Another "I" or "me" question

mafiaking1936

Nihil debetur. Nihil debens.
Registered
Reaction score
"It never felt right, you and _ on opposite sides."

I know characters don't always use perfect grammar in dialogue, but this character is supposed to be rather educated. So, which is correct? I think it's "I," but not sure. Thanks!

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The correct pronoun is the one that would stand on its own if there was no "you and".

"It never felt right, I on opposite sides."

OR

"It never felt right, me on opposite sides."

In this case, it would be "You and me".

morngnstar

Registered
Reaction score
The correct pronoun is the one that would stand on its own if there was no "you and".

OR

That's generally the solution to unlock your intuition, but in this case, neither makes sense, because one person can't be on opposite sides.

Instead I'd say substitute "we" or "us". In this case "us" sounds right, so objective case "me" is also correct.

I can't come up with an analytical explanation of why it should be objective case. I thought it would be subjective, because it's the antecedent of "it", which is the subject. But antecedents don't agree anyway. But I'm sure intuitively that "we" would be wrong.

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
If he's educated, I'd perhaps look at the cliche of 'being on opposite sides'. E.g., It never felt right, us as opposite ends of a revolving door, constantly set in motion to chase each other."

I love the poem "Book Ends" when it comes to expressing opposition: the similarities between father and son as book ends, but how the education caught in the pages between the book ends set them wildly apart, showing how the two parted ways.

I'd just look at something a little more unique to his way of expression via word choice too.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
Our being on opposite sides never felt right. << My opinion, keep grammar traps out of your writing (e.g. use of you and me, other). If you make readers labor, they may abandon your work.

GregFH

Registered
Reaction score

OR

I disagree. What never felt right? The fact or state of the two of them being on opposite sides. There's an implied verb in the second clause: You and I being on opposite sides, or our being on opposite sides. You should use either the possessive + gerund or the nominative, but certainly not the objective case.