Book Promo Swag for Signings and Cons

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, hive-mind: I've got a book signing for the third book in my fantasy series coming in February. My publisher has provided bookmarks for the individual books, but I was thinking about creating a logo/graphic for the series as a whole, and having it printed on some kind of promo item as a giveaway.

When you attend conventions, signings, readings, etc., what kind of swag is appealing to you? I'm accustomed to seeing pens, notepads, magnets and tote bags, but is there anything else I should consider? Bear in mind that I have a limited budget, and the item would have to be large enough for the logo to be effective (for example, USB drives would be both cool and useful, but I think the cost would be prohibitive and the print area too small).

Any ideas, or experience with this sort of thing?

zmethos

from words to worlds
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mpepperlanglinais.com
The one thing I see consistently from readers is that they like pens. However, if you're trying to put a logo on, I don't know if you'll have enough space?

When one of my books was released, the cover designer had given me a lot of additional art for promo, and I did temporary tattoos. Those went over pretty well. (Then again, one of the main characters is a dragon, so a dragon tattoo was a no-brainer. Again, not sure a logo would have quite the same draw.)

tiddlywinks

Chaser of Shineyyyy Plot Bunnies
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to Remember Where I Stashed My Muse
Website
www.elainewitt.com
Ditto to screen cleaning cloths. Those things are worth their weight in gold.

What about mugs or water tumblers/bottles? Or a set of coasters - one for each of your books, or maybe a series of quotes from your books. Or covers for webcams that you could have come in custom packaging re your book series? Ooh, or custom mint tins! I use those all the time, especially if the mints are good :greenie

I'm trying to think in terms of usable swag that people won't just chuck into a drawer, and others will see because said person uses swag item on a regular basis. (Also bear in mind I'm thinking about swag differently, like what we see / order for our own conferences at work so YMMV).

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just have to mention that I have collected pens as swag and never, not once, noticed the book's name. I couldn't tell you what they are, even though that's the pen by the phone or (long ago) lived in my checkbook. I don't see what's imprinted there.

Lens/screen cleaning cloths, yeah. Used often, hoarded. Another thing I've seen is hot cup holders, like you can get on coffee to go, only made of something more permanent than cardboard. I once got a decent luggage tag I used for years. I only wish I'd gotten a cool fridge magnet, because I love those, especially the ones that are also a clip. Other ideas I've heard about are bag clips (the kind often labeled CHIPS), those business card sized flash drives, toe tags (for mysteries and thrillers, I presume), rubber bracelets, wine bottle stoppers, can/bottle cozies, card-sized magnifiers, calculators...

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I love a good-quality canvas bag. I have a dozen or so (most of which publishers have given me) that I use almost daily. But apart from one, that I bought, I couldn't tell you what they're advertising and they certainly haven't influenced my book-buying.

Good swag has to do several things. It has to appeal to the people it's aimed at; it has to make your name, or your book's title, prominent enough so that the recipient thinks of you or your book whenever they use it; it has to be useful and/or appealing enough to hang around for quite a while. And some other things I'm sure you good people will think about.

So don't think about what's cheapest or cutest. Think about what's going to be the most effective way to get your potential readers thinking about your book.

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
I love fridge magnets that are postcard size or bigger. I'm M/M dark romance, so had a M/M photographer do a shoot for me that I could use specifically for my merchandise. The postcard-size magnets allow room for the image, series name, website, author name, author logo, but also room to arrange calendars with it too. The calendars are usually the first to go with readers, then badges, pens, and keyrings.

When I go around other authors' tables, I'm a sucker for business cards and pens. But with it being m/m conventions, I've come away with condoms and the likes when I've purchased books, lol.

There's also a lot of reviewing blog owners at these conventions too (ours anyway), so it's always good to have reviewing blog packs as well. I've met some lovely new reviewing sources through these packs, and they loved how the packs were set aside specifically for reviewing blogs.

Last edited:

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for so many great ideas. Old Hack, I was actually leaning toward a canvas bag, since in my limited experience with cons that's the one thing I always end up needing - to carry around the other swag. It's also the biggest, most visible format for a logo. Now if I can just get my publisher to provide a series logo...

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
You could just put your name and your website address onto the bag. Then it would work for all your books.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
I'd lean toward putting the title treatments for your books (or book covers, but that will cost more) on the bag, rather than a logo that hasn't existed anywhere before and no one has seen. You want recognition for fans but also new readers, so if there's not a logo on your books, don't put one on your bag. Maybe the titles on one side and a favorite quote from the series (or review pull quotes?) on the other.

Definitely put your website on there and consider some other call-to-action like "Now available on Amazon!" or whatever.

If you want a logo in the future, it may be best to design one for you (the author) so it's at least up there on your website and social pages.

If it helps, I used to deal with all the promo swag for movie studios. More than 75 percent of the time our T-shirts and totes were stamped with title, release date and maybe the tagline if it was especially clever.

Last edited:

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You both may be right. Thanks for the input.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just an update: my publisher quickly and happily provided me with a graphic to use to promote the series as a whole, and I'm really happy with it:

stoneking-pcfront.jpg

I've ordered some magnets imprinted with it to give away at the book signing, and a couple of canvas totes for my own use.

Last edited:

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I rarely pick up pens. The promo ones are almost always the cheapo ones you throw away. But I have a few that use Parker gel refills that I've had for decades, they're just that good. Couldn't tell you who they're from, the writing wore off years ago, but I think most were from Microsoft.

I toss business cards, rarely use a bookmark for anything other than the book it came with and couldn't tell you the names or logos on the chip clips I do grab. I've also picked up survival whistles (tells you one one of the types of conferences I go to...), USB drives and sturdy canvas bags. Again, couldn't tell you what any of them advertise.

Sitting at my desk, I have a mouse pad with a worn out logo that I had to decipher to figure out it's a tree trimming service (never used one), a mug that has some logo on it that holds my pens and stuff, a USB drive from Wiley Clapp that I use for transferring files between systems and a stack of medallions/coins/medals/etc. that keeps papers in place when the cat flies through. I also have a pocket knife with a now-extinct tech company logo that I use for resetting my router and a magnet on the file cabinet from the power company so I can call them when my power goes out. Outside of the power company magnet, I really could care less about what most of them advertise.

For me, swag is really just cool stuff to give away to street urchins and co-workers. :)

Jeff

KMTolan

No drama
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kmtolan.com
I've been doing conventions for eight years, and in most cases I've found the most effective swag for the dollar is chocolate kisses. Seriously, we've a toad figurine holding a bowl full of chocolates and "doing obeyance to the toad" does bring eyes to the table. I don't bother with pens or anything else other than business cards because this stuff usually won't get further than the bottom of a bag in my opinion. Used to do book markers, but really didn't see any return on them as well. Again my opinion, but unless you already have a huge following to give value to your logo or book cover, magnets and other such promo materials won't go far as there's no real commitment to their brand.

What does seem help is a few props such as a figurine representing your work. Seems to catch the eye even better than videos. Even more effective at conventions is selling a sideline of jewelry or something unique (I make and sell copper wire dragons). Lots of crossover.