• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

Writer's Block!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

vicky271

Registered
Reaction score
I'm finally making progress. I started a very rough draft of country layouts. Not the entire world, but a few countries surrounding the island where the first story takes place. My issue is lack of knowledge/understanding of basic geography like tectonic plates, winder currents, ocean currents, etc. has resulted in a major writer's block, and a lot of self doubt. At this very moment, I'm staring at my map and thinking, "What if this isn't possible!? No...that can't be right. Nope, that isn't good either." It's a little frustrating. I feel like i need this before i can advance to the next step: Creating cultures. All of this is important for world building and character development in my stories. I would appreciate any advice on shaking this.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
Tolkien was shrewd how he made the LOTR world (so his son could have it made into a map). He incorporated only the essential locations to make his fictional world (middle earth) comprehensible. Other parts, he called the void.

Tolkien used "void" to represent the uninhabited world; http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Void

Plate tectonics takes a lot of time (excluding earthquakes and oceanic byproducts of earthquakes). I'm uncertain how this is germane to a story that won't last long enough to see drastic changes from plate tectonics. How do currents affect storytelling? I think these are micromanagement issues. People like big picture. I think if one offer's too many minute details, readers will get bored.

Story supersedes geography. Locations can be described in words, as can temporary natural phenomena.

vicky271

Registered
Reaction score
Tolkien was shrewd how he made the LOTR world (so his son could have it made into a map). He incorporated only the essential locations to make his fictional world (middle earth) comprehensible. Other parts, he called the void.

Tolkien used "void" to represent the uninhabited world; http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Void

Plate tectonics takes a lot of time (excluding earthquakes and oceanic byproducts of earthquakes). I'm uncertain how this is germane to a story that won't last long enough to see drastic changes from plate tectonics. How do currents affect storytelling? I think these are micromanagement issues. People like big picture. I think if one offer's too many minute details, readers will get bored.

Story supersedes geography. Locations can be described in words, as can temporary natural phenomena.

Ocean and wind currents help determine stuff (or the process) essential to setting. Determining the kind of weather, for example. I don't want to write about a desert or a specific kind of forest, and then find out later that it's a major flaw in the world building because I didn't take the time to determine where deserts/certain kinds of forests would be located (not sure if this has anything to do with ocean and wind currents, but it is on my list of overall geography issues). This could be applied to any setting. This isn't for the readers. Rather, for myself to determine accurate settings. By determining accurate setting, i can set limits for myself and understand the environment, and build cultures that may prioritize certain things due to their environment. For me, personally, this will add another level of realism for me to my world. Even if the readers will never receive the information.

Last edited:

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
Understood. Global warming adds a whole new reality. For example, we see far more and far more severe hurricanes from Africa to the Caribbean and the U.S. Ireland had a hurricane this year as a result.

I'd try writing without it. Maybe you won't need the detail of these elements. Plate tectonics effects different plates differently. The ring of fire, around the Pacific Ocean, is where the edges of a major plate occurs. Nasty earthquakes happen all around the edges of it. Conversely, India is forced north, causing the Himalayas to go higher, every year. This may hinder your process, thinking of stuff like this. If you explain something incorrectly, someone will find out.

Good luck. You have much to consider.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
I know you've said that it's important to you, but it's very easy to get stuck in this research phase, whatever the genre, and it's very easy to use it as a way of postponing the actual writing.

I wouldn't worry too much about the details at this stage. Just leave it as a few broad strokes. Things will change as the story develops, as you discover what your story needs.

Do you need earthquakes? Stick in a plate margin. Do you need a desert? Put it in the centre of a continent or towards the west coast. Do you need tropical rainforests? Have a look where they occur in the real world.

Status
Not open for further replies.