New agents vs. established

Girlsgottawrite

I write at work...
Registered
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on working with new, unestablished agents at good agencies vs. going for one with a better record that may not spend so much time on your book? I'm thinking about sending a query to a very new agent working under a badass agent at her new company. Her interests seem similar to mine, but she has, maybe, two clients.
I'm really new to this so I thought it might be nice to hear some pros and cons.
Thanks,
Courtney

Last edited:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
If the new agent has some experience in publishing then yes, that can be a great route to take.

(This fits better in Ask the Agent, rather than in Publishing FAQs, so I'm going to move it there now.)

Last edited:

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
New agents are fine if they have experience with the agenting thing. However, I don't think that new agents are specifically going to spend more time on you as a client than a more experienced agent. (The only reason this might be true would be if a new agent didn't have other responsibilities at the agency - many of them do, either handling certain parts of the administrative work or otherwise assisting the senior agents - or if they never signed more clients - which would be a bit of a red flag to me anyway because it would either indicate they were too busy to rep more folks or they didn't have the experience to handle a larger client list.) Agents only make money when you do so it really doesn't follow that reputable agents will sign a client and then not work to get their MS sold.

One thing to be cautious of with new agents is every now and then you see folks who are so excited about being an actual agent that they sign a bunch of folks off the bat and then struggle because they haven't learned how to balance the workload yet.

NineLimes

Registered
Reaction score
I've had a brand new agent (I think I was her 5th client*) and an experienced agent. I'd never sign with a BNA again. I understand that it works out great for some people but your odds are better with someone who's been in the business, knows more editors, and has more tricks up their sleeve. Of course a new agent has that fire, but they don't have clients you can call and get references and so yeah. It's a risk.

*Details changed to protect the innocent. It's not her fault she was figuring things out.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
A new agent in an established agency can be a good choice to query because she's probably building her client list and the relationships built by that agency with editors will help her build relationships with them too. Most of those agents, I believe, start in junior roles in that agency, so they might have already built some of those relationships and worked on many aspects of agenting in an unofficial capacity.