Arguably the most dad rescue in modern times...

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
my local paper .
A BOWRAL dad has been dubbed a hero by local shoppers after he retrieved a roast chook from a would-be thief at Coles. In arguably the most daddish rescue in modern history, Adrian Brennan, 58, got a round of applause from Bowral Coles staff and customers yesterday afternoon after he chased a young shoplifter into the carpark, demanding the thief return a roast chicken he didn’t pay for.

He got the chook back, completing the mission in his pluggers.
Who said there's no excitement in the country?

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
*blinks twice*

*shakes head*

Ponder about this for a minute.

Someone steals a roasted chicken.

Not an iPhone.

Or stereo system.

Or a plasma TV.

Or jewelry.

A roasted chicken, for crying out loud.

This is not about trying to resell the chicken for money. What's the market for stolen roasted chicken anyway? It's about someone being hungry.

A real hero would have PAID for the damned roasted chicken.

-cb

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
*blinks twice*

*shakes head*

Ponder about this for a minute.

Someone steals a roasted chicken.

Not an iPhone.

Or stereo system.

Or a plasma TV.

Or jewelry.

A roasted chicken, for crying out loud.

This is not about trying to resell the chicken for money. What's the market for stolen roasted chicken anyway? It's about someone being hungry.

A real hero would have PAID for the damned roasted chicken.

-cb
To be fair, a real hero would have paid for the iphone, too. It's not that kind of story.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
If there is some humour to this story, then I don't get it.

-cb

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay. Well, for starters it's Bowral. Bowral is in the news. And not just Bowral - Bowral Coles. So that's funny for starters. Oh look, nevermind.

ETA: I'll tell you what - come down to Oz, catch a train to Bowral, I'll put you up for a week. You can look around town and see how funny it is that a guy walks off with a roast chook (very unlikely to have been hungry. Very likely to have been one of a group of young stoners on school break who skateboard in the Coles carpark) and then gets chased down by a dad in thongs. The humour is that anyone would actually think to pinch a chook from Coles - you could probably ask for it and they'd give it to you, or one of the staff would buy it for you - or indeed to chase down the chook-thief. But this dad apparently got a rush of heroism to the head, and now he's being teased for it*. And taking the teasing in good humour (note the heroic pose.)

*He rescued a barbecued chicken.

You need to know Bowral.

Last edited:

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
I promise one day I'll fly "down under" for vacation.

-cb

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
"Thongs" as sandals doesn't throw me, since that's what my grandparents called them, but oh-boy would the *other* kind of thong change that image...

(And, yeah, "hunger" is the first thing I thought of, too. Reminds me of a kid in the grocery store who saw "free" on a box of French bread, without noticing the fine print about it being "free with purchase" and grabbed one. The clerk chased them down and chewed them out, and I'm like - Dude, the kid was hungry. No kid chooses to steal French bread. He thought it was free!)

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score

LOL! Canadian here and until the underwear style came about, thongs were flip-flops and even now for us of a certain age, it's hard to remember the new name. A friend was looking out his window one day and was horrified to see his neighbours teen daughter mowing the lawn wearing thongs, so he dashed over to tell her dad. A whole lot of horrified gasps and blinking ensued there as well, until it was explained that she wasn't wearing the proper foot gear…!

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You're all ruining my story and if you don't stop it, I'm going to close AW down for a week.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so I googled Bowral, and ... is Stepford actually a thing in Australia? Because you should probably kill it with fire if it's Stepford.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so I googled Bowral, and ... is Stepford actually a thing in Australia? Because you should probably kill it with fire if it's Stepford.
Oy! I live here! It's lovely! (goes to google Stepford)

ETA: It's not Stepford. It's just a nice little rural town and has birds and kangaroos and ducks and echidnas and little things like that and it's just Very Quiet. Although someone's pet owl went missing once - but it turned up again.

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:ROFL:Make sure you get the original, and not the remake with Bette Middler's vibrating pine cones and Faith Hill's hydraulic boobs.
We don't have boobs in Bowral. We have a local chapter of the CWA, and I doubt they encourage boobs. They have chests. Lady ones.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Oy! I live here! It's lovely! (goes to google Stepford)

ETA: It's not Stepford. It's just a nice little rural town and has birds and kangaroos and ducks and echidnas and little things like that and it's just Very Quiet. Although someone's pet owl went missing once - but it turned up again.

Yes, but do you have pandemelon? And wallabies?

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Lady chests? You mean they're pink and purple, or are these the tall, skinny kind for storing lingerie?

(I love the Aussie threads. I love the Aussie threads. I love the Aussie threads.)