In Bruges - lack of character arcs

Miss_Vix

Registered
Reaction score
In Bruges is a phenomenal film, truly fantastic, but for the life of me I can't see any character arcs. SPOILERS AHEAD!

Ray (Colin Farrell) he is so wracked by guilt that he wants to die and at the halfway mark he tries to kill himself. Only with his last words right at the very end of the film does he say he wants to live. This comes after trying to save Harry (Ralph Fiennes) from killing himself despite Harry doing his best to kill Ray. So 100 minutes is Ray feeling suicidal, with no movement towards redemption or (improvement in his behaviour), until an out of the blue moment at the end.

Ken (Brendan Gleeson) is nice and polite. He stops Ray from killing himself, invites the wrath of Harry in the process, and to save Ray. Yet he always wanted Ray to live - even when given the order to kill him. Also towards the end, he explains to Harry that Ray has the capacity to change and save himself but he's had absolutely no proof of that. He stays grateful to Harry to the end too so again, no character arc.

Harry is a mean SOAB with a set of principles. He so believes in them that he kills himself as a result. No character arc.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

shawkins

Ahhh. Sweet.
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
You're not wrong, but [highlight for spoilers] I took that to be part of the purgatory motif. Harry atoned for what he believed to be his crime and presumably went to hell, Brenden Gleeson died saving Ray and presumably went to heavean, and we're left to make up our minds about Ray.

If you liked that, you should check out Three Billboards--same writer.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
In Bruges is a phenomenal film, truly fantastic, but for the life of me I can't see any character arcs. SPOILERS AHEAD!

Ray (Colin Farrell) he is so wracked by guilt that he wants to die and at the halfway mark he tries to kill himself. Only with his last words right at the very end of the film does he say he wants to live. This comes after trying to save Harry (Ralph Fiennes) from killing himself despite Harry doing his best to kill Ray. So 100 minutes is Ray feeling suicidal, with no movement towards redemption or (improvement in his behaviour), until an out of the blue moment at the end.

Ken (Brendan Gleeson) is nice and polite. He stops Ray from killing himself, invites the wrath of Harry in the process, and to save Ray. Yet he always wanted Ray to live - even when given the order to kill him. Also towards the end, he explains to Harry that Ray has the capacity to change and save himself but he's had absolutely no proof of that. He stays grateful to Harry to the end too so again, no character arc.

Harry is a mean SOAB with a set of principles. He so believes in them that he kills himself as a result. No character arc.

Thoughts?

I have seen this movie about 75 times. Last May I was deciding where to vanish to for a week of writing. I landed in Brugge. That's how much I love this movie. I stood at the top of the belfry tower all by my lonesome, looked out at the town, and said, "I like it here."

Character arcs? Not sure. It just made utter and complete sense to me. In regret to the point of suicide, Ray was already dead. The bullets brought him back to life. That's not really a character arc, but it's an awakening. Ken was majestic in his belief in redemption...he saw the After-the-bullets Ray before that Ray could even see himself. This relationship was a great love story. Harry was just a terrible person incapable of change. No arc, no deviation, no life. We knew this, though, when he snapped at his wife. I believe there are circular arcs with Ray and Ken that lead to and define love and life.

Holy F*cking Jesus, I love this movie.

Brugge is worth the trip, too. The swans!!!