Name my magical realm get rep points

Justobuddies

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking to find a name for the place where all magic comes from in a modern setting mid west urban fantasy. I'm picturing a place similar to the Nevernever in the Dresden Files. It can have different names depending on where a person lives, what magic they practice, or even their species. ie Faerie folk, merfolk, ghosts, spirits, dragons, sprites, or daemonkind

I'm currently using the placeholder of wherever, since it's wherever magic comes from, but it just doesn't sound "magical" enough. Also the only person calling it that is an old stoner sorcerer who's a bit incompetent at teaching magic, when I'm about to introduce another more studious type and can't think of a "proper name".

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Overwhere?

(Much better than underwhere)

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
magicspring (in multiple languages:

gwanwyn hud - Welsh
magisk var - Norwegian
magiske forar - Danish
magiczna wiosna - Polish

The Source
The Soul
The Womb

Last edited:

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Otherness
The Transliminal
The Deeps
Profundum
The Pylons/ Beyond the Pylons (that one's not mine)

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Those are all good, but I'd be tempted to include the modality of magic transfer in the name. I imagine magic people access and then channel it into our world.

Something with a derived word for conduit, or source, or trans, or membrane (as in 'branes'), or matrix/lattice (as in everything is connected.) Reservoir.

From those, I sort of like lattice (fretwork), reservoir, and conduction - so I might play with synonyms and then acronyms.

Maybe the fretres fount. People who use it can channel it, and fall into a super category called conducers.

Last edited:

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't have any suggestions, but go to an online thesaurus and plug in the word magic and oodles of words pop up.

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
Are you wanting an elaborate name, or something short and simple? Also what sort of mood do you want to evoke with the name?

The Spring
The Fountain
The Empty
The Forgotten

Is this a real physical place you can visit in body, or one of the imagination?

I prefer simple names that are almost too common.

Dodge City
Smithville

Or go the Native American route.

Aiyana (eternal blossom)

Justobuddies

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Registered
Reaction score
Are you wanting an elaborate name, or something short and simple? Also what sort of mood do you want to evoke with the name?

Is this a real physical place you can visit in body, or one of the imagination?

I think it could go either way between elaborate or simple. I don't plan on discussing it overly much in story, so it's not like I need it to be easy to type, does need to be readable, though.

It is a real place that can be visited by a human with sufficient magical ability. Any mythical/magical creatures, inactive pantheons, or fantastical places that have (n)ever existed live there. So theoretically a magical human could penetrate the veil and arrive in Atlantis, visit the old gods from Olympus, or even release faeries (the dangerous kind, not the Disney kind).

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking to find a name for the place where all magic comes from in a modern setting mid west urban fantasy. I'm picturing a place similar to the Nevernever in the Dresden Files. It can have different names depending on where a person lives, what magic they practice, or even their species. ie Faerie folk, merfolk, ghosts, spirits, dragons, sprites, or daemonkind

I'm currently using the placeholder of wherever, since it's wherever magic comes from, but it just doesn't sound "magical" enough. Also the only person calling it that is an old stoner sorcerer who's a bit incompetent at teaching magic, when I'm about to introduce another more studious type and can't think of a "proper name".

Bob.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
For my fictional universe (magical fantasy), I created a spectrum of dark magic to good magic. Each character can do one, both, or fall somewhere in the middle. George called his the "force." It had a spectrum (dark side and the Jedi). I think it is important to, maybe, better develop a spectrum. Does all magic have to come from one place? If yes, how do practitioners know who is best at magic?

You can try http://translate.google.com/

Select some foreign languages and see what pops up. This may generate some good ones.

RDArmstrong

Registered
Reaction score
Well if they use wands then i'd like the idea of the source being connected to trees, the origin of that is called root or seed.

Or for a pun I'd use sorcery for magic as it sounds similar to source, maybe even call it sorce.

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Underwhere? Yeah, that one had me spewing coffee all over the keyboard . . .

Well done, zanzjan!

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
baile sidhe, Irish for fairy town... fairy is a bit of a misnomer when it comes to the Irish though. The Sidhe (pronounced sith) were race that the celts defeated when came and conquered Ireland. According to legend, the Sidhe built all the stone circles and burial mounds - and their entire race vanished overnight. Supposedly they live within their monuments, and are really - REALLY not the sort of people you want to trifle with. They're shape shifters, can control the weather, cast spells that change human behavior, and so on.

I suggest this because (being Irish myself) I know that we really don't give a feck if someone uses a bit of our legends or language. With Native American words though, some complain about cultural appropriation.

SimaLongfei

Have a laugh with me
Registered
Reaction score
Those are all good, but I'd be tempted to include the modality of magic transfer in the name. I imagine magic people access and then channel it into our world.

Something with a derived word for conduit, or source, or trans, or membrane (as in 'branes'), or matrix/lattice (as in everything is connected.) Reservoir.

From those, I sort of like lattice (fretwork), reservoir, and conduction - so I might play with synonyms and then acronyms.

Maybe the fretres fount. People who use it can channel it, and fall into a super category called conducers.
I'm going to play around with etymologies of the words you mentioned and try to see what comes up. Most of what you said has Latin roots, which would make some sense as Latin has a lot of lingual origins, so the Latin word for this place might be the one that survived. So where we go.

The Matris Surgere, or either of those words individually (mater and surgere). From another origin, I like Fretwian. There is probably some remixing of that word you could use. As a side benefit, you could call the people who use the Fretwian the Adorned, since Fretwian means to adorn.

ravaena

Registered
Reaction score
I like the Aether. It was essentially an incorrect scientific theory for explaining how gravity and light move, but has spiritual/magical connotations and is meant to refer to both a substance and the thing the substance travels through. It might work well for your purpose.

JeanGenie

Such a Greenie
Registered
Reaction score
magicspring (in multiple languages:

gwanwyn hud - Welsh
magisk var - Norwegian
magiske forar - Danish
magiczna wiosna - Polish

The Source
The Soul
The Womb

Well, I'm Norwegian, and I don't think google translate got the context there. "Magisk var" (vår) means magic spring, as in spring, the season. Magic spring in Norwegian, as the thing with water and all that, is "magisk kilde". Just to clear that up :)