Changing more than requested in R&R

kssmith626

Registered
Reaction score
So, not sure if this is the right forum, but if not, please let me know.

I got an R&R from a senior editor at a publisher (I subbed directly to publishers, no agents). The editor requested a few changes, and the only one that wasn't purely mechanical or stylistic was to remove exposition when it slows the pace of the story (which I agree with, and she gave an example of the most exposition-heavy section). I responded and asked if there was anything related to characterization or plot she'd like me to tweak while I'm looking at it, and she said no.

My question is- Can/should I update small things as I go through? I don't want to change anything plot related or add/delete scenes. Just maybe adjust some dialogue, etc. Is that ok?

It's possible that I'm just being paranoid, but the changes she asked for seem relatively minor, and after a few rejections I guess I've got it in my head that more needs to be changed (got feedback that my female MC was too harsh, etc.). Maybe I'm just overthinking...

Thanks!

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Changing one thing may necessitate changes elsewhere, in the interests of consistency and continuity. You will likely be more aware of such things than an editor will be. Shouldn't present a problem, methinks.

caw