Greetings from the Frozen Tundra

KathiLS

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so that description could now apply to a good 3/4s of the inhabited planet, however I hail from just south of THE Frozen Tundra, Land of the Green Bay Packers, cheeseheads, brats, beer, and all things Wisconsin. :hi:

I joined up mostly to share my tale on a Baen Books thread as I, too, have a manuscript there. Other than that, I write Fantasy almost exclusively. I started where most seem to find their beginnings; an epic trilogy. I self-pubbed that one. Then my tastes went a bit darker and less epic and that's the ms Baen is currently considering. My claim to fame thus far is being a finalist in the Writers of the Future contest. I have stories in a few anthologies, one collective serial, and am working on both some more shorts (which I'm dreadful at) and another fantasy novel.

When not writing, my hubs and I have a small hobby farm where we raise sheep, a couple chickens, and sometimes a steer or four. I raise and compete with working Australian Shepherds, am coaxing a budding pet photography business into full bloom, and work an uninspiring dayjob which I'd like to leave behind before retirement actually forces the issue.

I don't actually consider myself a newbie in terms of writing, but I am a newbie here. So, Hail one and all!

~Kathi
“The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease forever to be able to do it.”

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given each week.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

tembers

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, Kathi, and welcome.
I'm pretty new here too. I live in the southeast where it's supposed to be warm. Today is the first day in a week my dogs will get a proper walk.
Stay warm!

smorrigan

Registered
Reaction score
Ha! There is another Fantasy loving farm girl out in the world! Nice to meet you, I have a small dairy farm thats full of goats. Let me know when you have work up for review, i'd love to take a peek :)

Denevius

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I’ve always wondered what people’s experiences were with Baen Books. I’ll be interested to hear what you say.

Welcome to AW!

PyriteFool

Registered
Reaction score
I seriously want pictures of everyone's animals, like, yesterday! As Australian Shepherds are gorgeous, sheep are adorable, and I have a mild goat obsession. I'm a city mouse currently unable to fulfill my pet needs due to cost and housing (and a husband who's very picky about pets). So I'll take my fix where I can get it ;)

That aside, welcome fellow fantasy lover! May your hearth be warm and your soul draining day job temporary.

KathiLS

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! We're actually going to be in the 30s today and upwards of 40 for the weekend. With rain, of course. Can't just be warm in January, can it? ;) My dogs are going absolutely crazy right now.

KathiLS

Registered
Reaction score
Ha! There is another Fantasy loving farm girl out in the world! Nice to meet you, I have a small dairy farm thats full of goats. Let me know when you have work up for review, i'd love to take a peek :)

Fantasy Loving Farm Girls ought to be a Thing! ;)

KathiLS

Registered
Reaction score
I seriously want pictures of everyone's animals, like, yesterday! As Australian Shepherds are gorgeous, sheep are adorable, and I have a mild goat obsession. I'm a city mouse currently unable to fulfill my pet needs due to cost and housing (and a husband who's very picky about pets). So I'll take my fix where I can get it ;)

That aside, welcome fellow fantasy lover! May your hearth be warm and your soul draining day job temporary.

Thank you for the warm welcome!

As for pictures... if you can wait another couple months, I'll post pictures of lambs as we'll be lambing the end of March and there is nothing cuter. Watching them cavort provides unbelievable stress relief.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

I've been a Packers and Badgers fan since I can remember. Part of my family is from Wisconsin.

You should incorporate your hobby farm experiences into your fantasy writing (to make it more realistic).

smorrigan

Registered
Reaction score
As for pictures... if you can wait another couple months, I'll post pictures of lambs as we'll be lambing the end of March and there is nothing cuter. Watching them cavort provides unbelievable stress relief.

I challenge thee to a cute off (if that is a thing) goat kid vs lamb haha When they arrive of course... and get past the sticky gunky phase!

PyriteFool

Registered
Reaction score

Yes yes yes yes please!

I challenge thee to a cute off (if that is a thing) goat kid vs lamb haha When they arrive of course... and get past the sticky gunky phase!

There are not words for how much in need this in my life

KathiLS

Registered
Reaction score

*retrieves gauntlet off ground*

*tries it on for fit*

Hmmm... a bit snug around the pinky. Ah, but I digress, GAME ON!

KathiLS

Registered
Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

I've been a Packers and Badgers fan since I can remember. Part of my family is from Wisconsin.

You should incorporate your hobby farm experiences into your fantasy writing (to make it more realistic).

I admit to not watching much of the Badgers.

Bits and pieces of the farm life usually find their way into my tales in one fashion or another. ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Welcome to AW, always good to have more fantasy writers here :)

Thanks!

KathiLS

Registered
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KathiLS View Post

Yes yes yes yes please!

Originally Posted by smorrigan View Post
Yes yes yes yes please!

It shall be done. We start lambing the end of March.

emlm21

Registered
Reaction score
Go Pack!!! :)

I second the "don't consider myself a newbie in terms of writing, but am a newbie here." Slowly figuring out this place while trying to get involved.