Religious practices (Roman Catholic and Anglican) c. 1605

autumnleaf

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
My current WIP is set in Ireland (County Cork) in the first decade of the 17th century. My characters are Irish (mostly Roman Catholic) and English (mostly Anglican) and obviously religion plays a big part in their lives (as well as their mutual distrust of each other). I'm not interested in theology but in how religious beliefs and practices affected everyday life. I was raised RC, but obviously there's a difference between the 20th and 17th-century version of Catholicism. Similarly for current versus historical Anglican practice.

So, for example, I'd like to know:
- How were Confessions done?
- How widespread were penalties for "recussancy" (refusal to attend Anglican services)?
- Did priests/ministers wear any kind of distinguishing dress (assuming they weren't trying to hide)?
- Were mixed-faith marriages allowed?
- What were the required funeral rites?

Reading recommendations would be hugely appreciated.

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not a historian, but coming from an area with Roman Catholic and Anglicans, I can say that until recently mixed marriages weren't allowed - most clergy wouldn't perform them. However, the pair in question could still get married, just one of them had to convert. It's likely the same applied in 1605.

It's a family story that back in the late 1800's, one of my ancestors, a CoE minister, married an Irish Catholic woman who converted. Some years later, she fell ill and was dying. She told her husband that she wanted a Catholic priest for the last rites, because she still feared she'd go to hell without them. He went to the nearest Catholic church, only to be told that no, no priest would come for someone who'd abandoned their faith. He had to go back and tell his wife she'd not get their blessing.

After she died, he left the church himself, having lost his faith in both sides.

lonestarlibrarian

senior bean supervisor
Registered
Reaction score
The Tridentine Mass was in use between 1570-1962, so if you happen to be near a FSSP parish (or a St Piux X parish) you can get a feel for the atmosphere.

My grandparents got married in the 1940's. Mixed marriages weren't allowed then, either; my grandfather had to convert to Catholicism.

A few years earlier, during Elizabeth's reign, sacramental confession was considered very treasonous. There's a bit about it over here. I didn't see specifics about the form that it took during those days when I glanced over a few pages, but you generally see "private" confession (vs public-on-the-steps kind of confession) from the 7th c. onwards, although even in the Didache (1st c) it makes reference to confessing your sins prior to gathering for the Eucharistic celebration. In the Fourth Lateran Council (1215) you have "mandatory" confession at least once per year, once you've reached the age of discretion. Like nowadays, the "setting" might change depending on the resources of the church/parish-- you can GIS for "confessional booth" or "confessional chair" for an affluent cathedral, but as long as you had a quiet corner, that was all that was needed if someone needed to make an emergency confession. (Painting from 1450.) In general, though, the setting was regulated for normal confessions, with exceptions made for the ill, the dying, etc. Regarding face-to-face vs anonymous---

Anonymous confession, along with the confessional as we know it today, is generally attributed to an initiative of St. Charles Borromeo (1538-1584), the archbishop of Milan, Italy. Previously, the confessor would sit in a chair and the penitent, who usually was kneeling, was clearly visible to him.

In order to ensure modesty and discretion, Cardinal Borromeo mandated in 1564 that the confessionals in his diocese be closed on both sides with a grill between penitent and priest. Pope Paul V's Roman Ritual adopted this provision, which helped spread its use, although it did not become a universal practice until the 17th century.

re: garments, if you look at some of the Elizabethan execution narratives from a decade or two prior to your setting, the way the priests were dressed sometimes makes a statement. So in some narratives, you have the priest wearing his cassock--- "I'm dying for my religion"--- and in other narratives, the narrator talks about how the priest is dressed as a gentleman-- "he's dying for his politics". There's a good article about the history of clerical dress over here, and at what point what kind of garments were mandated.

The modern and more centralized legislation regarding clerical costume may be considered to begin with a constitution of Sixtus V, in 1589, insisting under the severest penalties that all clerics, even those in minor orders, should uniformly wear the vestis talaris and go tonsured. Offenders were to lose all title to their benefices or any other emolument which they held. Another edict issued under Urban VIII, in 1624, goes into greater detail. It directs that the cassock should be confined with a cincture, and that the cloak worn over it should normally, like the cassock, fall as low as the ankles. The under-dress, the hose included, should be modest, and dark in colour. All embroidery and lace upon collar or cuffs is forbidden. The hat shall be of approved shape, and a simple cord or ribbon shall form its only ornament. Infringements of these regulations are to be punished with a pecuniary fine.

Last edited:

autumnleaf

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the information and especially for the links.

I think the rules on mixed marriages in the 20th century probably depended on the region. My Catholic grandfather and Protestant grandmother married in Ireland in the 1930s (eloped due to family disapproval) and neither of them converted, although my grandmother had to promise that the children would be raised Catholic. That doesn't tell me much about mixed marriages in the 17th century, which I suspect were rare.

Lil

Registered
Reaction score
In 1605, James I gave Catholic priests 40 days to get out of Ireland, so any that remained were dressing in ordinary clothes to protect themselves, and Catholic services were held in people's houses or in private chapels, not in churches.
Also in 1605 is the Gunpowder Plot, which produced a massive anti-Catholic reaction.
There were not only fines for failure to attend Anglican services, but James threatened to add imprisonment to the punishment.
For many people, religion was a matter of life and death, and had an enormous impact on everyday life.

autumnleaf

Registered
Reaction score
In 1605, James I gave Catholic priests 40 days to get out of Ireland, so any that remained were dressing in ordinary clothes to protect themselves, and Catholic services were held in people's houses or in private chapels, not in churches.
Also in 1605 is the Gunpowder Plot, which produced a massive anti-Catholic reaction.
There were not only fines for failure to attend Anglican services, but James threatened to add imprisonment to the punishment.
For many people, religion was a matter of life and death, and had an enormous impact on everyday life.

Thanks Lil. Yes, it was a really volatile period of history and it's hard to overestimate the impact that religion had on ordinary people. I do have the priest wearing regular clothes and celebrating Mass in a private house instead of a church, which seems on the right track. I'm currently reading about the "Popish Recusants Act", passed in 1605 following the Gunpowder Plot and adding new penalties for Catholicism. I'm assuming that these laws would be applied more readily in towns than in rural areas.