Writing in present tense (should I...)

ecerberus

Registered
Reaction score
I've just about finished the first draft of my first novel. It's in past tense. Lately, I've read multiple books in the present tense, and I find them more compelling in terms of the immediacy/urgency and making you feel like you're in the journey rather than reading a recollection of it. I know it will be a bit of work for me to rework a 95,000-word draft to change tenses but wonder if it will make it better as my book has multiple battle scenes, many fights etc.

Opinions?

Last edited:

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
Grain of salt, present tense is a hard, hard sell for me. Yes, you might gain some of the above, but you lose the ability to manipulate time effectively, and depending on the type of novel you've written, that might create stumbling blocks. It might read naturally and fluidly to you, but that fluidity conceals (in many cases) a LOT of hard work on the part of the writer to make it read that way.

That said... I would make two positive points. The first is that I've read some awesome novels in present tense. So even with my bias I'll still read them and enjoy them and they absolutely have a place.

The second point, leading from the first--I believe that a story has a natural tense. It will lend itself to a certain style or feel. I do'nt think anything should be forced.

If a story dips back and forth a lot across the timeline, I tend to feel it's better in past tense. If there is a lot of forward momentum it may well work better in present. Just as examples.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Most of my first-person narratives are in present tense these days. I find that once you get used to it, it actually is easier to write in than past tense, and the reason is that there's a lot less confusion about things that are constantly happening and it's very clear cut how to write about things that happened in your story's past. But because most novels are written in past tense, the initial transition to present tense is difficult, and as Harlequin points out, you'll be unable to allude to future events because your POV character only knows what is and has happened, not what will happen.

For some reason, to me, third-person present tense feels like I'm reading a young kid's writing, but probably I haven't met the right 3rd-person-present story yet.

No matter what tense you're used to, changing some writing from past to present or vice versa will feel off during the transition. Everything will seem clunky and wrong as you go. But when you're done and after you give it some time before coming back to it, it will read perfectly normal.

detroitgirl

way out west
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.debbywolfinsohn.com
I agree, it will read much more immediate / exciting especially in the action scenes. It might take a while but -- bonus! -- you may find the prose tightening in present tense. You'll get a cleaner read and faster pace, too and it might even cut down the word count a bit which I am always happy with. I like to chop stuff down to a bare minimum.;)

PS it was a good/lucky thing you discovered it at first draft stage and not way later :)

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
I do present tense usually in conjunction with 1st person, but I've also done it as 3rd. (In short story form, but there are also sections of the Southern Gothic novellas that are 3rd person present tense.)

I don't find, even when using past tense that I jump from the "current" story events to future story events, but that may just be my way of telling a story. If you feel like this particular story needs to be in present tense, you can always try a few chapters that way and see if it works better or not. You'll likely know within a few pages even whether it's a good fit for your book or better left in past tense.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
You write in whatever style is the most comfortable for you.

BUT -- Present tense is harder to sell, especially for a first novel. Agents know this and deal with it daily.

If you've seen lots of present tense books, chances are good they are not first novels. The writer built up a track record first.

If they are first novels, chances are good they have other elements to make them commercially desirable to a publisher.

It comes down to being a business, not a creative decision.

You wanna sell a first novel in present tense, good luck with that, you will need it. I once passed along an exceptionally well-written present tense sample to my agent. She really liked it, but asked the writer to change it to past tense. The idea was fresh, the writing above average, but it would be a hard sell.

You wanna indie publish a first novel in present tense, you'll find an audience. Maybe not a big one but some readers like it.

ecerberus

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, great responses. Heartening too. Let me tackle each!

@Harlequinn - The story does not go back and forth a lot -- in fact, very little. It's 95% linear forward moving and a "journey"

@Sage and others - the funny thing is as I wrote, I kept thinking in present sense but I wrote it in past. Yes, I can be pretty dumb. I ended the book with 3 chapters in present tense (to try it out), and they felt (to me), just so much more compelling. It's like "you're there, it's happening NOW"

@Aggy - to your point, I did try a few chapters in present tense and I like them a lot more :(

The POV isn't a huge challenge. The book is written in first person POV (90%) and a few chapters in 3rd person POV - so the eye of narration is always a limited perspective. It shouldn't be too bad to revise - even if it's lot of work.

@detroitgrl - If I weren't this dumb I'd have asked this halfway through my book... :) but yes, I have a chance to go at it and modify

@Gillhoughly - those are some solid "grounding" points on the sell. Do you think there's a UK or US angle to this? (I'm targeting US). The books I've read are definitely not first timer books. They were accomplished authors so I take your point.

Ugh. It's just that when I wrote the chapters in present tense they felt more natural, faster, fluid... I have to make up my mind.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Much depends on the genre you're writing in, I think. I've read a lot of present-tense books; I tend to read contemporary fiction, literary fiction. Very little SF/F, romance, etc. Quite a few thrillers.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
It sounds like present might well be it's natural home then. BT as others have said you'll know after a chapter of rewrites (probably less) whether you want to do it.

I changed a first past to first present recently because the narrator has so many asides to the reader that it felt like tense switching and present is just cleaner.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
@Gillhoughly - those are some solid "grounding" points on the sell. Do you think there's a UK or US angle to this? (I'm targeting US). The books I've read are definitely not first timer books. They were accomplished authors so I take your point.

My agent is in the US. The sample was from a UK writer. :)

ecerberus

Registered
Reaction score
A thought. How about a mix of Past and Present tenses?

Here's what I mean: All the MCs POV chapters (most of the book) will stay in the past tense. But interspersed are 3rd party POVs whose actions/events impact the MC - how about changing those to present tense? Then the book flows like the MCs telling of a tale, with interjections on what's happening at that time... wonder if that'll work.

I've been reading about novel tenses, and it does feel like majority of readers prefer past tense books. I don't know how many would just drop a book because it's present tense, but there is a real danger to a n00b like me that an Amazon review gets out there saying 'ugh present tense' and then a whole bunch of people just don't bother to read. I've never dropped a book for that reason but in some forums I see many people having strong opinions on this (i.e. "I won't read because it's present tense!" and then a lot of up-votes)

sideshowdarb

Registered
Reaction score
I would write what you want to write, how you want to write it. The only thing you have to do is write it well. I would pay no mind whatsoever to markets, what people think will sell/not sell etc. If it's a great book, it's a great book. Some readers don't like present. Some don't like sci-fi, but that doesn't stop sci-fi. The debate around the use of present tense, to me, seems to stem off of a misunderstanding of what this particular mode is capable of. For example, some don't like it because they feel it requires the detail of every single moment of the character's life, and even day. This isn't the case. You can elide enormous amounts of time in present tense, just as in the past. Nearly every story you tell someone in person is told in the present tense. 'And then she climbs on top of the table and starts dancing. I'm like, what? And then she falls over, hitting this other guy...' You do not relate every single moment or aspect of that story in the course of telling it. You couldn't, without strangling the point.

Mixing the tenses has been done and well, but requires a lot of precision. I attempted it in a novel that I eventually settled on first person present. That was more about focus; your story has multiple POVs so it could work. Best of luck with your writing!

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
If I see past and present tenses in the same novel, I expect two different time frames.

I don't think that having a mix of tense will appease the people who don't like present tense, if your goal is to have some past tense in there to make them happy. The present tense will still turn them off. Readers who are not used to present tense need to read it for a while until the tense becomes invisible to them, so if your book is compelling enough to be picked up by someone who doesn't like it, they'll never get the chance to get used to it because you're going back and forth. And if they would put down your book for using a tense they don't like, they probably really wouldn't like the idea of two tenses.

You can't please everyone. If it wasn't the tense, it'd be something else. But if you're too worried it's a problem, write in past. If the book reads better in present, write in present. Using both won't make you or the present-tense-haters happy.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
Loads of books are written in present tense; absolute buckets of them. I am having difficulty with the claims that it doesn't sell well. MAybe this is just a genre difference?

I've seen tense mixed, more commonly in literary than genre fiction, but then again, maybe I read the wrong genres.

I also quite like POV mixing, (3rd and first) but that's less popular. I'm trying it with a WIP atm. What fits the book, fits the book.

eschluessel

Registered
Reaction score
Tense has all sorts of possibilities -- one thing I did recently was used a switch from 1st person past tense to 1st person present to indicate that a story has "caught up" to the narrator. The biggest question is, is it clear to the reader if it's in present? If so, then does the story feel better in the immediacy of the moment or after the moment has passed? Being in present tense lets your narrator be unreliable more readily: they haven't had a chance to analyze or reflect on what they're seeing, so you can more believably withhold details from the reader.

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I don’t really like first-person, present-tense narrative. It always takes me out of the story a little, as I wonder, “who is this person narrating to, and why?” I’m not saying it’s an instant put-down-the-book, nor that I’ve never encountered a story written this way that I enjoyed (though I cannot think of one, at the moment); only that I find it a less natural way to receive a story.

But, I am just one reader. And I don’t read very much SF/F, or very much YA, which comprise what at least the plurality if not the majority of AW writers write. And those categories tend to have different voices and styles from the sort of thing I do tend to read.

The upshot is, write your story the way it feels most compelling to you, and find beta readers you trust, beta readers who like the genre you’re writing in, to tell you whether it feels compelling to them.

TSJohnson

Registered
Reaction score
I find present tense only fitting for some types of novels, and only few types of styles. I'd recommend to try it on a few chapters and read it to see if you like it.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I don’t really like first-person, present-tense narrative. It always takes me out of the story a little, as I wonder, “who is this person narrating to, and why?”

Just out of curiosity, why do you think you don't get that question from first-person, past, which is the literal same narrator?

Also, do you not get that question from third person, when the narrator is not named as in most first-person POVs, but is some usually-unnamed person or entity? Or do you just take the author as the narrator, even if it has a distinctive voice that might not be the author's?

Obviously, how you feel when you read it is how you feel, but I just wonder why the narrator seems clear in those cases, especially as to me, the third-person narrator is less clear (but that doesn't bother me when I read unless something else is going wrong).

ETA: I missed the "to" in your question, and I see it now, lol, so the above may seem confusing. Also, I admit that question makes a lot more sense to me than without the "to" :greenie But, still, either way, they're narrating to someone. Who is it?

Last edited:

ecerberus

Registered
Reaction score
@Lakey - my book is a historical thriller intended to appeal to adults. Part of the endeavor (apart from the fact that in my experimental chapters I found 1st person present tense POV lot more compelling and fun to write) is that I want the reader to feel like they're there in that time period, rather than read something that was long ago. It's all personal preference of course. Right now I'm reading a thriller that's written entirely in 3rd person present tense POV and spans 10 years in timeline and I love it.

I read some articles about how present tense makes it harder to do X or Y and many of those felt theoretical with the exception of a present tense POV not knowing what happens in the future which a past tense POV might know. But that's not a problem in my book. And I also don't get the point about believability of a present tense narrator. Well, lots of past tense POVs have a character dying -- it's not like the dead guy wrote the chapter later either.

Appreciate all the responses in this thread BTW.

Edit: And some bloggers says present tense is gimmicky -- I don't get that at all. What's gimmicky about a tense? It's just a narrative style.

Last edited:

Daydreamer92

Registered
Reaction score
I have never felt not there in past tense story; it is a non-intrusive way of storytelling to me. Present-tense however, is very weird to my reading ear and unless the plot is awesome will jar me out of the story. Actually no, it jars me out no matter how good the story is. How good the story is may keep me slogging on. It's a bit like reading something written in Yoda-speak; sure I can get through it, but I'm constantly aware of said narrative style as I go.

Last edited:

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
ETA: I missed the "to" in your question, and I see it now, lol, so the above may seem confusing. Also, I admit that question makes a lot more sense to me than without the "to" :greenie But, still, either way, they're narrating to someone. Who is it?

When the story is in the past, it's in the past - it's a lot less inherently strange that a person would reflect on and recount (to a reader) something that happened in the past. Whereas in the present, that person would be experiencing the story, not narrating it, reflecting upon it, describing it to someone else.

Perhaps it would have been clearer if I'd phrased my question as "why on earth is this person narrating their present experience to anyone, rather than just living it?" When I am in the midst of a heightened emotional moment or a violent struggle, I'm not typically also recounting it in carefully crafted sentences with insightful metaphors.

It's all fairly artificial; all crafted narratives are, and so it is rather fine and probably an overstatement to say categorically "I dislike present-tense, first-person because X and like past-tense, first-person because Y." As I said, I wouldn't dismiss a story out of hand because of this one thing. But I tend not to find in such narratives the immediacy that some experience; rather, I experience a heightened sense of detachment, and I can only suppose it's because it makes no sense that a story would be narrated this way, as it happens, by the person it is happening to.

ETA: Here's another thought. Jane Eyre, one of the most effective and affecting first-person narratives I know of, is mostly narrated in the past tense, from the perspective of a decade or so on, after all the turbulent events of the book have settled in their contented end. But there are a few places where the narrative leaps into present tense for a paragraph or two. And in those places, I do experience the immediacy - it's very affecting, and it ups the pace and the urgency of what is happening in those moments.

But it's only a few paragraphs, for effect. I don't think the effect would be nearly as powerful if the narrative were told entirely this way. Indeed I think it would be exhausting. One needs the distance of time and reflection to tell a story about something transformative that happens to oneself.

Once again, only my opinion, and not at all categorical - you all should tell your stories as they seem most powerful to you, and trust your readers to come along on your journey. Also, I'd be delighted to be bowled over by a counterexample, and if it happens, or if I think of one, I promise to come back to this thread and acknowledge it.

Last edited:

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
why on earth is this person narrating their present experience to anyone, rather than just living it

There are some good answers to that, in fairness. You mention Jane Eyre narrating things in her past; I read an AW'er MS recently where there is no future. The world ends when the novel does. So there is no future point of reflection to look back from, only the moment to live in.

Despite my wariness of present tense, I'm using first and third present (a mix) in one of my WIPs. It wasn't what I set out to do, but it's ended up being what suits the novel. It felt more natural than swapping between first present asides to the reader, and first past to the story (and sometimes, those were mixed). Who the person is narrating to, and why, becomes clear by the end and the story is, you might say, written instantaneously.