Not really a rejection, but...

LuckyStar

Registered
Reaction score
This may be interesting or helpful. Especially to newer writers on the query merry go round.

While looking through my query spreadsheets, I noticed I had a full out on a manuscript since 9/6/16 and hadn't heard back yet.

I sent an email requesting an update on the status of my ms. Here's what I promptly received:

Subject line: OUT OF OFFICE

Body of email(I removed the names and added the XXX):

I am no longer working at XXX, and will not be able to respond to your message.

If you are inquiring about film rights, please contact our film agent, XXX

If you are inquiring about subsidiary rights, including musical setting rights, please contact XXX

If you are sending a query, I am unfortunately no longer acquiring or accepting queries. I wish you the best of luck in your writing.

Best,
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]XXX

[/FONT]
There are a few lessons we can learn here.

I think, number one, don't be afraid or hesitant to request an update on the status of your ms.
This full request was sent in 2016! Who knows when the agent decided to up and leave. There was no indication in the email. So, I could've easily avoided any agony of waiting, waiting for a reply...until it became so long I forgot all about it, by just sending a quick request for an update any time after six months.

Next lesson, don't let it get you down. Rejections of any kind can drive a writer crazy. Don't let it. I could easily get into a downward-spiraling funk about this, but why bother? This was three mss ago. I'm not going to let this interrupt the work I'm doing now.

You notice the email doesn't mention anything about the status of fulls this agent requested. So, they are in limbo, or otherwise they are assumed to be rejected. On a personal level, I find this poor business practice or at the least a bit rude. The agent could've used some aplomb and dropped a note saying sorry, I'm out of the business, or at least a rejection. But, I've been in this business long enough to know that this kind of thing happens all the time. And not just with agents. It happens with editors, etc.

I guess the moral of this story is keep on forging ahead. Don't count your chickens before they're hatched. I know getting a request for a partial or a full is a giant step when you're just starting out, but don't let it hijack your current work. Don't stop working on other projects, and don't stop querying your ms just because you got a request. Rejection comes in all shapes and sizes in this business. Keep going until you have a genuine offer.

lis_kb

Registered
Reaction score
I also have an experience like this... I sent a query to an agent who said he answered to all queries within 30 days and if he didn't answer to nudge him. He didn't answer within 30 days so I went back, checked the agent website, and found he had moved on sometime after I queried him. So I queried another agent with the agency and she ended up requesting a full!

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
It took a God awful long time to publish some of my novels. I had tons of rejections over the years. Lots of praise too, to keep me going. If you nudge and get no response after a while, definitely move on to the next query or submission. If you keep submitting, you keep increasing your chances. If you are mad persistent, you will get your acceptance down the line.

Tarley

i was normal 6 dogs ago
Registered
Reaction score
I nudged an agent who had my full for about 4 months. I just had a wonky feeling something was amiss and sure enough she replied back that she had lost it and to please resend. Stuff happens and it definitely pays to follow-up.

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
talonwraith.wordpress.com
If the agent moved to another agency it's possible they lost your contact details but could still be interested in the book - any idea where they went?