I'm basically that girl in the bar that maniacally yelled GOATS! at you and is now hiding.

smorrigan

Registered
Reaction score
Hey,

So i'm new and this feels awkward as hell. I used to write as a kid but stopped for a few years (okay a good few years) because all my energy was being put into starting my own farm. Now the business is up and running i've been writing the story that has been shaping itself during long hours of repetitive tasks. I want to do it justice and improve as a writer but I don't share work with people I know (Fantasy and farm types don't always mix) so i'm hoping I can share it this way.

*Raises a cup of tea at you*

Nice to meet you all, I guess?

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Hey,

So i'm new and this feels awkward as hell. I used to write as a kid but stopped for a few years (okay a good few years) because all my energy was being put into starting my own farm. Now the business is up and running i've been writing the story that has been shaping itself during long hours of repetitive tasks. I want to do it justice and improve as a writer but I don't share work with people I know (Fantasy and farm types don't always mix) so i'm hoping I can share it this way.

*Raises a cup of tea at you*

Nice to meet you all, I guess?

Fantasy and farm types don't mix, you say? May I direct you to our annual Sekrit Solstice SFF Story Swap in my signature, where I believe several participants raise quail and/or chickens and one's a goat farmer? :D You're in good company here. Welcome!

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome. Running your own farm must be fascinating (not to mention flat hard work).

PorterStarrByrd

nutruring tomorrows criminals today
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome aboard
Yeah, sharing stories/books with people you know is seldom productive if you want real opinions

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given each week.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

smorrigan

Registered
Reaction score
Fantasy and farm types don't mix, you say? May I direct you to our annual Sekrit Solstice SFF Story Swap in my signature, where I believe several participants raise quail and/or chickens and one's a goat farmer? :D You're in good company here. Welcome!

Squeal! It makes me so very happy to think that there are other farm/fantasy types!!! Thanks so much for the heads up X

smorrigan

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome! And well done on getting a whole farm up and running, that sounds like a shedload of hard work. I hope you get your fantasy story finished :)

Thanks Cameron, I can see you've managed to finish work and get it published. Any tips on getting a novel finished?

smorrigan

Registered
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome. Running your own farm must be fascinating (not to mention flat hard work).

Hey Lakey,

It keeps me on my toes and it's always interesting being a young farmer... people always ask for my dad when they visit the farm. Its especially funny because A) he doesn't live there and B) he's a hairdresser by trade haha

smorrigan

Registered
Reaction score
I just wanted to say that everything goes better with goats.

(Also, welcome!)

Except rose bushes... they are rarely complimented by goats and should be kept far away from each other haha

Last edited:

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
Except rose bushes... they are rarely complimented by goats and should be kept far away from each other haha

True. My Aunt Katherine raised goats and I know they will eat just about anything.

I did add lots of goats to my last fantasy novel, mostly because it was fun. :)

smorrigan

Registered
Reaction score
True. My Aunt Katherine raised goats and I know they will eat just about anything.

I did add lots of goats to my last fantasy novel, mostly because it was fun. :)

This is unbelievably exciting for me! Whats the title and where do I find it :)

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
This is unbelievably exciting for me! Whats the title and where do I find it :)

Hee. I just signed with my new agent last Friday, so we have to sell the book first.

But I think I should add some goats to my current WIP, which is under contract. Alas, that won't be out until 2019.

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
Perseverance. Wine and perseverance. And tea. Don't sweat the quality of the first draft, just get the story down, then you can go back and polish it all up.

What he said.

I've had five books published, and I have two more under contract. Even after you make a sale, the key is butt in chair, write that draft, and edit it later.

- - - Updated - - -

Perseverance. Wine and perseverance. And tea. Don't sweat the quality of the first draft, just get the story down, then you can go back and polish it all up.

What he said.

I've had five books published, and I have two more under contract. Even after you make a sale, the key is butt in chair, write that draft, and edit it later.

JackieZee

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome! I can empathize with writing ideas in my head during long repetitive tasks, though I suppose running a farm and watching small children aren't EXACTLY the same. :)