Scrivener Help: Choosing What's Visible in Full Screen

BreeC

Registered
Reaction score
I'm using Scrivener version 2.8.1.2.

When I'm in full screen mode, with a zoom of 300% (which is what I really need, because my screen size is rather small), when I type anything, the part I'm typing at is aligned at the very bottom of the page. I can't see anything underneath it, only what's above it. Ideally, where I'm typing would land in the middle of the page.

Does anyone know how to adjust this? I have looked through all of the settings and drop-down menus and can't seem to find the solution. In advance, thank you for your help!

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Go to the Format Menu, select Options, and then choose Typewriter Scrolling. No matter where you type, it will become the middle of the page.

BreeC

Registered
Reaction score
Go to the Format Menu, select Options, and then choose Typewriter Scrolling. No matter where you type, it will become the middle of the page.
Unfortunately, that does not work. :/

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Huh. I wonder what's different about your settings from mine. I just tried it on "Compose" to see if that made a difference, and it didn't. That is what Typewriter Scrolling is, so if you have the option, it should do it. Did you try typing something after you selected it?

BreeC

Registered
Reaction score
Huh. I wonder what's different about your settings from mine. I just tried it on "Compose" to see if that made a difference, and it didn't. That is what Typewriter Scrolling is, so if you have the option, it should do it. Did you try typing something after you selected it?
Yes. After I selected it, I started typing in Full Screen on a paragraph, and it automatically took the line I was typing on and put it at the bottom of the page. I'm not sure what's going on here. :/

- - - Updated - - -

Does it perhaps take the top of the paragraph you're typing and center that?

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Weird. That's what it does to me when I turn off the Typewriter Scrolling.

Hmmm, the only suggestion I have for you here is to hit the "wrap" button at the top to show the pages instead of one long bit of white, and that will at least let you move up and down your current page, so that you only have to have it at the bottom of the screen when you reach the bottom of the page. You'll have to manually move the page yourself, but at least you have the option

ETA: when I'm in the wrap mode that shows spaces between the pages, even if I had Typewriter Scrolling, it appears not to center. But it also doesn't force me to the bottom of the page, so I don't think that's your problem.

Last edited:

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Does it perhaps take the top of the paragraph you're typing and center that?

Not for me. It is whatever line I typed on. If I type on something further up the page, it jumps to make that the center line. If I'm adding to the end of the document, it centers the end.

georgeet

Registered
Reaction score
Website
georgeverethompson.com
I think the problem may be related to the 300% zoom. Try decreasing the zoom and see if that changes things, then switch back to 300% and see if the problem persists. If that doesn't make a difference then try changing the font and font size to see if that helps.

Last edited:

talktidy

Registered
Reaction score

BreeC

Registered
Reaction score
I would suggest you post your query in the Literature and Latte forum. Presume you're a Mac user, while I use the Windows version, but it sounds like the sort of thing that may very well be a known issue.

http://www.literatureandlatte.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=22&sid=6d1f81684f0e95e4d3c1b469920195b3

If there's no joy on the forums, you could contact the Scrivener helpdesk. http://www.literatureandlatte.com/contact-us
Thank you. I'll post in the Literature and Latte forum. :)

BreeC

Registered
Reaction score
For those facing the same problem, I got the solution in the Literature and Latte forums. Here it is:

Preferences > Editor > Editing Options: Typewriter scroll line.

Mine was set to "bottom quarter of screen" instead of "middle of screen."

Sue D. Nimh

Recovering Lurker
Registered
Reaction score
Do you write directly in Scrivener or do you transfer your work into it? Sorry if that's a dumb question. I'm new to it. I haven't purchased it yet but I think I will once I get a new computer in about a month. One very looooong month!

talktidy

Registered
Reaction score
I compose in Scrivener.

Way back in the early Jurassic, when computers were still relatively new-fangled things in the workplace, I used to write correspondence in longhand and then type the stuff up! These days I am barely aware of the process of typing; it’s a smooth transition of ideas onto a virtual page – they may not be brilliant ideas, but that’s a different matter.

I was used to MS Word, but it didn’t take me long to acclimate to Scrivener’s somewhat different look and feel of its editor.

It’s generally easy to import documents into Scrivener. Though IMHO Scrivener works best for composing something from scratch. If you are trying to import a large novel length document, you may encounter some difficulties in splitting it up into chapters/scenes.

I suggest you play around with it as much as possible, read the manual, and look up the how to guides on youtube. It’s a lot to get one’s head around, so I would suggest you start off by concentrating on the core features.

If you definitely want Scrivener you can buy it now and use it on your shiny new computer, PROVIDING you don’t change platform i.e. old and new computers are both Macs/Macs or Windows/Windows. Once you buy, you will be given a Key to activate. You can use that key on something like 5 computers all using the same platform.

Sue D. Nimh

Recovering Lurker
Registered
Reaction score
I compose in Scrivener.

Way back in the early Jurassic, when computers were still relatively new-fangled things in the workplace, I used to write correspondence in longhand and then type the stuff up! These days I am barely aware of the process of typing; it’s a smooth transition of ideas onto a virtual page – they may not be brilliant ideas, but that’s a different matter.
Hand on heart, I long for the Jurassic era again. (That's a whole other thread!) I do love to type. But, there's something to be said for the days of handwriting and typewriters. They afforded more time to consider your word choices between the time they came to you and the time it took to get them on paper. But, at 51, my hands appreciate being able to type!

It’s generally easy to import documents into Scrivener. Though IMHO Scrivener works best for composing something from scratch. If you are trying to import a large novel length document, you may encounter some difficulties in splitting it up into chapters/scenes.

I suggest you play around with it as much as possible, read the manual, and look up the how to guides on youtube. It’s a lot to get one’s head around, so I would suggest you start off by concentrating on the core features.

If you definitely want Scrivener you can buy it now and use it on your shiny new computer, PROVIDING you don’t change platform i.e. old and new computers are both Macs/Macs or Windows/Windows. Once you buy, you will be given a Key to activate. You can use that key on something like 5 computers all using the same platform.

Thank you for one of the best answers I've received to any question so far! You touched perfectly on every niggling concern and subquestion I had. Concise, thoughtful and intuitive, almost as if you read my mind. Many thanks! In all sincerity, I could live without Scrivener. I love manually organizing, charting, and piecing bits together! But I absolutely cannot refuse the option to have my work formatted automatically into different printing styles. (eBooks, Kindle, etc.) That alone is worth the $45.

I just have to decide which computer I'm buying first. I have an 11 year old iMac that needs replacing. I want to stick with Apple because I love it, but I'm having a very difficult time justifying the egotistical expense of another one! Especially since I now want a laptop for the portability. I can justify the expense for another iMac (desktop) because this one lasted so long, but laptops always seem to have more problems and don't last as long. I want a Chromebook, but that means NO SCRIVENER. And I hate Windows 10, so... I have to get this figured out so I don't buy Scrivener in the wrong format!

talktidy

Registered
Reaction score
I suppose you could go for another iMac and, once you'd saved a little more dosh, purchase something like a cheapo no frills device for the portability. You would not be able to use Scrivener on that device, but you could transfer your new text to your Scrivener project at the end of the day.

There is an unsupported version of Scrivener for Linux, but whether that works on a Chromebook I am not entirely sure. I suggest you look up the Literature and Latte forum for clarification and more information.

Sue D. Nimh

Recovering Lurker
Registered
Reaction score
I suppose you could go for another iMac and, once you'd saved a little more dosh, purchase something like a cheapo no frills device for the portability. You would not be able to use Scrivener on that device, but you could transfer your new text to your Scrivener project at the end of the day.

There is an unsupported version of Scrivener for Linux, but whether that works on a Chromebook I am not entirely sure. I suggest you look up the Literature and Latte forum for clarification and more information.

Again, you read my mind! I just posed these questions in the other thread here on the Tech Forum. I laid out my situation as a whole for people to advise or polk holes in because I'm just too close to the situation to think logically right now.