Travel memoir?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hublocker

Banned
Reaction score
I traveled across Africa from the Atlantic coast to the Indian Ocean's shore with my girlfriend for 6 months in 1972 by train, freight truck, army jeep, private car, army truck and riverboat. Had numerous adventures along the way of course.

Do you think there is a publisher in the world who'd be interested?

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Can you write it compellingly? Can you talk knowledgeably about the cultures, landscapes and biota of the countries you visited or will it be a boy's own adventure sort of thing?

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Depends on how you write it. If it's a we did this and then we did that memoir, write it for yourself and your friends. If it's a well-written insightful look at either yourself in new territory or an insightful look at the territory and its culture, then you may well find a larger audience.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Hublocker

Banned
Reaction score
Well, I was 18, what the heck did I know about those places before I went there?

Thank goodness I'm bilingual so traveling in the French speaking countries of Africa was much easier than most single language people like most of the other Canadians, Americans and Brits on the road.

I knew that Timbuktu was in Mali, that there had been a war in the Congo in 1962 and a more recent one in Biafra.

AIDS was unknown, Muslim extremists did not exist (at least not to extent they do now) and things were relatively peaceful even though Ghana and Cote d'Ivoire had just had military coups. The main thing was that people, no matter how poor were extremely kind.

But yeah, it is kind of a boy's own adventure tale, but a voyage of discovery too for a small town kid from a small logging town on the west coast of Canada.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

If you can write it as a boy's own adventure and self-discovery in a vanished/vanishing world and write about both that world and your younger self in a compelling way, then yes, there's a chance other people will be interested.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Status
Not open for further replies.