• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Did you ever realize you wrote everything out of order?

blackcat777

Registered
Reaction score
I hate index cards. I think I hate them so much because I've associated them with giving speeches in school. I really hate them and just no.

But I think it's time to use them for plot points and move everything around. I need to visually experiment with the timing of my character arcs vs. the plot arcs.

I've already shuffled the order of events at the end of the second act. They're not a string of pearls, and moving them escalates and emphasizes the conflict differently. I'm about 90k into zero draft, 70% through, and hit a wall because some of my earlier details were either too vague, or missing. Two of my MCs were missing an ingredient, and I had a sense of what it was, but no specifics until this week--now that I've figured out the details, I need to rewrite completely. And for the best.

Do you use index cards? Why or why not? When and how do you find them useful?

I'll admit to laughing in my head and being like, "Who does that?!" But I'm going to eat my shoe and say that I need to, right now.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
I have used index cards and big Post-It notes, but now I used a whiteboard. It's a technique that's very useful for non-fiction too.

The Otter

Friendly Neighborhood Mustelid
Registered
Reaction score
In the room next to the noisy ice machine, for all
I know people who use a software called Scrivener for a similar purpose. I tried it once and can't really get into it; too complicated and fussy, too much to keep track of. My brainstorming usually takes the form of scribbles in a notebook, jotting things like "try riot before turkey" or "move second scene w/ Brenner to after fleeing mansion" because it's my story and I know what that stuff means instantly. I tend to just shuffle things around in the Word document itself when I'm testing scene order, and save my previous drafts along the way in case I want to revert back to an old order.

TSJohnson

Registered
Reaction score
I don't use anything that I can't do with a computer, because I move around a lot and don't like carrying stuff.

That said, you can do this same thing with a spreadsheet or a text document; and I do. I shuffle things around a bit occasionally - mainly testing my structure, but occasionally I do make big changes after seeing how they work on a synopsis / scene-by-scene document. I find it's just much easier doing it on a computer than writing on pieces of cardboard. Especially since you can easily tweak a scene and see if it fits that spot better after a tweak or combine scenes right there. Some people like the physical aid though, makes it more concrete.

Last novel I finished I used "cards" after my first revision round. Put all the scenes into one document and started shifting them around, and it resulted in a few big changes (for the better I hope).

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I write in order. Though, I'm very tempted to try out other techniques. I usually plan it all out, so there's no reason I cannot try it.

Calder

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thejanusgate.com
I'd recommend using a spreadsheet. Instead of an index card, I use a line in the spreadsheet. I usually space my lines with a couple of blank ones inbetween. That way, it's simple to add stuff and/or move things about by dragging and dropping. You can use one wide column for the "note" and other narrower ones to indicate location, characters involved, time/date etc. I use a simple colour code, which, at a glance, indicates the detailed shape of the story.

blackcat777

Registered
Reaction score
I do bullet point outlines and color code as necessary, but as this project has morphed, digested itself and evolved, I have about 25k of insane slop over five text documents. At this point, it is faster to shuffle cards than to move all that text.

I would never use cards INSTEAD of a text document, but I just made a stack, and they proved an interesting addition to. I spread out a column of cards for each act and figured out where to split up my flashbacks in a snap (which was previously driving me crazy). Seeing other things side by side, up and down, also helped me fine tune a few other conflicts. This was the first time I appreciated having a visual I could slide around on the floor. I kept it bare bones with no more than three words on a card, though.

My brain wanted to see the entire plot in one map without scrolling through pages.

...then once I had my index card revelations, I added more color coded insanity to my heaping text documents. ;)

I liked that I could pull my romance arc out entirely, study the structure without it, and then redetermine what needed to be where.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
You can use a whiteboard system, digitally, with Windows Vista or later versions of the operating system. Start, type sticky. Sticky Notes will load. These are post-it notes. Hit the plus to create new post-its (as many as you want). You can resize them, change their colors, and so forth. You can turn your desktop into a big outline. Hit Print Screen to save it to an image. Save image to a thumb drive or dump it to a virtual hard drive (like Box.com or Google Docs). Portable, and backed up!

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Text-boxes in MS-Excel are also useful. These work essentially like post-it notes, can be freely moved around anywhere on the spreadsheet, and are not associated directly with cells. I use them a lot for business-related work, but could see them as useful tools for writing as well.

caw

caw

Hopefully WLCT

Registered
Reaction score
I have post it notes all over a corkboard and index cards that I place on the floor when I'm desperate. Not for nothing, for as basic a system they are, they both work very well. And they're cheap. Just go with it,LOL!

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
You can use a whiteboard system, digitally, with Windows Vista or later versions of the operating system. Start, type sticky. Sticky Notes will load. These are post-it notes. Hit the plus to create new post-its (as many as you want). You can resize them, change their colors, and so forth. You can turn your desktop into a big outline. Hit Print Screen to save it to an image. Save image to a thumb drive or dump it to a virtual hard drive (like Box.com or Google Docs). Portable, and backed up!

You can use Post-It notes and take a photograph, upload it to Docs etc etc. Fewer steps, just as portable, and you've still got the Post-It notes should the connection go down. (ETA: and the power. Esp. the power.)

Last edited:

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
Helix: Absolutely, but those analog technologies cost money (and they can add up over the years). Mine was just a free tool that already comes with modern-era Windows. Not sure how going from analog to digital is fewer steps though. Upload them to the cloud; you can access them on a smart phone (if power goes out).

blackcat777

Registered
Reaction score
Cool thoughts with the digital ideas.

I think the index cards impressed me because it tricked my brain similarly to the way reading a printed copy of the ms tricks me. I see all sorts of things I didn't see when I take it off the screen.

I'm going to come back in two weeks and be like, "GUYS, SO I JUST WROTE THE ENDING TO MY BOOK ON A ROLL OF PAPER TOWELS AND..."

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Helix: Absolutely, but those analog technologies cost money (and they can add up over the years). Mine was just a free tool that already comes with modern-era Windows. Not sure how going from analog to digital is fewer steps though. Upload them to the cloud; you can access them on a smart phone (if power goes out).

0.99c for a pack of Post-It notes. (That's Australian cents, so even less in American ones.)

'Modern-era Windows' is a version that I'm not familiar with. Did it come out after 10?

Last edited:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I use blank business cards which I then slip into clear plastic business card holders which fit into a ring binder. So I can see about twenty to the page, I think. It is easily portable, very clear, and very easy to rearrange if I want to.

I think the card holders have three columns of six, and I usually leave the third column empty which gives me room to add scenes without having to rearrange the whole lot.

talktidy

Registered
Reaction score
I use Scrivener's index cards. On the subject of shuffling scenes, what I love about Scrivener is the ease with which those cards and the scenes they represent can be moved around a ms. Ii also made it a lot easier for me to insert a new scene into an earlier part of the project, where messing with MS Word would have given me a headache.

I think the pre-set novel template is too complicated for new users. I prefer the blank template, which has draft, research and trash folders and is a lot easier to get one's head around. Scrivener comes with a decent free trial period if you want to check it out. The index cards also serve as an outline view, too.

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Scrivener's index cards have this advantage over all the other methods mentioned above: they are directly linked to the actual text, so once you rearrange the index cards in a way you like, you don't have to do anything else to make your manuscript match, it will already be in the new order. So it's a tremendous time-and-labor saver.

Scrivener's index cards have this disadvantage: you have to be using Scrivener as your writing tool to get the benefit. It's possible to create cards without any text behind them -- they're useful in that way to outliners -- but if you already have a manuscript outside of Scrivener you either have to (1) bring it into Scrivener & set up the cards scene by scene, which is extra work up front but then gives you the above-mentioned advantage, i.e. you can shuffle the cards and have a reorganized manuscript after shuffling the cards, or (2) use Scrivener's index card function on its own, in which case you have exactly the same situation as with physical index cards, Excel text boxes, Post-it notes, etc.

I personally think that Scrivener is a fantastic writing tool, & it's pretty inexpensive, with a long free-trial period. But I know it's not for everybody.

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I use blank business cards which I then slip into clear plastic business card holders which fit into a ring binder. So I can see about twenty to the page, I think. It is easily portable, very clear, and very easy to rearrange if I want to.

I think the card holders have three columns of six, and I usually leave the third column empty which gives me room to add scenes without having to rearrange the whole lot.

What a great idea!

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This thread could not have come at a better time. I am very much wondering if I've written certain chapters out of order....not that there is a wrong order but I could shuffle things around and it would still flow. With 4 MC and two separate yet intertwined stories I'm really struggling with this. I can't do the one note or the scrivener I agree all that tech stuff is too much for me(although I can def see perks to it) but I love the idea of putting the chapters onto cards and then shuffling them them that way.

Thanks for that idea this is going to save me a tonne of work! :)

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

That's a really cool idea!

blackcat777

Registered
Reaction score
I literally covered my entire bed with index cards the other night. It was amazing. I needed all the freedom and space that came with it.

(And when I'm finally done with the novel, I'll do it again and roll in them. I can't justify the expenses of doing that with my PC and Scrivener. ;) )

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This thread could not have come at a better time. I am very much wondering if I've written certain chapters out of order....not that there is a wrong order but I could shuffle things around and it would still flow. With 4 MC and two separate yet intertwined stories I'm really struggling with this. I can't do the one note or the scrivener I agree all that tech stuff is too much for me(although I can def see perks to it) but I love the idea of putting the chapters onto cards and then shuffling them them that way.

Thanks for that idea this is going to save me a tonne of work! :)
In the old days, this is exactly how we used to story conference for TV. Ah, the old days....