What is a movie you like but everyone else hates?

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
The Skeleton Key with Kate Hudson. This is a cerebral movie; at least the ending is. Some do not like it for the ending is unclear to many. This is not a movie I like to any great degree, but it is one of those movies that many hate. It is an okay movie.

I like The Others with Nicole Kidman. Many people do not like it. It also has a nice twist at the end of the movie.

Seaclusion

Absolute Parsley
Registered
Reaction score
I like "Joe Dirt". It's silly, but with a hopeful message and being a very pessimistic type person, it's hard for me to like blind hopefulness. So when I do, it's usually something very different.

I also like the worst movie ever made, at least by box office receipts, "Cutthroat Island".

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
I like Wreck-it-Ralph but the wife hates it.

SimaLongfei

Have a laugh with me
Registered
Reaction score
I loved Valerian: City of a Thousand Planets, and Jupiter Ascending, both for the same reason. I love train wrecks. The movies are so bad, they become good comedies. And the visuals, those remain outstanding, so unlike other comedies, they've got good cinematography to match.

Kithica

Registered
Reaction score
The Robin Hood movie starring Russell Crowe and Cate Blanchett. The script is a hot mess, and the ending enrages me every time, and it's kind of not even really about Robin Hood, but there are twenty minutes in the middle where it's basically a medieval screwball romantic comedy and I really love those twenty minutes. Plus the art direction is stunning.

talktidy

Registered
Reaction score
First 20-30 minutes of Stargate. Love, love, love Spader crossing out "door to heaven" (or whatever it is) and editing it to "stargate" and the scene with the gate's big reveal. The rest of the movie not so much.

Always thought a much better TV show could have been mined from that material, too.

SimaLongfei

Have a laugh with me
Registered
Reaction score
I grew up very much liking the Stargate TV show. Maybe because the Air Force felt like real people in a real military, unlike Star Trek. And they weren't boogiemen, which is always a big temptation in writing. Though, because of lack of Sci Fi TV shows, I might have been easy to please at that age, too.

JE.AllenStories

Registered
Reaction score
DOOM - The Rock, Karl Urban

I agree with you on that. Not the best movie, but when he goes in to First Person mode, I sat up in my seat! Definitely a fun movie.

Last edited:

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
I can't think of one like the OP states, but I have an opposite. When I finally got round to watching 'The Princess Bride'*, (after having seen parts of it here and there) I couldn't take it. After a few scenes I fast forwarded through the whole thing. (that way at least I could see what everybody was talking about.)

*so many people I like said they liked it. Ok, I'll give it a shot.

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh where to begin, I love a lot of movies that critiques would squash.

Ladyhawke
Jaws 3(My fave of all the jaws movies)
Backdraft
Under Seige
Con Air
Grease 2
The best little whorehouse in Texas

Last edited:

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
I can't think of one like the OP states, but I have an opposite. When I finally got round to watching 'The Princess Bride'*, (after having seen parts of it here and there) I couldn't take it. After a few scenes I fast forwarded through the whole thing. (that way at least I could see what everybody was talking about.)

*so many people I like said they liked it. Ok, I'll give it a shot.

I actually didn't like it the first few times I saw it, either. (Family loved it, and kept watching it over and over, and finally it grew on me.) I think it goes down better after reading the book, and in some ways I wish the script had stuck closer to the book version of events.

I'm no stranger to liking films others hate and hating films others love. Seems many people consider the 1980's film Dreamscapes a bad film, but I thought it was fun, and they did a great job capturing the surreality of dreams; that snake beast in its multiple incarnations was nightmare fodder, though the FX don't age well. As a kid I had a soft spot for the Cyndi Lauper/Jeff Goldblum movie Vibes, about the psychics seeking the lost city in the jungle - just plain silly, but with a good heart. And I admit to chuckling at the clunker The Three Amigos.

Last edited:
Reaction score
And I admit to chuckling at the clunker The Three Amigos.

I had to look this up on Rotten Tomatoes. Pretty much all my friends in high school loved that movie. I just assumed it had a good reception, but it did not. I guess that's one of mine too then.

NathanBrazil

riff-raff
Registered
Reaction score
I'm no stranger to liking films others hate and hating films others love. Seems many people consider the 1980's film Dreamscapes a bad film, but I thought it was fun, and they did a great job capturing the surreality of dreams; that snake beast in its multiple incarnations was nightmare fodder, though the FX don't age well.
I loved Dreamscape - an early Dennis Quaid flick. Who are these people? I think ima need a list.

Last edited:

NathanBrazil

riff-raff
Registered
Reaction score
I loved Valerian: City of a Thousand Planets, and Jupiter Ascending, both for the same reason. I love train wrecks. The movies are so bad, they become good comedies. And the visuals, those remain outstanding, so unlike other comedies, they've got good cinematography to match.
C.H.U.D. would have to fall into that category. I think they mastered the recipe for train wreck:

1. Incoherent plot – There may have been a hint of one - barrels that were actually a cover up for something much worse, but not much else.
  2. Random events without any foundation. Faucets suddenly erupting in geysers of blood and gunk. Why? I don’t know. I think the director must have said something like, ‘You know what would be really cool?!’
  3. Feebleminded characters who would’ve failed the basic shape sorting cognitive test. A woman ran into a room where we could all see a fire escape immediately behind her. One of them geysers shot forth from the drain of a sink. She screamed and ran … right into the arms of one of the beasties.

It was a non-stop laugh fest. Probably much more enjoyable in the theater, where you could scream, “The fire escape!!! Right there! No!!!!” My apologies, if I don’t have all of my facts straight. It’s been a long time since I’ve seen that movie.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I absolutely hated John Wick with a passion. I mean, I may have yelled at the screen at how fucking shitty it was. Pure crap. Hate. And I have always loved Keanu Reeves movies. I hate John Wick. Die

NathanBrazil

riff-raff
Registered
Reaction score
I absolutely hated John Wick with a passion. I mean, I may have yelled at the screen at how fucking shitty it was. Pure crap. Hate. And I have always loved Keanu Reeves movies. I hate John Wick. Die
The one Keanu movie I really didn't care for was Johnny Mnemonic. The cyber-dolphin was just too much for me.

Criccieth

Registered
Reaction score
The Skeleton Key with Kate Hudson. This is a cerebral movie; at least the ending is. Some do not like it for the ending is unclear to many. This is not a movie I like to any great degree, but it is one of those movies that many hate. It is an okay movie.

I like The Others with Nicole Kidman. Many people do not like it. It also has a nice twist at the end of the movie.

I like The Others, though I have to admit I saw the "twist" coming about 20 minutes off. That is partly because I like that twist and have read a few short stories with it in, so I started to see the clues.

Criccieth

Registered
Reaction score
oh - and I love The Three Amigoes - it's just very light-hearted fun.

I was......meh about The Last Jedi. It had some excellent bits but I'm too Original Trilogy to be happy with what they did to a certain male character.

Can I admit to liking Superman 3? And not just for the Clarke/Evil Superman scene? I actually like Richard Pryor's character in this, and the whole relationship between the Evil Quartet. Plus, even as an adult (though I have to look past the dodgy special effects) the scene where whats-her-name gets turned into a robot is still pretty scary - in idea if not visualisation!

NathanBrazil

riff-raff
Registered
Reaction score
No you cannot admit that. *Jots Criccieth's name down.* We'll deal with that later. Actually liked Richard Pryor's character, but hated the movie. I heard that many hated Hackman's portrayal of Luthor. That just blows my mind. One of my all time favorite actors. I don't think I've seen him in a move that I didn't like.

Last edited: