Kindle Unlimited - does time on page count?

DiloKeith

Doesn't scare easily
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dilokeith.wordpress.com
Does KU factor in the time spent on a page when considering the book to be read? What if someone quickly clicks through the pages without actually reading? I thought I read somewhere that there has to be minimum time.

There are some KU books I read completely offline, so the author will not get credit unless I do something about it. I'd like to go online and page through the book, but I'm wondering if doing it too quickly won't count. (I don't mean using the Page Flip mode, which I don't think pays authors.)

Thanks

Last edited:

DiloKeith

Doesn't scare easily
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dilokeith.wordpress.com
The system isn't processing my post edit, so I want to add:
I don't mean using the Page Flip mode, which I don't think pays authors.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
If you read offline, your device keeps track of how many pages you've read, and when you connect to the internet, the author gets credit for all those pages. The other day, for example, I think I had someone who'd read all three of my books connect to the internet, and I got a huge chunk of pages read.

As for minimum time, I'm not sure about that.

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I would hope as long as the reader flips the page the author would get paid, I know when I come to some boring things that I have no interest in I tend to scan the page quickly and flip through rapidly until I get to the juicy bits that I like in a novel.

What is page flip? I just click the right side of my kindle screen to turn a page, I hope the authors are getting paid.

DiloKeith

Doesn't scare easily
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dilokeith.wordpress.com
If you read offline, your device keeps track of how many pages you've read, and when you connect to the internet, the author gets credit for all those pages. The other day, for example, I think I had someone who'd read all three of my books connect to the internet, and I got a huge chunk of pages read.

As for minimum time, I'm not sure about that.

Thanks. There were some books accidentally removed entirely, so they won't sync.

I would hope as long as the reader flips the page the author would get paid, I know when I come to some boring things that I have no interest in I tend to scan the page quickly and flip through rapidly until I get to the juicy bits that I like in a novel.

What is page flip? I just click the right side of my kindle screen to turn a page, I hope the authors are getting paid.

Page flip mode is a feature available on some Kindles to keep your place and let you jump around to different pages while reading, for example, to check a map or a previous chapter, or to scan many pages with thumbnail views. It's not meant for reading the whole book even though you technically could. It's not the same as turning pages quickly with the regular method.

However, if I'm remembering correctly, there could still be something that keeps track of the time spent on the book, so if you did it too quickly, your total wouldn't be enough to count. That's the bit I'm trying to confirm.

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
I would hope as long as the reader flips the page the author would get paid.
Not necessarily. There are well-known scams in KU where bots are downloading books and paging through them to generate KU revenue. Amazon has been cleaning house, but they haven't caught all the scammers yet, and probably never will.

I suspect there are some variables involved, from how fast the pages are read and how regular the intervals are, that can distinguish between bot reads and human reads. However, this is pure speculation, of course, since Amazon tends to keep its secrets well hidden.

Last edited: