book, needs multiple rewrites. Self delusion can be very useful!

EmmaSkysong

Registered
Reaction score
Hah, I lie to myself every time. [...] Self delusion can be very useful!

Heh, I do this too. "If you get this chapter done, you can go take a break and read that really good book."

I know I won't finish it in the two hours I have before bed, and that I won't have time to read before sleep... but it keeps me going. :roll:

Harlequin, did you find all those rewrites made a definite positive impact on your story?

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
Rewrites are how I write :) I dont really plot or plan, just throw words at paper until I find things I like, and then I try and string them together. At some point, about 2/3 through I start doing developmental synopses to pull everything together. Even then I usually end up with continuity errors and need buckets of revision to fix it

ktdude

Registered
Reaction score
Ha, it's so comforting to know that we're all in this together, fighting the same battles. It's all gotta be fixed in the end I guess, I'm just putting it off for now while I'm in full flow!

Rewrites are how I write :) I dont really plot or plan, just throw words at paper until I find things I like, and then I try and string them together. At some point, about 2/3 through I start doing developmental synopses to pull everything together. Even then I usually end up with continuity errors and need buckets of revision to fix it

That's how I'm writing to a tee. Throwing words at paper (screen), getting excited, realising I've ironed out a plot hole but in doing so, have completely nullified a huge portion of already-written words. Sigh.

EmmaSkysong

Registered
Reaction score

That's very interesting! Quite different to how I approach a first draft. I've slowly come to realize that for me personally, having some vague skeleton of a plot saves me so many headaches (and I throw out less stories this way...). If I don't have at least some idea of the end I'm writing toward, I run into soo many problems. I wish I could go full-plotter mode, and waste fewer words, but alas I lose my inspiration if the story is too fleshed out before I get writing. I also need to be able to throw words at the paper and see things unfolding organically as well. :)

Ha, it's so comforting to know that we're all in this together, fighting the same battles. It's all gotta be fixed in the end I guess, I'm just putting it off for now while I'm in full flow!
That's how I'm writing to a tee. Throwing words at paper (screen), getting excited, realising I've ironed out a plot hole but in doing so, have completely nullified a huge portion of already-written words. Sigh.

It is very motivating! And oh man, I can totally relate to nullifying other parts of a story with a revision to fix an unrelated problem. It also sucks when you have to go back to a dozen other scenes and weed out small references. @_@

I don't think I've hit the most frustrating part yet. Just hope the first novel is the hardest.

Oh no! As in, everything has been frustrating so far? Don't give up! I think you learn something new with every novel, but the first one is often the hardest, because not only are you learning to write, but you are learning to put words on a page that develop characters, plot, theme, etc., but then you have to eventually revise, then edit, get critiques and revise again, etc. It gets easier each time you do it and the more you learn. :)