Any creditable services providing professional critique of writing sample?

SteveCorwin

Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently working on a memoir and would like to have my opening chapter critiqued by a professional in the field for an unbiased opinion of its form, style, and hook.

Any suggestions?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
If you look in our Publishing FAQs section you'll find some good editors listed there. But first, get your work critiqued by your peers; and give lots of critiques yourself, because it's the best way to learn how to refine and improve a text of your own.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

There are several ways to do this.

At some writing conferences, some publishing professionals will do that for free. Willamette Writers Conference is one. Of course, you have to pay the fee for the conference.

At the back of Jeff Herman's Guide to Publishers, Editors & Literary Agents, is a list of reputable independent editors. I've used that list twice for different types of books. You can find the book in your library, probably, or order it online or find it at your nearest bookseller.

Once you have 50 posts, you can post your sample in the memoir section of Share Your Work. Password is vista. You may not receive a professional opinion, but you will get readers opinions of pacing and such like.

Best of luck.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

SteveCorwin

Registered
Reaction score
thanks all for the info, especially about the 50 posts. Guess I'll go read all those pinned posts I should have read when I first registered this morning. lol