Primitive lifestyle in rain forest

Status
Not open for further replies.

ForeverYoursCaffiene

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I got two pages of notes through this discussion. A great start! Thank you. I'm open to more if there's any other information you would like to share.

ForeverYoursCaffiene

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
One thing you haven't mentioned: do they have any remnants of their original plane/vehicle to work with? Even scrap metal could be useful for cutting or toolmaking, or the shell could make a shelter (at least, at first: as they adapt, they may find that the crash site isn't an ideal base of operations, and move away to somewhere more suitable.) Did the vehicle come equipped with any emergency survival equipment? They'd probably turn to that before running out into an unknown jungle with unknown predators, parasites, or other dangers to build a stick hut, unless there's a compelling reason to abandon the site (radiation or some other danger - or the vehicle crashes in water or somewhere else impractical to access.)

Definitely seconding/thirding/whatevering suggestions to look up books on wilderness survival, even in non-rainforest situations. The mentality required for adaptation is pretty universal. (My suggestion would be to start with some Gary Paulsen, particularly his book Guts, about real-life incidents and stories that inspired his classic MG novel Hatchet and the rest of the Brian Robeson series, which feature a city boy learning to survive after a plane crash in the Canadian wilderness. Also look for numerous real-life accounts of survival.)

And whether their clothes or other items would be useful... depends on what they're made of, and this being sci-fi, that would be up to you. A durable material would probably work well, assuming it could be cut or torn into strips. But if their clothes are made to be recycled (for sanitation reasons, perhaps), they could biodegrade fast in a damp, humid environment.

I think if the plane sunk into the water, it would fit the story a little better. I like the idea of the clothes being made to recycle, and I think that fits their home planet well. I haven't heard of recycable before, so I assume it's a sci-fi concept? I don't know what they would look like though. I was thinking capris, t-shirt, etc. They're pretty much on a planet tour, so I think casual dress is good.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
I think if the plane sunk into the water, it would fit the story a little better. I like the idea of the clothes being made to recycle, and I think that fits their home planet well. I haven't heard of recycable before, so I assume it's a sci-fi concept? I don't know what they would look like though. I was thinking capris, t-shirt, etc. They're pretty much on a planet tour, so I think casual dress is good.

The idea of paper/disposable clothing isn't new; expanding it to the idea of all clothing being recyclable would be a sci-fi thing, but one that could be plausible, particularly (I'd think) if you were in a situation where laundering clothes wasn't a viable use of limited energy or water. (It could also be an outgrowth of a society where sustainability and recycling are the norm; piling old junk in landfills is *so* twentieth century, plus you get a nice fresh wardrobe on a regular basis and don't have to worry about long-term storage.)

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Seriously, watch Survivor... also The Amazing Race, on which people routinely travel with paper underpants.*

*That makes it sound like that's some sort of traveling companion ('this is Bob, my underpants.') -- they're contestants on a global race who basically tote a backpack a piece, so paper underwear and similar items (magical crushable SPF-rated hats!) have long been staples for some people, because it's easier than bringing tons or washing and they need clothes for various climates.

Survivor contestants are dropped, as a group of strangers, fully clothed, with often no extras but a bathing suit and a couple of undergarments, on a tropical island, for a month. They're filmed 24/7 and most end up walking around in a bathing suit or their underwear most of the time by like day two. They also have to make fire, their own shelter, etc., etc.

Last edited:

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm obssessed with the palaeolithic era and studied some of this kind of thing at university (how palaeolithic people survived, their technologies, etc) and I write prehistoric fiction and just generally love the entire subject so have done a lot of research over and above what I learned at uni. For my stories I've had to research the practical/how-to aspect of palaeolithic technology. (At uni you look at stone tools and infer stuff like cognitive abilities of the people who make them, but you don't learn how to actually make one unless you study experimental archaeology which I didn't, but probably should've :greenie )

Please bear in mind that some answers will vary depending on the environment and my practical knowledge is more suited to Northern Europe. However some things will be the same regardless, or will be variations on a theme.

So anyway, in answer to your questions:

I'm researching primitive lifestyle as a means to survive. How would you imagine that going? What do you see them doing?

I would assume these:
1) Make primitive weapons for survival: spears, wooden swords?

For hunting, a bow and arrow and/or a spear and atlatl would probably be best for their situation. If they're in an Amazon type rainforest, look at the hunting weapons of the Yanomami people or similar. They have poison blow darts - it would take a while before they discover which plants/animals would have suitable poison in them. The Yanomami way of life is over ten thousand years old. You gather a huge amount of knowledge in that time. So poison darts are probably not a viable option for your people. A spear and atlatl is easier to make than a bow and arrows.

For defence against animal predators, fire and rocks (i.e. throw rocks, have a fire, wave a burning stick to stop them coming near). Always keeping a fire lit is a good way to keep predators away. It's not as big a deal as you'd be led to believe, but bears and wolves have attacked humans that are camping in the past. Knowing what's in the area is more important. Bears and wolves aren't an issue in the UK. I don't know what animals would be an issue in a rainforest but I'm guessing things like poison snakes etc.

If they're the first humans in the area then they don't need to defend themselves against other humans. If there are already humans in the area, then making friends, trading and learning skills and gaining knowledge from them is a far far far better survival strategy than preparing to fight. As in infinitely better. They won't win a fight when they have little to no weapons knowledge against people who've been there for thousands of years and know how to make hunting weapons that are deadly and accurate at a range of hundreds of metres, and know every inch of the surrounding area. Plus their absolute best way of learning how to survive in the area is from people who already know how to survive in the area.

2) Campfires - Grind rocks together to start a fire?

No. You need either flint and iron pyrite (a kind of rock that has a high iron content), or, if they have some modern things with them, flint and steel. You bash them together and it creates sparks. You then need some very fine, dry plant material for tinder (which catches alight from the spark- you'll possibly have to blow gently into it to keep the spark alight) and also kindling (something that will catch alight fairly easily from the tinder but will burn for long enough for the rest of the wood to catch alight. The art in starting a fire isn't in making the spark, it's in nurturing that spark until it's a fire that will keep burning. If it's dry, this is fairly easy. When everything's wet it's nearly impossible (there are videos on you tube about how to do this, both with wet and dry wood).

Alternatively, there are various friction methods for lighting fires, which involve rubbing wood on wood, including the firebow method mentioned upthread. They're a bit more difficult but you can learn how to do them on You Tube.

3) Cut down trees for wooden houses - But how if there's no metal for cutting?

Don't cut down trees unless you really need to. If you really really need to cut them down (I don't see why you would) then you can make a neolithic axe. Make a large stone tool (that's a skill in itself and if none of your characters already know flintknapping and have no way to learn, then they probably won't be able to do this) that has a cutting edge at both ends, and haft it to a sturdy piece of wood. You can use other kinds of stone tools to whittle the wood into the right shape. There are videos on you tube to learn flintknapping. But IMO trying to cut down trees is a bad idea unless you're already good enough at agriculture in the area, which they won't be. Better to leave the trees alone.

Make a bivouac out of wood you find lying around. Branches that have fallen from trees etc, or you can break them off. Prop these up against a larger tree, then use other vegetation to fill in the gaps and make it waterproof. If they're in a warm climate, they don't need so much shelter. Warmer climate means there are a loads more animals etc. which could be a threat to you, and knowing how to avoid them is local knowledge that I don't have.

You don't need really thick branches to make a bivouac. 5cm thick is more than enough. If they have modern stuff with them, e.g. tarpaulins, these are excellent for keeping the bivouac dry.

Wattle and daub and similar is another way to make a basic house without cutting down trees. This would be better in a cold climate. Instead of leaning your branches against the tree, you make a hut from the branches, using fairly thin ones and a pliable wood like willow (sorry I only really know Northern European examples) - you put the main sticks in a circle that forms the overall shape of your hut, and weave other branches in between (leave a gap for the door. Then you mix up wet mud and/or shit (cow dung is good for this if you have animals, if not then I wouldn't advise human or any carnivore/omnivore shit but herbivore shit is fine) and slap it all around the hut to make the walls. This dries giving you a substantial, fairly strong hut. You make the roof with more branches, with other vegetation filling in the gaps. Could be like a thatched roof, or could be one that uses large, waxy leaves to make it waterproof. There are probably how to videos on you tube for this.

Finding the right place to build the hut is important. Don't build it on a flood plane or anywhere too damp. You can use fire to keep it warm but make sure there's enough ventilation for the smoke to get out and you build a hearth in a place where it's not going to set the whole hut alight. If you're in a warm enough climate the whole house/hut building thing isn't so crucial. You need a shelter to keep the rain off and keep your stuff. In a cold climate, no fire = death. Humans only started living in Northern Europe after they started using fire and animal skin clothing. If it's warm you won't need the fire in the hut but it's a good idea to have a fire outside to keep predators away. And to cook food.

If they're able to hunt big animals and get large animal hides, then animal hides can be used to cover a shelter. Hunting large animals isn't easy, it's dangerous and requires considerable skill. Hunter-gatherers spend their entire childhoods developing these skills and once they're old enough to hunt large animals, it takes a number of years to learn the skills needed to hunt well. Humans are co-operative hunters, so younger hunters learn from older ones.

4) Added: Clothes: For clothes of 2-3 years old in the rain forest, I assume they still exist and are wearable, but may have wear and tear, some more than others. The MC was 6 years old and is growing up though during that 2-3 years, and I assume they grow faster. I assume clothes are still good. If not, would leaves, vines, and fur be the next option for the entire group?

If MC was 6, there is no way her clothes would still fit her when she's 8 or 9. Why bother with clothes at all? If it's cold enough that you need clothes to stay warm, you can make them out of animal hides. If they're hunting animals for food, they can prepare the hides to make clothing and other textiles. Look up "brain tanning" on you tube - if they've got enough food that they don't need to eat the brains of the animals they kill. (To avoid prion disease, it's probably best not to eat the brains anyway.) There are other ways to tan hides that use bark/tannins (hence the term "tanning"), and there are videos on you tube for how to do it.

If it's warm and wet like in a rainforest, then clothing is a liability. Go naked.

Chances are the story will take place a few years later, but I want that gap between crashing and the present to feel possible.

Any thoughts are welcomed.

There are loads of videos on you tube with various survival skills. The best resource for survival skills and knowledge in any particular ecosystem is people who've lived there for thousands of years. Wannabes who make TV programmes about drinking piss may have some short term survival skills but you're talking about surviving for more than a few days.

You haven't asked any questions about finding food or water... I'm assuming a hunter-gatherer scenario because it takes a long time to grow crops. Even if they're growing crops they will have to do a lot of hunting and gathering, a) before the first crops grow and b) to supplement their diet as small scale agriculture doesn't give you a wide variety of food and c) you can't just domesticate animals overnight. A hunter-gardener way of life like the Yanomami do (i.e. getting meat from hunting and plant foods from both gathering and cultivating plants) is probably what they'll end up doing.

Gathering food in an unfamiliar environment is a risky business because you don't know what is or isn't toxic. Most plants are edible (they don't all necessarily taste that good) but you get a few that can kill you - and some plants have one part that's edible and another part that's toxic. Toxicity is even more of a big deal with fungus - there are some nasty ones out there that will kill you in horrible ways. Like the death cap - which looks very similar to edible mushrooms. People who've lived as hunter-gatherers for thousands of years in a particular environment have a vast and extensive knowledge of all the local plants, including medicinal uses, which ones taste best and which ones are toxic (and also how to use the toxic plants and animals for things like poison darts).

If your people have crashed in the area it may be that they learn the hard way that certain plants are toxic. Another danger from lack of knowledge is that you completely miss very useful edible foods. I once read an account of Native Australians thinking some European settlers were nuts as they were dying from dehydration surrounded by a plant that has a lot of stored water in their roots. Kind of like starving to death surrounded by tinned food because you don't know what a tin opener is. Colonialists who treat the native people like shit instead of respecting them for their vast knowledge (and the basic fact that they were there first and you're a guest on their land) trying to make friends and develop trade relationships and share knowledge don't get my sympathy.

Hunting isn't something you learn overnight. Trapping animals is another possibility, if you know how to make a suitable trap from what you've got around you. I've researched less into trapping as the characters in my story hunt using bows and arrows, and spears and atlatls, and the Neandertals in it hunt using close range weapons (thrusting spears), stealth and ambush. I wouldn't recommend the Neandertal hunting techniques unless you're built like a Neandertal and know what you're doing (i.e. you grew up in Neandertal culture and learned the Neandertal way of life). There's lots of evidence of broken bones in the Neandertal fossil record, and the pattern most closely matches rodeo riders, i.e. caused by large animals. Projectile weapons like spears, arrows, etc aren't easy to learn either, especially due to the high level of accuracy you'd need to successfully kill an animal, in addition to the skill you need at making them. There's a tribe in Africa (sorry I don't remember the name) that can make longbows that are deadly and accurate at a range of 400m, just from stuff they find in nature around them (sticks, sinew, etc). You don't learn those kinds of skills overnight, or even in just one generation.

A hunting method that doesn't necessarily require much in the way of weapons but takes a ton of stamina (like running several marathons) and knowledge of the local prey, tracking, etc, is persistence hunting, similar to the !kung San people of the Kalahari - you run after the animal. It runs away. You track it down. It runs away. You track it down - repeat until it dies of heat exhaustion then you eat it. This may take a couple of days. When it finally succumbs to heat exhaustion, you don't need weapons, albeit that the !kung San also use throwing spears while hunting this way, because the animal dies more quickly. It's thought that early human ancestors (e.g. Homo ergaster) hunted this way (without the projectile weapons) before they developed much in the way of hunting weapons. They probably still would've had pointy stick kinds of spears (no stone tip) and could throw rocks at it. If your characters have the stamina for this, it might be a way they can hunt. But how many people in industrialised countries have that much stamina?

Water - there are ways to filter and purify water but if they're there long term it's probably better to get immune to whatever's in the water. You need a billy can to boil water. If they have modern things with them (e.g. in the wreckage of whatever crashed into the island) then building a water filter and boiling water in a billy can or any similar contraption won't be that hard. Over time, they'd get less into boiling water and more into getting over the initial diarrhoea and/or vomiting to develop immunity to whatever's in the local water. The water may be of high enough quality that this isn't an issue. Hopefully they're all sensible enough to not piss in their drinking water.

All in all, it's not going to be easy for them to survive and if they crash in this place, then three years later have a thriving Neolithic style village I'd find that stretches plausibility to the extent that I'd stop reading. (Note that if they get adopted into the culture of people who are already there and that's why they're doing so well, it wouldn't be so implausible and I'd like them for not being bigoted colonialists.)

If they're alone and they have people among them with prior knowledge of some basic hunting/trapping techniques, the ability to start and sustain a fire and build a basic shelter, then managing to just about survive as hunter-gatherers/hunter-gardeners is plausible. The first year or so will probably feel like hell but as their skills and knowledge improve they might reach a point where they are living a bit more comfortably. Being so close to nature is usually good for mental health. Being plunged into a completely unfamiliar world and forced to abandon everything you know and try to find a new way of life is extremely stressful. Once they get over that stress, the mental health benefits of being close to nature might start to kick in.

Beware of rabbit starvation, i.e. a diet insufficient in fat - small animals like rabbits and lean animals like caribou don't provide enough fat. Hunting larger animals and eating the bone marrow and other fatty parts, or finding vegetable sources of fat (e.g. eating lots of nuts) is essential. There's a reason why we evolved to like fatty foods.

Last edited:

ForeverYoursCaffiene

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Great info. I watched Survivor from a rainforest and was surprised by how quick death can be for one person, but she barely survived after nine days. Those bot-flies (SP?) and larva growing under the skin was nasty. Don't know how the group would avoid those unprepared.

How long would casual footwear last? With the rain and thick mud I am assuming they'd be discarded sooner than it being damaged. I would assume many didn't go with boots, so I'm thinking tennis shoes, socks, etc. I was originally thinking normal clothes would be gone in a few years, but now it's sounding like a few days.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.