Punctuating filler syllables in song lyrics

CJShahmeran

Registered
Reaction score
I have a question about the inclusion of a filler syllable at the end of a word to enhance the rhythmic pattern of a song lyric. The lyric quoted below uses a single space between "look" and "a" as if they are separate words. To me, the inclusion of the indefinite article "a" makes for an awkward read. As performed, the "look" and "a" are vocally merged to create a two syllable word that fits the rhythm of the song.

"make you look a just like me"

I prefer an easier reading option that is more consistent with the manner in which the song is performed. Some printed song lyrics merge the filler syllable into the preceding word itself, although in this example that would not read well.

Would either of the following modifications make for easier reading? If not, how would you enhance readability if you did not have the option to change the lyric?

make you look-a just like me
make you look'a just like me

Calder

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thejanusgate.com
The standard method for this in song lyrics I know (e.g. Shaddup You Face - Joe Dolce) is to use your first option - the hyphen. The apostrophe tends to indicate either belonging, or a missing letter(s). So, I'd go with the hyphen.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No knowledge on this topic, but I've seen looka elsewhere and it would read just as understandably to me.

Last edited:

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
make you look-a just like me
make you look'a just like me

This: make you look-a just like me
Not this: make you look'a just like me

As stated by others, the apostrophe would make me think contraction when it isn't. :greenie

Bufty's "looka" with no extra frills looks okay, too.

Last edited: