Rewrite or Scrap?

tembers

Registered
Reaction score
I'm curious how others handle a piece that's been rejected. I sent out an essay to about 25 publications and, so far, there are no takers. But one of the publications gave me some brief and useful feedback. They said the writing was strong but the piece needed structure. It was a light bulb moment for me because structure is exactly the thing I struggled with in it (although I wouldn't have called it that at the time). I had some points I wanted to make in the piece and I kept a bullet list of those thoughts as I was writing. Then I squeezed the bullet points in where I could, creating a bit of a structural issue.

Lesson learned. But I've since moved on to other work and am not sure I should go back and try to fix this, then resubmit to other publications. Has anyone had a similar situation? Do you rework a rejected piece and try again?

Felix

Registered
Reaction score
Depends on how invested you are. You could leave it on a shelf until it's screamed loud enough to get your attention.

I did a massive rewrite not that long ago. It wasn't a full rewrite; I kept a lot. I went through the existing work, made an outline, really gave thought to what my characters needed to do and say and how they needed to change. I was so energized by the positive changes that I ended up diving in. Maybe making an outline would help you get to the bottom of the motivation.

Have fun with whatever you're writing!