So I feel I should reintroduce myself...

Quiet Melody

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

So I'm not exactly a new member, but I've been away from this board for a really long time (almost ten years), so I feel like I should reintroduce myself! I even remembered my old password! LOL!

I'm Melody, and I'm currently working on (and almost finished with) a middle grades novel. Actually, it's the same novel I was working on when I first joined this board nearly 10 years ago, LOL! Obviously I still haven't finished it, but I've been working on other writing projects so I haven't completely stopped writing. I do, however, really want to finish this current story I'm writing, and my hope is to get it published. The good thing is that stepping away from this story for so long has allowed me to view it with fresh eyes and make it better.

Hoping I can get some good advice on here, and maybe give other writers some tips too! Not that I'm published or anything, but I do enjoy writing and reading. I used to go to a writers group, but I find it easier to share my writing with people online rather than in person. I get too nervous at those groups! (and quiet, hence my screen name.) :)

Looking forward to chatting with other writers, online of course!

-Melody :)

Denevius

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Makes me wonder how old this site actually is.

Either way, best of luck on finishing your YA novel, and welcome back to AW!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome back

eschluessel

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome back :) I was in the same boat, I created this account months before I ever really used it. How long a novel is it?

Quiet Melody

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! And to the person who asked me how long it is, roughly 80,000 words. I know that’s long...I may have a lot of trimming to do. But the good news is I finished my rough draft this morning! I guess I’m ready to get started on polishing this thing! :)

Kithica

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! And to the person who asked me how long it is, roughly 80,000 words. I know that’s long...I may have a lot of trimming to do. But the good news is I finished my rough draft this morning! I guess I’m ready to get started on polishing this thing! :)

Welcome back! And congratulations!!! That's a huge accomplishment! Make sure you take the time for a victory lap before you sit down to edit. :)

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You're coming in loud and clear, Quiet Melody. :welcome: back, and I hope you stay. :greenie

Quiet Melody

Registered
Reaction score
What is your middle grade novel about? Also hi *waves*

Hi, sorry I missed your question! It’s been a busy few weeks! It’s about a girl in 6th grade going through all the embarrassing things a girl that age might go through. But the main thing she has to deal with is the fact that her mom is dating again after her father has died. She’s not taking it well at all.

Thanks again everyone for the warm welcome! I feel bad I was away from this board for so long but I went through a period where I was obsessed with writing fanfic so all my other story ideas got pushed to the back burner. But I’m ready to finish them now. :)

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I used to go to a writers group, but I find it easier to share my writing with people online rather than in person. I get too nervous at those groups!

I'm the same in groups but for a different reason. I'm deaf and can lipread one-to-one quite well. With two speakers, my ability to "listen" reduces to zero with a half-dozen participants. Plus some unconsciously sabotage lipreading. One lady covered her mouth when she noticed I concentrated on it. Another wouldn't speak until I was looking elsewhere. Not all played such games, but enough to make me shy away from groups over three. :greenie

HD Simplicityy

Registered
Reaction score
I have two sisters. One is also named Melody. But she isn't a writer. Anyway nice to meet you! I'm new to this site.

Last edited:

Willer

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Welcome back
Nice intro didn’t read the whole lot since my attention span is about 5 seconds
I don’t go to writers groups for different reasons like when they start patronizing me

Qwest

Here on a catnap
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome Melody, and congrats on finishing your novel! Wow - returning to something after ten years is true dedication. Sounds like an interesting book!

Hope you enjoy your time here. It's a great supportive community of writers!