Greetings from Istanbul

Kucuk Joe

Registered
Reaction score
Hello I am new and very excited to join this community.
I'm trying to write and publish short stories and I hope novels one day.
I don't write in English but Turkish as English is my fourth language. My main foreign language is french. I also speak a little spanish and italian too.
I am graduated from Psychology but don't work as psychologist.
I have translated 4 books in all 2 of which were published.
I started journaling at the age of 13, and have a blog (in turkish) since 2005. I think it helps a lot with my writing.
Beside writing and translating I like spending my time solving chess problems and playing matches against the computer since I hate losing to real people :tongue
What else can I say about myself? I used to read a lot and in many genres, but somehow I've lost this "ability", which is the biggest handicap to my writing in my sense. I read a lot of turkish personal blogs instead. But not fiction.

Are there other Turkish writers around, or even other writers that don't write in English but still think this forum is useful for them?

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given each week.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
Hello Kucuk Joe :welcome:

English as a second language (ESL) is tough to do, but necessary in today's age (as English is the primary language of people over the Internet). Your English looks good; better than some native Americans I know. :D

It sounds like you are very analytical and good with data management. To me, these are critical skills for writing fiction. However, one needs creative skills as well. You should try the writing/word games in the Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits sub-forum. I think these can help with the creative stuff, and help with English (if you feel you have any issues).

Kucuk Joe

Registered
Reaction score
Hello regdog,

I briefly looked at them already. Weekend progress report sounds very exciting. I am planning posting there as soon as I accomplish some progress. I want to ask you something. I have an idea for my last short story. I would like to hear other members ideas, is there another place I can post it or does it fall into "share your work" category?

Kucuk Joe

Registered
Reaction score
Hello Enlightened,

Thanks for stopping by and the compliment too.

Yes I am very analytical indeed. :) I had never thought this skill would be important for writing fiction. Hmm I should reconsider it.
Ok. I'll take a look out there.
You know what, I love templates of all kind. İt's like digital stationnery to me. May be one day, I should consider designing some too. You gave me this idea.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
Below are some things that are analytical, that can help with writing fiction. You are right (digital stationery); I can take these documents (on a thumb drive or uploaded to a cloud server, like Box.com for free) wherever I go to work.

Here are some I generated (fiction, novel writing)....

Character Bios with information like: SWOT Analysis; siblings; parents; who killed them; who they killed; primary/secondary/tertiary character type; species; full name & nickname; era notes (are they present in all eras, or just one or two of my 3); spells known; potions known; special talents (spellcasting, wildcrafting; wandcrafting; other); what chapter and book they first used spells/potions and against whom; how they change over time (good to bad, other); melee and range weapons known (and in what chapter/book they picked it up if new); events of character evolution.

Storyline development: I have a TOC with links to books in the same document (intra-document linking). Each book has title, outline/author notes, prologue, events/chapters, and epilogue. In the Outline section, I add chiasm elements within the same era of books. What happens in book 1 must conclude in the final book of the era. It's easiest to organize solutions to generated problems this way.

Chapter titles: I generated over 1,000 chapter titles. These are broad. The intent is: 1) I don't want to ideate them later; 2) readers look at the ToC to see if chapter titles are fun; if they are, they may buy the book.

Character Names: To date, I have about 430 last names, 200+ female names, and 200+ male names. This will facilitate my time writing when I need new characters. I borrowed this one from Rowling.

Timeline and Chiasm: This is a visual of my three-era series (that spans 25 years). Based on Gustav Freytag's dramatic structure (one for each era), I know where (following chiasm) to dump the books in the overall action and times of lull.

Spells and Potions: I developed a sepctrum of dark and good magic. This document has lots of checkboxes and details of who spellcasted the spells, who made the potion, are modifiers used, and so forth. How does the spell, potion, other evolve throughout the books, if at all.

Novel Page Counts: I have an Excel document (with equations) of how many pages I can expect each book to be, based on how many pages the book has (ranging from 250 to 2,155 pages). These go by 5 page increments. Each 5 page increment is based on word counts from 250 - 310 words per page, also in 5 word increments). This will help me decide how many pages I need (based on how many words per page) and how many chapters I need (to meet my word limits; e.g. 80,000 words for book one).

Heraldic, Mythical, Legendary, and Hybrid Beasts: Custom creatures; creatures from folklore of the region I will focus on; links to all sorts of corporeal and incorporeal beasts and humanoid critters.

Fact Finder: This goes with the Storyline Development document. Once I ideate chapters in the other document, this is where I elaborate what goes into every chapter. I added a section on encyclopedia entries (if my books do well, and I want to make one of these for die hard fans). Other things are challenges/problems of characters to address in other books/eras. I added detailed information on character deaths (victims, assailants, assailant reasons for killing them, method of death. I added a section for Easter eggs (if I want to add any). I added much more, but these are some elements.

Competitor Book Analysis: I did one of these for Harry Potter. I know how many pages exist for each book. I know how chiasm is used in all 7 books. I know how many pages per chapter for all books (and page ranges for each chapter). Stuff like this helps me guide my chapter writing.

Riddles: I made a document with riddles. When and if I need them, I can plug n play.

Dialogue: I wrote a lot of pithy dialogue as I thought of it. I can toss these into scenes if needed. This will facilitate writing and minimize writer's block.

Book descriptions: These will help me generate teasers for public platform advertisement of the books.

Range and Melee Weapons: Database of Weapons I can use, but do not have to.

Miscellaneous Writing: I have a tone of fun things to ideate conflict, creative elements, and so forth. I have links to things like spoonerisms, aphorisms, catachresis, contronyms (or auto-antonyms), homographs, herteronyms, homonyms, malapropisms & eggcorn, minced oaths, oronyms, oxymorons, and polysemes.

Architecture Features: My hero is a gardener, so I added loads of gardening elements I will show or have him speak of (these are fun things). I added obscure things like what duckboards are what not. I won't go into detail on this, but I will use this to help me ideate chapters. Where I want them to occur in my landscape,a nd what mischief I can get characters into with these elements. I have a detailed listing of architectural elements of castles and fauxburgs.

I have much more, but I thought I'd let you see what you can do. I spent 5½ months generating all this content, as well as research the specifics of my story, chiasm, and what not. I researched what fans liked of competitor books. I researched literary agents, and what I must have to submit.

I will build templates on the materials most requested by literary agents.

As I write my first book (starting next month), I will build my public platform.

Kucuk Joe

Registered
Reaction score
Oh Enlightened, this is mind-blowing to me! İt's like with the analytical skill you defined all the building blocks of a fantasy story, and then developped them ready be "played" I want to say. Because this list makes me think of a lego box for fantasy writers. Everything is ready and there, you just have to think of the most creative way to assemble them. I will copy this in a document and see what I can do to adapt it to my stories later. This makes writing so much fun. Like a game.

And also, I notice that instead of losing time with "can I do it?", "am I good enough?", "will I ever be published?" instead of all this self doubt ideas, which seem now a total waste of time to me, you spent your time generating ideas and material and analyzing competition. This is so clever. You are already set to win.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
That is a great analogy (Lego bricks). I can create as I pick up new pieces to put here and there. If something does not look right, I can swap pieces for other pieces I have at the ready. For me, I am highly organized. This work, for me, is best done before I write. Most people do this kind of work while they write. Ultimately, no matter what route you take, you end up doing this research, organization, and writing. It all balances out in the end. Like you said, it is like a game this way. You are limited to your imagination. However, do not over research. It is impossible to get it all done before writing. You will do research while you write.

Also, my lists are elaborate, because (if my books do well, one at a time) I will make this a series of books. This pre-work I did will help me finish books faster. If you do something like this, for just one book, you need to do much, much less than I did.

I like to take guess work out. This is project management. Manage it like a multi-phased project.

Good luck with your writing. Writing novels doesn't have to be a daunting thing for analytical people, if managed.

Last edited:

Denevius

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Interesting biography.

Best of luck, and welcome to AW!

Maria Ale Barrios

Registered
Reaction score
My first language is spanish but I write in English too. It's super useful to me.

Welcome!

Kucuk Joe

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you Enlightened for all these precious advices. I will definitely keep them in mind. Good luck with your books too!

Kucuk Joe

Registered
Reaction score
Hello Maria! I don't write in English, but it's already been useful to me. Thank you for the welcome!