Apparently Not So New Sci-fi Nerd

jjf3rd77

Registered
Reaction score
My account says it's nearly ten years old, and yet I've never posted on here before??? I guess that's because I just registered to spy on you guys! Well, anyway, what I'm currently writing is a time travel fantasy saga, that I really need help finishing and summarizing. I've written about half of it so far, including notes and all character summaries/histories and world mythology. I've been working on the novel for ten years. It's very high concept, I'm thinking trilogy, and I think has huge potential especially if I get it completed during this new time travel trend going on right now in pop culture.

Essentially, I'm a TV nut and not much of a reader, so I based the novel on cool plots I've seen in TV shows. I basically got tired of having time travel being portrayed as new thing. Watching another new team try to figure out how it works. So far Travelers is the only TV show that is remotely similar to my novel and the concepts but with the familiarity of Dallas-- The soap opera.

So time travel just works in my world and everyone has access to it. Powerful people are still corrupt and it operates just like any other civilization except that everything is based around time travel. Much like Magic in Harry Potter. This is not YA though, I think of it more like a soap opera. With very mature and sometimes twisted situations as I'm sure you can imagine. It's about powerful families who use their influence in the industry to get ahead over their rivals. It can get very political and then very mystical at times. There are dueling plots that deals with the religion of time travelers and the politics in the industry too. I've had a lot of difficulty attempting to summarize this even in this extremely long post, you still don't know anything about the politics or the very complex plots. Not even the characters' names!

Any advice would be much appreciated, including if you think I'm on the 'write' track or if this is just garbage not worth wasting my time on. If you want more information about the book, please feel free to ask me any questions.

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given each week.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

eschluessel

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe your future self traveled back in time to pre-emptively create your account, knowing you would need it in 2018? :D

JackieZee

Registered
Reaction score
Hi and welcome! I am a fantasy nerd with a huge weakness for time travel, and the premise of your book is really exciting to me! If you are not much of a reader, though, I suggest you make yourself become one. It will only help you to become a better writer! I haven't read it myself, but you should probably make yourself read Outlander because it's a recently successful series involving time travel. Knowing what else is out there recently that has any similarity to your work is invaluable when you eventually want to start pitching it and selling it.

I really love your idea and would love to offer feedback when you're ready for it! :)

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nice time travel trick to pop yourself eight years and a month to the future of December 2009 to tell us about your time travel saga. :foilhat:

:welcome: again? :greenie

jjf3rd77

Registered
Reaction score
Hi and welcome! I am a fantasy nerd with a huge weakness for time travel, and the premise of your book is really exciting to me! If you are not much of a reader, though, I suggest you make yourself become one. It will only help you to become a better writer! I haven't read it myself, but you should probably make yourself read Outlander because it's a recently successful series involving time travel. Knowing what else is out there recently that has any similarity to your work is invaluable when you eventually want to start pitching it and selling it.

I really love your idea and would love to offer feedback when you're ready for it! :)

Thanks then you probably would love my novel. It's exactly that. Since the time travel just works, it's not hard sci-fi. It's more fantasy. I tried to watch the outlander TV show, but did not particularly enjoy it. I'll point you to a new post about it once I figure out where to post for plot/summarizing help.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe your future self traveled back in time to pre-emptively create your account, knowing you would need it in 2018? :D

Nice time travel trick to pop yourself eight years and a month to the future of December 2009 to tell us about your time travel saga. :foilhat:

:welcome: again? :greenie

Haha that was completely unintentional.

eyenow

Can't. Stop. Writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome jjf3rd77! Your time travel concept sounds fascinating! I always love to take ideas that sound like sci-fi or fantasy and weave them into a modern story as things that the characters just take for granted. Call it urban fantasy or magical realism, I find it more entertaining than straight Sci-fi (also it's just the way my brain works).

Denevius

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
If you’re getting something from the process of writing, then it’s not a waste of time.

Welcome back to AW!

smorrigan

Registered
Reaction score
Chatting over the mechanics of time travel makes me happy. Let me know when you have work up for review :)