Romance Titles

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
I'm planning on self-publishing a few romantic comedies this year with diverse MCs and need some advice on the titles for the first two.

1. "Grumpy Fake Boyfriend"
I figure this is either an awesome title or a terrible title, but I can't decide which. It has fake relationship (obviously), best friend's little sister, and forced proximity tropes. Hero is a reclusive science fiction writer. Original title was "Love on the Beach," but I think that's way too blah.

2. "Two Weeks with the CEO"
So I never wanted to write a CEO or billionaire book...unless the hero was a POC. His interfering family is forcing him to take two weeks off work because he's a workaholic. I think this title might be too generic? But maybe it gets the point across, and I can't think of anything else...

Thanks!

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I like the title "Grumpy fake boyfriend" and since they are comedies I think it fits.

As for "Two weeks with the ceo" that is def more generic and I might be tempted to fiddle with this one.

I can't wait to see your covers. Now that I have a kindle I will check out your books :)

Curlz

cutsie-pie
Registered
Reaction score
I like both :hooray:. The first one sounds funny straightaway, the second one makes me wonder what happened and why it only lasted two weeks :Thumbs:

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
Grumpy Fake Boyfriend is risky--you'll totally have to nail the right vibe with the cover, or it might not work.

And I agree that Two Weeks with the CEO could use some work. What's the setting? Anything about the heroine that could be used too?

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone! I suspect I'm going to stick with the title for #1, but I'll try to think of other ideas for #2...kind of stuck, though.

Grumpy Fake Boyfriend is risky--you'll totally have to nail the right vibe with the cover, or it might not work.

Yeah...I still gotta look into that hiring-a-cover-artist business.

And I agree that Two Weeks with the CEO could use some work. What's the setting? Anything about the heroine that could be used too?

It's set mostly in Toronto, with a trip to Montreal. Heroine is a scientist who works in a lab at the university (not terribly important to the plot) and struggles with depression. At the start of the book, it feels a bit like the manic pixie dream girl trope (but she definitely does have independent goals and character development). I kind of want "CEO" in the title, but it's not strictly necessary.

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Does she travel with the CEO? Could you incorporate that somehow? Like, "Trip with the CEO" or "On the Road with the CEO" or "Travel with the CEO".

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
Does she travel with the CEO? Could you incorporate that somehow? Like, "Trip with the CEO" or "On the Road with the CEO" or "Travel with the CEO".

Yeah, they go on a trip, but it's not until more than halfway through the book, and it's just 1-2 chapters...

Evelyn_Alexie

Registered
Reaction score
Two weeks with the grumpy CEO :)

Two weeks, one CEO, no problem... maybe

Yeah, I know. One good thing about someone else giving you titles like these... it can help clarify what you /don't/ want :)

The Otter

Friendly Neighborhood Mustelid
Registered
Reaction score
In the room next to the noisy ice machine, for all
The first would definitely catch my attention more. And makes it clear right off the bat what kind of story it is. Two Weeks With the CEO feels kind of bland by comparison; it doesn't suggest that it's a romance or a comedy.

Lil

Registered
Reaction score
"Two Weeks With the CEO" sounds like a Harlequin Presents book. If that's what it is, the title is fine. If it isn't, you might want to try something completely different. How I Spent My Two-Week Vacation, A Very Temp Job, Training the CEO. (Since I don't know what the book is about, these are off-the-wall suggestions.)

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, a couple of alternatives for the second title. Thoughts?

a) Two Weeks with Mr. Hotshot CEO
b) Mr. Hotshot CEO

IDK if the first one is a little long? The second one seems to "fit" more with the title for the first book.

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
The "Two Weeks with..." title format makes me think of a series of books that some well-meaning person might write for teens considering different careers :tongue --I'm just not getting a romance novel vibe from it (but I'm also kinda weird.) "Mr. Hotshot CEO" would work well if the heroine or some other POV character in the story has a major snarky streak.

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
The "Two Weeks with..." title format makes me think of a series of books that some well-meaning person might write for teens considering different careers :tongue --I'm just not getting a romance novel vibe from it (but I'm also kinda weird.) "Mr. Hotshot CEO" would work well if the heroine or some other POV character in the story has a major snarky streak.

Heh, any title with "CEO" makes me think romance.

The heroine is a little snarky at times, but I've certainly read snarkier heroines. I'm probably going to stick with b)--she actually does call him that at some point--though I'm not sure if it should be Mister or Mr.

Have been spending too much time looking at stock art for covers...

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
Well, here we go...
It's up for pre-order.

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
So...I kind of went viral on Twitter yesterday, following a brief rant about my experiences with being a WOC writing romance. See thread here. Courtney Milan retweeted my pinned promo tweet, as did a bunch of other big romance authors, and a whole bunch of people pre-ordered it. Many said they loved the title and tropes. Currently in the top 100 for Multicultural & Interracial Romance on Amazon. I have 139 pre-orders on Amazon, more than 100 of those in the past 24 hours. Doing well on Kobo, too.

I think the title was a good choice. Now I just hope the book lives up to expectations :)

Last edited:

Zombolly

Registered
Reaction score
Awesome! Congrats! I love Courtney Milan already, so this is just more reason to love her. You also said nothing but truth!

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
Wow--that's terrific news re the preorders! The RWA PAN loop has been hopping on the topic, especially re WOC and the RITAs.

I'm not on the PAN loop, but there has certainly been a lot of talk on Twitter.