Overheard dialogue.

Daggilarr

Registered
Reaction score
I have a scene where someone is eavesdropping. They know who the speakers are. I am sure it would be correct just to use normal dialogue tagging. But what I would like to try is placing the names in front. A bit like a play.

Tom said, "Xxx."

Dick, "Xxx."

Tom, "Xxx."

Dick, "Xxx."

Harry hurried away from the door...

Any thoughts on that?

Calder

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thejanusgate.com
Try giving the voices in the overheard dialogue a distinct character of themselves, or a diametrically opposed opinion. That way, you can probably dispense with dialogue tags altogether.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have a scene where someone is eavesdropping. They know who the speakers are. I am sure it would be correct just to use normal dialogue tagging. But what I would like to try is placing the names in front. A bit like a play.

Tom said, "Xxx."

Dick, "Xxx."

Tom, "Xxx."

Dick, "Xxx."

Any thoughts on that?

I don't care for it, but I would find it less objectionable if you replaced the commas with colons.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score

Tom said, "Xxx."

Dick, "Xxx."

Tom, "Xxx."

Dick, "Xxx."

Any thoughts on that?

I'd just summarize most of it. Seems odd to have a whole spate of dialogue -- surely there's one piece of info that's important?

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Why use funny tags?

There are many ways to eavesdrop. Agree with Cornflake that it seems odd to quote a whole conversation if the eavesdropper is only interested in a particular detail. If it is necessary to report the whole conversation it could be in a separate scene.

Evan risked moving closer to the open window.

#

Conversation as overheard and/or seen.

#

Evan backed away quietly. So that's what they'd been up to. ....

Last edited: