Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So very sorry to hear this. :Hug2:

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm so sorry ((((hugs)))) we had to put our husky down at age 14, I know how hard it can be, they become such a huge part of the family. :Hug2:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I'm so sorry ((((hugs)))) we had to put our husky down at age 14, I know how hard it can be, they become such a huge part of the family. :Hug2:

Sorry for your loss :Hug2:, and for the others who have talked about the losses of their own beloved animals in this thread.

Animals definitely don't live long enough, even when they don't get cancer or something. The last two dogs and the last cat I lost were simply old (17 for one and 15 for the other, and nearly twenty for the cat), and it was hard seeing them decline slowly and having to make that decision for when the quality of life isn't there anymore. With Wiley, it feels like an extra special blow to me, because he isn't like an old dog at all, and I really thought he would be around for at least a few more years.

It's a reminder that we can't assume anything. That goes for our own human lives as well.

taraesque

Registered
Reaction score
I'm so sorry. Its wretched to lose someone you love.

I had a neighbor tell me something when we lost our sweet dog. She said that animals have so much love to give, and they give it so freely and in such large quantities, that they can't be on the earth as long as humans. That made me feel better, because with those animals I have lost, its true, they gave me every bit of love they could, and then more on top of that. And I loved them with everything I had.

Lady MacBeth

Out, damn'd spot! out, I say.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm so sorry. Its wretched to lose someone you love.

I had a neighbor tell me something when we lost our sweet dog. She said that animals have so much love to give, and they give it so freely and in such large quantities, that they can't be on the earth as long as humans. That made me feel better, because with those animals I have lost, its true, they gave me every bit of love they could, and then more on top of that. And I loved them with everything I had.

That's so beautiful.

Ketzel

Leaving on the 2:19
Registered
Reaction score
I'm so sorry.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks everyone. He's doing well right now, acting like his normal self and resenting that he has to be on very light activity in case exercise triggers more bleeding into his pericardial sac. For how long is up in the air. Hoping the treatments keep it at bay for a little while. I am spoiling him as rotten as I can.

Here are some pictures of Wiley taken in Dec and Jan.

Last edited:

D.L. Shepherd

Revising, revising, revising...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnaowczarek.com
I'm so sorry to see this about Wiley. It is such a shocker when you think everything is fine, and then the vet gives you a devastating blow like this. I'm glad that he is doing well right now, and that you have time to totally spoil him and enjoy your last days together.

When I've had dogs on light activity, I've done some find it games in the house. Just hide a little food or a favorite toy, and have him search for it. If even that is too much activity, you can even do the cup game, where you put a piece of food under one of several cups, and have him pick out which one it's in and reward for making the right choice. Not sure if he'd like those games, but thought I'd suggest it, as mine have all loved scent games.

Thinking of you and your special boy.

Raindrop

Registered
Reaction score
I'm so sorry, Roxxsmom. From the pictures, it's obvious that he is a sweet, gentle boy, and well loved. :Hug2:

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, Wiley with the crown. What a sweet face. No wonder you love him so.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
Sweeping up the heart and putting Love away, that we shall not want until eternity-- E. Dickinson

And if there is an eternity for pet owners there must be an eternity for pets--s6

Larry M

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
So sorry to see this. Dogs have always been part of our family, and seeing them suffer makes one feel so helpless. To lose one to disease or age is so hard to take. Peace to you and your family.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
I'm so sorry to hear this news, Roxx. Animals are a special kind of friend.

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What a beauty. <3

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks for all the kind words. He's doing very well right now and just had his second chemo treatment. He's tolerating it very well (his appetite is good and he's very bouncy and no negative symptoms at all) and his pericardial sac hasn't needed to be "tapped" for over three weeks now. We're keeping our fingers crossed that he'll be stable for a while. If things are still stable and there's no sign of metastasis after his fifth treatment, we get to talk about maintenance, but with this cancer, things can change very quickly.

Wiley is a complete love bug. He's never met a person he doesn't adore and want pets from. The people at the UCD vet hospital all say he's one of those patients they'd take home in a heartbeat.

Lady MacBeth

Out, damn'd spot! out, I say.
Registered
Reaction score
Hope you and Wiley are doing well. So lovely to see pictures of him. He has such a sweet face.

bombergirl69

Registered
Reaction score
Great news that he's been doing better! Love the pics--he's adorable!! And of course, lucky to have such a loving and attentive family. Here's to a long, stress-free maintenance period and many happy walks on the beach! Cancer just so, so, SO sucks.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Wiley is stable, brassy and sassy, and doesn't seem to know he's got cancer, which is what we are shooting for. He's had four chemo treatments so far, and he's handled them very well. His lat one is next week, and after that he will be "re-staged" to see what the mass on his heart looks like and whether or not there's been any spread to other organs. We'll have to make decisions about future treatment after that.

We're trying to enjoy every day as it comes.

Thanks for all the concern and support. It means a lot.