Rant about rewriting

blackcat777

Registered
Reaction score
I'm curious to hear your tales of when you realized you had to rewrite and oh, did it hurt so much? ;)

I was about 3/4 through my zero draft (90k), and had the entire thing plotted. But I was missing two little backstory details for two of my MCs, and when I finally figured those details out, the ramifications snowballed into me basically having to crumple the draft and trash it. This is the first time I've trashed so much of a project while actively working on it.

My plot skeleton of events is still exactly the same, but I realized all of my character's interpersonal dynamics were wrong.

I feel like that first 90k was just me sketching skits and ideas, riffing on characters and trying to figure them out... despite the fact I spent an enormous amount of time mapping characters before starting the zero draft. O_O Lesson learned: don't start writing next time until I figure out how to make every main character BULLETPROOF three-dimensional. Close to three-dimensional was not enough, and that was what broke me.

It was the necessary process to find the crystal clear vision of where I need to take things, so it's good. But. I feel slightly deflated seeing a new word count of less than 10k. I know it's not about the word count, at all, but my pride says HHHRRRRRRMMMMGGGGGFFFF. I wanted to hold a completed rough draft in my hands by the end of January. That was the original goal.

On the bright side, I had no idea how to deal with the fact I had a novella planned between books 1 & 2 (ugly situation for any kind of pitching or marketing). It occurred to me how to chop it, split it between the two novels, and reorder them accordingly (easier said than done), which will make everything WAY more marketable. It also let me introduce a theme in the first book that I wasn't sure of how to introduce later, from a marketing standpoint. My subconscious was chewing that dilemma for months.

So yay!! Yay for rewriting!! I also finally figured out a title.

I knew going into this project that I adhered 100% to "allow yourself to write crap," with a sense that I'd have to do some rewriting. I didn't expect an overhaul to the degree of lighting 90k on fire, but it serves the story.

The end.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
I'm really curious what the details were, as in, how you could get really far into the story and then discover the mis-match. I make up stories in a different way*, I think, so I never encounter anything like this.

*I write the text of the story and figure out the events at the same time.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Sometimes, you have to get neck-deep in a story before you realize how to tell it, and you have to spend some time with your characters before you really understand them. Even outlines don't always tell you what you really need to know... hence, first drafts.

As for what you already wrote... well, it can't be all wasted if you brought you this far.

Good luck!

blackcat777

Registered
Reaction score
I'm really curious what the details were, as in, how you could get really far into the story and then discover the mis-match. I make up stories in a different way*, I think, so I never encounter anything like this.

It surprised me, too, because this was the first novel I fully plotted from A to Z. One of the issues I had was that this is my first stab at a sequential series, vs. connected standalones.

My second male MC did something Dark and Terrible that is the focus of later stories and doesn't factor in to this one. I knew the mood I wanted, the ultimate cost, what he's doing to try and fix it, but I left the details up in the air because I knew they could be better (and the details weren't theoretically necessary until book 2). Until I realized... what he did altered his appearance slightly. The purpose of this character is to represent all the things the hero doesn't want to confront, and I was already crafting this tension between them--but--if what changed about his appearance can trigger the hero the second they meet, make their conflict full-blown in the first sentence, it's aces. I can go back and make everything ten times more psychologically agonizing, which is the point.

So it was the first time I had a development mature to the point of needing a rewrite.

The other issue was my FMC. She just wasn't as awesome as my other characters, she was starting to bug me, and it took a lot of searching to figure out why. I decided to change her operative from "seeking" to "fleeing." She has a secret that bonds her with the hero that she was supposed to spill early, but if I have her hold onto that secret until the end of the second act, I can make her interactions with the hero more conflicted. She has to lie and mislead everyone out of self-defense. I can make my other MC aware that something is up but keep it to himself. Everything still washes out the same in terms of sequence of events, but everything happening between all of my characters is a lot more charged.

So really, it's all good, and I'm happy, but I still want to sit in a pile of crumpled papers and roar.

As for what you already wrote... well, it can't be all wasted if you brought you this far.

I have about 30k of other story threads that don't intersect with the hero yet, so most of those should be safe. (*I realized they are missing some critical info still... BUT... ;) )

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score
I knew as I was writing my current WIP (for NaNoWriMo) that I'd have to do a lot of rewriting on the second draft. There were a few things I came up with on the fly without thinking about how they really integrated into the world of the story (e.g. establishing teleportation magic as a thing prior to it becoming plot-relevant), a decent chunk of the story where I didn't actually know for certain what happened prior (because I skipped part of the middle act to go to the last), a fight scene that didn't really feel necessary to the story (three should be enough, I figure), needing to work in foreshadowing for the plot twist, and...well, simple dumb things like "why am I having my protagonist consider her meetings with the deuteragonist as 'dates' when the entire point of the second act is her not being sure if she's actually in love with said deuteragonist".

But I wasn't really worried about it. Multiple drafts to perfect a story is just a thing writers do, and...well, to be honest, given my abysmal record of actually finishing anything novel-length, the idea that I had a first draft to build upon was exhilarating. It was a confidence-booster. And as I've been working on the second draft, rewriting most of it while preserving the bits I like, it's been fun and a very nice feeling. (I even just came up with a new tidbit about the culture of one of my non-human races in how they choose their leaders—in a sense of "choosing".)

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I used to pre-plot my entire novels and generally had to do massive rewrites at some point for the same reason. Seems that I can't construct an entire character in my head, I have to write them for however many pages before they start "speaking" to me. Once I have that, then I see where all the main plot points are all the same, but everything between, around and through those points are all different. Occasionally, I discover that I've written a completely wrong character, which demands massive rewriting.

It can get extremely frustrating, but I've always come up with better stories from it, so I'm learning how to deal with the frustration.

Writing is a constant learning curve, IME. There's always a new discoveries about my process with every work.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I'm curious to hear your tales of when you realized you had to rewrite and oh, did it hurt so much? ;)

I had finished my novel and was submitting it to agents. Mostly dozens of rejections with a few "let me see more" before final rejection. I had had it beta read, and had it beta edited during the aubmission process. I thought it was a pretty good story, until I let another editor beta read and they told me the story idea was good, but the execution had too many flaws that only an entire whole cloth rewrite could help it. I tried to ignore that advice -- an entire rewrite? That's a lot of work! -- but more rejections made me rethink things.

I trunked the novel for several years and went on to other projects. But the MC wouldn't leave me alone and the more he bothered me, the more I had to write the story. I liked his character. So I wrote a new scene, with some new characters. OK. That was fun. And I write another scene. And another. And soon I was rewriting the entire story. The only resemblance between the original and this are the main plot is similar, the MC, a couple other characters, and the antagonist are also similar. The MC's backstory is different and there's now a love interest subplot.

I like this new story a lot better but it still hurt being told the other novel wasn't very good and I hated the thought of doing a rewrite, but once ai got started and saw where it was going, I enjoyed it in the end.

morngnstar

Registered
Reaction score
I've pretty much accepted that I'll have to write at least a million words before I have a hundred thousand printable. Part of it is being new at writing. Part of it is giving myself the freedom to write badly that keeps me making progress instead of stalling until I have the perfect book written in my head.

sideshowdarb

Registered
Reaction score
Lesson learned: don't start writing next time until I figure out how to make every main character BULLETPROOF three-dimensional. Close to three-dimensional was not enough, and that was what broke me.

Not 100% on what you mean by bulletproof, but I don't think this is possible. I rewrite so much and discover things as I go that it's just part of the process. Not everything in a character is going to be on the surface the first or hundredth time through. Your conception may be wrong, and it's not until you get X amount into it that you know. It's a lot of work to get to that point, but that's how you get there. No work is wasted. You've learned something, and you can probably use it somewhere else.

I'm a pantser, so I can get very far down the line without being certain on some details. I've been struggling recently with my current novel. It's the third of a trilogy. It was going great, and then broke down. I knew something was wrong, but didn't know what. It's taken a few weeks to get to the idea that a key structural element of the previous book was off. That is a lotof work. That is something that will piss you off. But I'm not dismayed or thrown by it. It's just how I work. I enjoy, to some degree, going back in and trying to make it all work.

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I've pretty much accepted that I'll have to write at least a million words before I have a hundred thousand printable. Part of it is being new at writing. Part of it is giving myself the freedom to write badly that keeps me making progress instead of stalling until I have the perfect book written in my head.

Yes, this is about the bargain I’ve made with myself, too, as I work on my first novel.

I’ve had an experience that’s similar to what blackcat777 describes. What I realized halfway through writing (I had already worked out an outline) was not that my character’s personality was wrong, but that her circumstances were. By changing her fundamental life situation - moving her from idle wealth to a middle-class office job - I opened up entire new vistas of conflict for her and was able to leverage some additional interesting socio-political history that I could only reference obliquely before.

It would mean rewriting substantial chunks of what I’d already written, of course. So I wrote a new outline. Then, I decided to keep marching forward in the manuscript as if I had already done that rewrite, rather than going back to the beginning right then and starting over. That means my first draft, now about 3/4 finished, is utterly incoherent. I will have to toss out or substantially revise much of the first half. But the result will be a better story, I’m confident of that.

BCAlexander

Registered
Reaction score
Florida... The good part... Yes, there is a good p
The rewrites my co-authors and I had to go through came up when we would add things to the beginning chapters in or early in a chapter. We wrote very tight work. Everything happens because of what came before. So a lot of stuff later on had to be rewritten. We also had a rubbish ending in the first draft or two. You bet your ass we rewrote at least 80% of the last six or seven chapters. But they always improved the story, so, yay!

The worst and oddest one we had was when we were nearing the end of, I think it was our seventh draft. We were at a point where we were quite happy with the story (read: we needed the next few rewrites after this upcoming on in the story) and were excited to start querying. I was proofreading the last few chapters when an idea came into my mind. What if one of our two MC was the opposite sex of what they were (subsequently we would have to change the sex of their "love interest." Not as big of a character, but still pretty important to the story). Now, you'd think that after seven drafts, the characters would be so built in your mind, they couldn't look different, sound different, act different. Let me tell you... that is nonsense. We fell in love with the idea and were surprised at how easy it was to carry over because we kind of challenged the sex's expected social roles and we didn't even lose that aspect! Our new MC, in fact, opened our eyes even further to how society views the roles of the sexes and how each are "expected" to act. We developed further a society in our story based in our world, but without those expected roles. The best writing for me is when I learn something. This was amazing. It only took a complete rewrite of one MC who is in or is mentioned in ever single chapter and their "love interest" who is in there quite a lot.....

Yay? Yay, indeed.

We can't use the original names for any other characters ever now, so there was that downside.