For the Birds and Bird Lovers 2018 CAUTION: LARGE IMAGES

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Broome is number one in my destination bucket.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Heads up to all you birders out there: sign-ups have begun for the Cornell Lab of Ornithology's annual Project FeederWatch. For a small fee (I paid $15 because I'm a returning participant), you get a packet of useful material, including tally sheets to record the birds that visit your feeders. The Project runs from November 10, 2018 through April 5, 2019. More info here:

Project FeederWatch

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
oh wow, s/he's gorgeous! and very curious :)

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
I'm trying to discourage the pademelons from getting too close! The birds are a bit slow on the uptake, too. If this were a brown tree snake or an owl, the honeyeaters would be mobbing the living daylights out of it by now.

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
what a lovely place you live in, Helix! *swoons at pademelons*

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
They are not generally aggressive unless they feel threatened. But because I didn't know what that snake would consider threatening, I decided to keep out of its way, just in case. Carpet pythons and scrub pythons tend to be a bit more relaxed (because of their size?) than some of the other species I get around here.

This was probably 1.8 metres long. The largest carpet python I've seen around here was 2.7 metres. I can give an exact figure for that one, because I ran out the tape measure when it was stretched out. The scrub (also known as amethystine) pythons are quite a bit bigger than that!

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, Helix - what great shots!

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
The wren!

Such terrific photos, Helix! I got a kick out of the "Hey, baby" common bronzewing. I have a mental picture of the female strutting away like Jessica Rabbit. :D

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
SW Western Australia is an amazing spot. The flowers are even lovelier than the birds -- lots of banksias, hakeas, eucalypts, and flowering peas.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My feeders have been nuts lately as spring has sprung and mating season is nearly upon us. I got this shot of a male Pileated Woodpecker early this morning, hammering away at the suet feeder. These birds aren't uncommon in my area, but they come to my feeders only once in a while. This big male, with the morning sun shining through his crest, was like a gift.

Just for perspective, the suet cage is roughly 5x5 inches. I'm guessing this guy was about 15-17 inches long. The only bigger bird that shows up in my yard is the occasional Red-Tailed Hawk.

pileated-woodpecker-small.jpg

Last edited:

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We have those here (western New York state), but they're camera shy. Nothing else makes quite the same noise hammering against the siding of the master bedroom early in the morning, though. It's not quite spring here, but we've got one guy maybe a foot high who's there by nine most mornings.

Maryn, up before then

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
Wow. This thread popped up with great timing, such great timing it's almost creepy. My main character in my survival novel just finished taking pictures of some birds, and I had no idea if I did it right. I'll just be browsing the thread for a bit. :e2photo:

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
My feeders have been nuts lately as spring has sprung and mating season is nearly upon us. I got this shot of a male Pileated Woodpecker early this morning, hammering away at the suet feeder. These birds aren't uncommon in my area, but they come to my feeders only once in a while. This big male, with the morning sun shining through his crest, was like a gift.

Just for perspective, the suet cage is roughly 6x6 inches. I'm guessing this guy was about 15-17 inches long. The only bigger bird that shows up in my yard is the occasional Red-Tailed Hawk.

pileated-woodpecker-small.jpg

Oh, look at that lovely fellow with his fancy head gear!

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I love these guys. We often have a couple of them in the backyard forest. One was around last week.

I can't imagine them pecking at the siding. They do peck hard.