Completed the second draft of my novel

Status
Not open for further replies.

xanaphia

Registered
Reaction score
Only took me 7 months, but I completed the second draft of my novel. Wow, I had no idea how soul-crushing editing would be, but it's so much better now. Still needs some work, think I will be heading over the beta reader section to see if i can't find a couple people to help me out there. The first draft was around 100k words, cut that down to 65k. Mostly because I had a lot of overlapping POVs, trying to decide who to best tell a scene under, but I cut and condensed several long scenes as well. Still want to write a prologue, but I am taking the rest of the week off before I tackle any more of my story.

Here is to hoping that editing book 2 won't be as painful, or take as long.

Last edited:

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, that's some major cutting to achieve your new word count. Congratulations! I know that's hard.

D.L. Shepherd

Revising, revising, revising...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnaowczarek.com
Nice work! 7 months is not bad at all for a major overhaul like that. Congrats on getting it finished!

Eviora

Registered
Reaction score
Well done! I've had to cut a few longer scenes, too. It can be a bit heartbreaking. But if that's what's best for your story, you just have to do it! May your next drafts take less time and be less emotionally draining. =3

rocoroca

Registered
Reaction score
Bravo! I find that when I cut down my word count, my story always winds up stronger and more coherent. I'm sure your novel is in its best shape yet for now :)

Status
Not open for further replies.