What's the most frustrating part about writing a novel?

Some Lonely Scorpio

Registered
Reaction score
Incorporating all my research into the story. That and revising it later- as much as I want to improve my writing, I KNOW it's going to be much harder than actually writing the book itself.

Larry M

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Making sure that as each chapter is written, everything flows, the pacing is right, and it feels​ right. For me, that usually means that when I add several new chapters, I'm going to have to start at the beginning and read it all the way through - again.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
Becoming cross-eyed dotting all my Ts. :roll:

Everything is multi-phasic, so I think each "phase" has frustrations. If I had to choose one, I'd say not knowing critical information before I invest time and energy into something. By doing extensive research before I write, I know I will increase my chances of success (and have fewer issues later).

SimaLongfei

Have a laugh with me
Registered
Reaction score
The first page. Sometimes the first chapter. Often times the first line I'm writing for the day. Building that initial momentum is always the hardest. From there on, I can just ride it like a bike going down hill.

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
The first line of the day is pretty rough, depending on how much sleep I've had and whether or not yesterday was productive.

Oh, and sacrificing dialogue that reenforces the story's themes because you've got to get the plot back on track and make things happen.

Wait, it's being on page 230 only to realize there are holes in said plot, which you may or may not have been able to avoid if your outline was tighter and you'd taken more time to plan the chapters in question yet you didn't because you're best hours are the two before work every morning.

No, no, it's trying to shut out the inner critic after going through all of that and enjoying the rest of the ride, plot holes and all, because if you're not having fun then neither will the reader.

Ok, the whole thing is hard.

Justobuddies

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Registered
Reaction score
Finishing. Not rambling, chasing each cool new shiny you think up all the way down the rabbit hole before realizing there's supposed to be an overarching plot that holds the novel together. So after 60,000 words you realize you have... ... ... nothing, except a tome of unrelated vignettes. :Headbang:

BCAlexander

Registered
Reaction score
Florida... The good part... Yes, there is a good p
First line of the day. First line of the novel. First chapter. The first draft. Everything gets easier for me after that. I love editing. I have no problem seeing that something isn't working and I love fixing, adding, or subtracting because each time I feel more confident in the story because it is now better than before. But all that might have more to do with my self-confidence. The first draft is always a mess and can be demoralizing when looking back at it.

Curlz

cutsie-pie
Registered
Reaction score
Deciding which plot bunny should join the current plot and which should wait till later :Jump:

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
I spend a lot of time at the beginning of chapters - especially the first one. I have to find the MC in my mind, see where he is and what he's doing. Environment, feelings, plans. Once I have that I'm good to go, but it takes a while sometimes.

sideshowdarb

Registered
Reaction score
Query letters.

And trying to keep great lines of dialogue you know have to go.

SimaLongfei

Have a laugh with me
Registered
Reaction score
Nooooo! Never sacrifice great dialogue. Reuse, recycle, cannibalise somewhere else. Someone else even. BUT KEEP ALL THE LINES.
On the flip side, kill your darlings.

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Writing the damn thing is the worst part.

Followed very closely by massive edits which require cutting and adding and rearranging and rewriting. T_T

Come to think of it, what sucks is the whole entire process. :D

morngnstar

Registered
Reaction score
Plotting. Especially the middle. You love the beginning. You love the end. They don't go together and everything else between is boring. How are you going to fix it?

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
When I realize that my outline is merely a loose guideline for how the story is going to go. More often than not, I end up veering away from the outline because I decide something else is more interesting as I'm writing.

DanielaTorre

Registered
Reaction score
Choosing the right words to convey things while keeping true to my character. I could spend an hour on a single paragraph about crossing the street.

Last edited:

MadAlice

We're all mad down here
Registered
Reaction score
Like someone said above, the middle. Getting into the second act, and thinking...now what? How do I get from this exciting beginning to the exciting end?

That and coming back to read the whole thing after (you think) you're done, and realizing how much more work there is to do.