The Greatest Showman

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Very interested to see people's takes on this one.

It's not a bad musical, but it would have been better without the attempt to make it a "based on the life of..." kind of thing.

It's a total failure as an attempt to tell the story of P.T. Barum and how he interacted with his family, his circus, etc. It doesn't just gloss over the dark chapters, it repaints them as something bright and hopeful. It mangles Jenny Lynd (Sp?), who deserves better than the "spurned woman" sidebar she's made into.

If they'd just made a musical about a guy who started a circus, rather than trying to couple it to the history of a man whose story they decided to not actually tell, I don't think the reviews would be so mixed. The musical numbers are well choreographed and the cinematography is very well executed. I especially like the acrobatic / aerial love song and the "anthem" sung by the circus performers.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Thanks for this, Cyia - this is the most informative thing I've read about this film.

The Kid and I have been thinking of going (because Hugh Jackman + dramatic musical numbers), but I suspect I'll find the narrative lacking. Still - she was impressed by the previews, because she didn't know Wolverine could sing, so it might make for a fun afternoon.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
It's definitely a fun movie, if you can uncouple it from the source material. The soundtrack's got some winning numbers, and I was shocked that Michelle Williams could dance (not sure why, but it was surprising to me). Hugh Jackman and Zach Efron look like they're having a ball. The woman who plays "the bearded lady" is a phenomenal performer, and the scenes of the circus performers together are all excellent. I really wish they'd done more with that front. Barum isn't really a guy whose praises should be (literally) sung from the rooftops.

Last edited:

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Just saw this thread -- I thought the movie was kind of terrible. Aside from the problematic glossing over/around Barnum's issues, the plot was thin, shallow, the characters undeveloped, the whole narrative wanting and the writing (in the book sense) groan-worthy. The never-aging father-in-law (Michelle Williams' character's father) was fucking hilarious and bizarre (it's a big-budget studio film ffs, they couldn't stick him in a makeup chair for a couple hours? Start with a younger actor? He was in like four scenes or so total.).

However, even with all of that, the songs were catchy, the cinematography was beautiful, the design really well-done and oddly theatre-like, and the whole thing was just fun, mostly carried by Jackman, but much of the cast seemed to quite enjoy themselves, in the manner of the film version of Mamma Mia!, like actors at summer camp putting on a cheesy show for the heck of it, because they just like to sing and dance around. I'd watch it again, because it was just... fun.