Another excited Newbie from Toronto!

shamzie

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Everyone! I am currently writing my first novel (been five years) and looking for a supportive community to help guide me to finish it! Tips on being committed to writing everyday and how that looks like would be greatly appreciated. Also scared about the editing process -- daunting! Writing an unconventional love story (about arranged marriages).

Love to read many genres: sci-fi, drama, non-fiction, romance, etc. Put it in front of me and I will read anything!

I have had a tough 2017 - made some huge life changes with my job, marriage, moving. Professional and personal volcanic eruptions that forced me to take a new path in life. Writing is my passion and very cathartic. Hoping to finally finish and publish my novel. Law of Attraction is huge for me and what I have asked from the Universe last year is now taking place in 2018.

Looking forward to learning a lot about writing from this forum :)

-Shama

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
Hello Shama, :welcome:

You found the right forum; lots of great resources and people!

You will not write everyday. Real life interrupts, and it is good to take days off, every so often. You need to recharge the batteries. My best advice is to write, if time permits, when you are your most productive. For me, I am a morning person. This is when I do my best work. Some people need time to get kick started, and some do not have time (or cannot do their best work) till it is dark out. Find what works best for you. If you have your optimal times down, and focus on those, your productivity should be strong and steady.

This does not mean not to try working at other times. Experiment.

I edit as I go along. I write till I hit a mental block then edit what I wrote (maybe only 5 pages). This helps me to re-focus, or may generate new ways around the block that made me stop. I think the majority of people, on this forum, would disagree with doing this. It works for me.

Last edited:

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Shama. If you look sort of southeast and see a person waving, that's me. Man, the ice formations out here are amazing.

Maryn, near Lake Ontario

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given each week.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

joresgump

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Everyone! I am currently writing my first novel (been five years) and looking for a supportive community to help guide me to finish it! Tips on being committed to writing everyday and how that looks like would be greatly appreciated. Also scared about the editing process -- daunting! Writing an unconventional love story (about arranged marriages).

Love to read many genres: sci-fi, drama, non-fiction, romance, etc. Put it in front of me and I will read anything!

I have had a tough 2017 - made some huge life changes with my job, marriage, moving. Professional and personal volcanic eruptions that forced me to take a new path in life. Writing is my passion and very cathartic. Hoping to finally finish and publish my novel. Law of Attraction is huge for me and what I have asked from the Universe last year is now taking place in 2018.

Looking forward to learning a lot about writing from this forum :)

-Shama

Hi Shamzie!

My first novel took 7 years, so go for it! It will end when it has to end. Life always has a way to meddle (after all, it's the life support of the writer each of us has inside :p), but your novel will wait for you. In my experience, writing is like life itself, sometimes stops completely, sometimes it flows.

Welcome to te forum :)

LARRYD

Your Tiki Tour Guide
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.larrydarter.com
Welcome Shama. Sounds like an interesting book you're writing. And, here is to a better year in 2018! :hi:

shamzie

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you! Trying not to be so hard on myself when I don't write. I absolutely agree that we need to take a mental note of when we are most productive. I read a book by Hal Elrod about Miracle Mornings for writers. I can't get up early! Typically the most productive at night so haven't been able to switch to become a morning person. I envy those early risers because I truly believe a sunrise is inspiring!

shamzie

Registered
Reaction score
Waving back Maryn! The ice is amazing....the -30 below isnt, lol!

shamzie

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the encouragement, Cesar! My goal is to finish this year and publish, God willing!