Formatting a Chapter Outline for Prospective Agent

lis_kb

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I received a revise/resubmit request from an agent. She wants me to send a chapter by chapter outline of the revised novel before I start rewriting as the structure was one of the biggest issues that needed revision. Does anyone have any suggestions on the proper way to format such a beast, or the usual lengths of a novel outline? It's about five pages and I have condensed down as much as I can to have it still make some sense.

Thanks in advance!

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Chapter outline format: Put Chapter Outline for [Your Title] at the top, centered or on the far left. Then list each chapter by title if they're titled, by number if they're not. Beneath the chapter titles or to the right of the chapter numbers (with a colon after the number) write one or two paragraphs. Yes, distill the essence of the chapter, but no, you don't need to keep the outline size way down. Ten to twelve pages is fully acceptable, and it can go higher if you need it.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

lis_kb

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you Siri! I was especially wondering about length. It almost feels like a completely different book when told in five pages versus ten and it doesn't feel as strong because I have to leave out so much.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

The point of an outline is to show what's going where. You can't do that if you leave out too much.

Keep in mind that chapter outlines are not synopses and not queries, both of which require a lot to be left out. Not the same with outlines.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Treehouseman

Registered
Reaction score
I've seen established writers use chapter pitches rather than queries. They also help get your "ducks in a row" in terms of your own idea of where the MS is going.