Major wreckhouse or sestes over New England/Atlantic Canada

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Apparently not a simple Nor'easter, this is a major sub-tropical winter cyclone. Les seste is the term used in the Acadian region where they have seen winds hit north of 200 km/h in Cape Breton. Wreckhouse winds in Western Newfoundland have hit over 180 km/h. Keep safe, AWers in affected region.

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
I'm on the edge of the storm, here in Eastern CT, USA, but we do have 10" of snow, and the winds have picked up over the past hour.

Be safe and warm my friends.

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
In the western suburbs of Boston here--I'm guessing we've had 14-16" of snow so far, though it's hard to tell with the blowing. Looking at the radar it'll be coming down for some time (though down on Cape Cod this has been mostly rain. Funny bout that.) Winds have been howling--steady mid 20s mph gusting to 40-ish--but nothing that we haven't seen before. What I haven't seen before is how the barometric pressure dropped--from 29.63" in the morning to 28.80" around lunchtime. That was kind of freaky.

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
Southern NH checking in, the roads got dangerous almost as soon as it started this morning. I chose not to risk the 30~ mile commute to work today, and glad of it. The snow has stopped for now but the winds are picking up. So far no power issues, but many people here got generators after the ice storm, including my household, so we'll be ok with heat at least. We actually didn't get as much as I expected, but the blizzard warning is through early tomorrow morning so who knows what I'll wake up to.

SWest

In the garden...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
The wind out of the backside of this monster is, well, about like you'd expect the wind out of a monster's backside to be.

Hatten your batches, northerly folk.

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
Stay warm and stay safe, everyone!

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
We're safe from any further snowfalls. City snow removal budget says so.

-cb

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
I'm now expecting SyFy to turn this into the next Sharknado movie...

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm now expecting SyFy to turn this into the next Sharknado movie...

NYT has already planted the seed (although it's sad about the sharks).

All fine here in DC. it seems the worst of it is up north. Just windy and temp dropping fast. Tomorrow and Saturday should be the coldest days of the winter so far, and probably the coldest it will get this year. I'm not one to tell people what to do with their money, but being homeless is tough any time of year and I'm sure food pantries, shelters and heating assistance charities would appreciate some support.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Coach Bill Belichick of the New England Patriots ordered a full practice today and made sure his players knew they needed to be there on time. Priorities, ya know.

caw

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Coach Bill Belichick of the New England Patriots ordered a full practice today and made sure his players knew they needed to be there on time. Priorities, ya know.

caw

Meanwhile the ice hockey team, the Boston Bruins cancelled their game.

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net

caw

Darth Hoodie doesn't take no guff!

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe 10” of snow here in central Massachusetts — hard to tell for certain, with all the drifting going on. Less than places on the coast received, anyway.

I have a tractor with plow attached to loader arms, and this was pretty fluffy stuff. Still took me about 1.5 hours to clear our 800-foot driveway, because more snow’s on the way, so I made sure to push snow well off the driveway, into the woods.

It wouldn’t be humanly possible to clear this driveway by hand, but it’s still unpleasant to sit exposed for 90 minutes when the temperature is -5F with 10-15MPH winds!

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
South of Boston and we have over two feet of snow in the yard (and for most of the day, yes, it was perfectly horizontal). We're used to that. I am gobsmacked that we did not lose power, given the howling winds. We're close to the beach (three houses up) and it always windier over here. There was a lot of flooding in our city, but the closest it came to us was a street or two over. I watched a lot of friends' videos of water in their yards. I feel lucky to have a dry basement.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I hope everyone caught in this storm's path is staying warm and safe, and that the damage isn't going to be too horrible to repair and clean up.

We're (finally) getting some rain out here in CA this week. I hope this means the weather pattern is going to shift to something more normal for the entire country (so we get some rain and mountain snow and you guys get less of that bitter cold).

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
There is also the risk of damage to the arena with the storm surge and all those effects.