Advice for a beginner writer

RDArmstrong

Registered
Reaction score
I've done writing in the past, short stories for fun. I'm not an experienced writer and I'm not a naturally-talented writer but I feel like I have a big story in me that I need to get out and writing seems like the best way.

How would someone like me begin when they want to ensure they give their story the justice they think it deserves?

Should I begin learning to write other books or start on the book now? Does anyone here identify with this?

Last edited:

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
There's lots of general advice - read lots, study the basics of grammar, look at how-to-write books (with the understanding that the only absolutely indispensable and unbendable rule in writing is "clearly convey ideas to your readers" - that, and "a finished story is the only story that will ever sell") - but I'll address the last line:

Should I begin learning to write other books or start on the book now? Does anyone here identify with this?

I can relate to having ideas that seem too big for me. But one thing I've learned is this: you will never, in the history of ever, "ruin" a story by trying to write it.

You can burn out on an idea, certainly. You can decide it has a fatal flaw and "trunk" it, moving on to something else. You can realize that the story you thought you wanted to tell (Hero Bill's fight against galactic invaders, for instance) is actually something different (a scathing satire on superhero culture narrated by Hero Bill's sidekick and ex-lover.) But you will not ruin it - and will, in fact, likely learn more in trying than waiting around for that magical golden time to begin. Anything you write can be rewritten; that clock only runs out when it's published. Even then, if you hit it big, you can do one of those "author's preferred editions" or re-releases or some such.

If this book is the one burning a hole in your brain, at the very least do some brainstorming, to pin down your ideas now while they're fresh and hot from the oven of your brain. You can put the notes away for a while if you feel you aren't getting anywhere, or if you want to learn more about basic storycraft before wading deeper, but you'll at least have those notes to help get you back into that story, that world, that mindset when you do proceed. And even if you don't end up using those notes (see also the previous paragraph: anything you write now can be rewritten without tearing a hole in the space-time continuum, including brainstorming ideas and notes), it's good practice.

JMHO, of course...

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Brightdreamer's got it. Get ideas down. Brainstorm. Most importantly, read in the genre you want to write in. Read OUT of the genre you want to write in. Just read. It's one of the best practices you can give yourself and your book - burying yourself in books and training your brain to understand the flow, the process, the dos and don'ts of a novel, especially novels of your genre.

Also, understand that your first go may not be your best go. You may NOT be ready to write this, and you may not discover that until you're neck-deep in the novel. And that's okay. You can put it aside while you work on something else, scrap it and start over, or just let it sit while you brainstorm. You don't have to get it right and "do it justice" the first time, and honestly, you probably won't. Every novel needs editing when it's done. Learn to accept that, and accept that you can always, always fix it. Might take time and education, but you will be able to do it. So start now if you want, start with something else if you like. Just come to terms that it probably won't do it justice the first go though. The first go is mining out the diamond. Everything that comes after is shining it up. Good luck. :)

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've done writing in the past, short stories for fun. I'm not an experienced writer and I'm not a naturally-talented writer but I feel like I have a big story in me that I need to get out an writing seems like the best way.

How would someone like me begin when they want to ensure they give their story the justice they think it deserves?

Start writing, join a critique group or get feedback here in the SYW forum or do both.

I've been working on my current novel for more than six years, (could be seven I've lost count). The story framework spilled out in a NaNoWriMo challenge. The first chapters I wrote formed the basis for me learning to write and I did not know how to write fiction at all when I started.

Between my critique group and lots and lots of homework reading how-to-write books and blogs, I'm confident now that I'm writing decent stuff. Not necessarily best seller on first go stuff but definitely publishable if I can get someone interested in the story.

It was fine that the stuff I wrote at first wasn't up to par. I re-wrote it, edited and re-wrote some more. I haven't lost enthusiasm for this story yet. Every time I go over a chapter I edit some more. And I still love reading it.

I'm convinced most of us need feedback to learn to write and that means getting started so you have your work to learn from.

Last edited:

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Allow your first drafts to not be perfect. Focus on finishing and learning as you go. By the time you finish your first book, you'll have learned much more than you would if you write the first chapter over and over again, looking for perfection before you move on.

Hang out in Novels and Basic Writing Questions and your genre's subforum and read threads that you don't think could possibly apply to you. You'll learn a lot more than you think.

Read books in your genre. As a bonus, read threads in Share Your Work here in your genre, and see what doesn't work for you. It's amazing how much you can learn critting someone else's work.

No matter how the Shiny New Ideas might call you, at some point make an effort to finish a novel. It's really hard to get through that Great Swampy Middle (YMMV: some people find beginnings or endings more difficult), and easy to lose enthusiasm, but that happens for almost all authors. That said, if you're completely stuck where you can't move on at all, and some SNI is calling your name, it's okay to quit the old novel and pick up something new from time to time.

RDArmstrong

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all so much for this advice, it has helped me to decide how to pursue this.

There's lots of general advice - read lots, study the basics of grammar, look at how-to-write books (with the understanding that the only absolutely indispensable and unbendable rule in writing is "clearly convey ideas to your readers" - that, and "a finished story is the only story that will ever sell") - but I'll address the last line:

I can relate to having ideas that seem too big for me. But one thing I've learned is this: you will never, in the history of ever, "ruin" a story by trying to write it.

You can burn out on an idea, certainly. You can decide it has a fatal flaw and "trunk" it, moving on to something else. You can realize that the story you thought you wanted to tell (Hero Bill's fight against galactic invaders, for instance) is actually something different (a scathing satire on superhero culture narrated by Hero Bill's sidekick and ex-lover.) But you will not ruin it - and will, in fact, likely learn more in trying than waiting around for that magical golden time to begin. Anything you write can be rewritten; that clock only runs out when it's published. Even then, if you hit it big, you can do one of those "author's preferred editions" or re-releases or some such.

If this book is the one burning a hole in your brain, at the very least do some brainstorming, to pin down your ideas now while they're fresh and hot from the oven of your brain. You can put the notes away for a while if you feel you aren't getting anywhere, or if you want to learn more about basic storycraft before wading deeper, but you'll at least have those notes to help get you back into that story, that world, that mindset when you do proceed. And even if you don't end up using those notes (see also the previous paragraph: anything you write now can be rewritten without tearing a hole in the space-time continuum, including brainstorming ideas and notes), it's good practice.

JMHO, of course...

I have done plenty of outlines, excel spreadsheets full of notes and storylines.
I am currently up to writing it and wasn't sure if it's worth risking getting muddled and frustrated on this project or not. I suppose I can always move on to something for a while if I become sick of it.
I'm sure I will fail writing it many times and it will be better for it.

Brightdreamer's got it. Get ideas down. Brainstorm. Most importantly, read in the genre you want to write in. Read OUT of the genre you want to write in. Just read. It's one of the best practices you can give yourself and your book - burying yourself in books and training your brain to understand the flow, the process, the dos and don'ts of a novel, especially novels of your genre.

Also, understand that your first go may not be your best go. You may NOT be ready to write this, and you may not discover that until you're neck-deep in the novel. And that's okay. You can put it aside while you work on something else, scrap it and start over, or just let it sit while you brainstorm. You don't have to get it right and "do it justice" the first time, and honestly, you probably won't. Every novel needs editing when it's done. Learn to accept that, and accept that you can always, always fix it. Might take time and education, but you will be able to do it. So start now if you want, start with something else if you like. Just come to terms that it probably won't do it justice the first go though. The first go is mining out the diamond. Everything that comes after is shining it up. Good luck. :)

Well my background is biological analytics in neuro and as part of the book I'm working on a simple language of sorts. So I'd say it's sci-fi fantasy with some mental illness. That's the story, but personally genre has never been so important as most my reading interest has always been about writing styles rather than content.

The story is what I need to get out but my want is that it be a book I'd like to read, that's going to be the real difficulty here with this I think and probably why I'm nervous to start.

I will start writing over the weekend, I am happy in the knowledge that it doesn't have to be perfect on the first go. It certainly makes sense, I'm keen to put it up in SYW threads once I'm ready.

Start writing, join a critique group or get feedback here in the SYW forum or do both.

I've been working on my current novel for more than six years, (could be seven I've lost count). The story framework spilled out in a NaNoWriMo challenge. The first chapters I wrote formed the basis for me learning to write and I did not know how to write fiction at all when I started.

Between my critique group and lots and lots of homework reading how-to-write books and blogs, I'm confident now that I'm writing decent stuff. Not necessarily best seller on first go stuff but definitely publishable if I can get someone interested in the story.

It was fine that the stuff I wrote at first wasn't up to par. I re-wrote it, edited and re-wrote some more. I haven't lost enthusiasm for this story yet. Every time I go over a chapter I edit some more. And I still love reading it.

I'm convinced we all feedback to learn to write and that means getting started so you have your work to learn from.

Oh, that's so great to hear that you haven't got sick of it yet, that's really my main concern about practising writing on this idea.

I agree with the importance of feedback, I'm very used to working that way. Feedback is so valuable, I'm so happy that websites like this exist.

Allow your first drafts to not be perfect. Focus on finishing and learning as you go. By the time you finish your first book, you'll have learned much more than you would if you write the first chapter over and over again, looking for perfection before you move on.

Hang out in Novels and Basic Writing Questions and your genre's subforum and read threads that you don't think could possibly apply to you. You'll learn a lot more than you think.

Read books in your genre. As a bonus, read threads in Share Your Work here in your genre, and see what doesn't work for you. It's amazing how much you can learn critting someone else's work.

No matter how the Shiny New Ideas might call you, at some point make an effort to finish a novel. It's really hard to get through that Great Swampy Middle (YMMV: some people find beginnings or endings more difficult), and easy to lose enthusiasm, but that happens for almost all authors. That said, if you're completely stuck where you can't move on at all, and some SNI is calling your name, it's okay to quit the old novel and pick up something new from time to time.

I suppose it's very hard to predict how you work along any novel. It's worthwhile starting and just facing the struggle when it happens. If only you could hire someone to finish your work sometimes.

Last edited:

stephenf

Registered
Reaction score
Hi
No one is born a writer , you need to work towards it. Possibly.... all your life.
Read books on writing , about writing and writers
Show your writing to as meany people as possible, but no one is an arbiter of taste, you need to look for a consensus of opinions.
Read a lot and write Critiques of what you have read .

Last edited:

CameronJohnston

Great Old One
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cameronjohnston.net
What I did was write two unpublishable novels. When I wanted to write a third with a real aim for publication...I stopped. I took two years out and wrote a whole bunch of short stories, had then critiqued and learned a lot by critiquing others. I levelled up my prose and THEN I tackled this third novel, the one that will be published later this year. It was a conscious decision on my part and I don't regret it at all. This novel is so much better in every way than it would have been otherwise.

What I would urge you to do is to either write a few chapters, or some short stories, and have a bunch of people critique them. If you and they feel that your writing is up to a professional publishable standard then fire ahead with the novel, if not, write some shorter pieces as a learning exercise - trust me, it doesn't hurt as much when a short piece turns out deeply flawed! The other option is to write the novel now, but be prepared to have a rough draft that is not perfect in many ways - be prepared to scrap it entirely and re-write it in an improved form. I was loathe to do that on the novel-scale, which is why I suggest trying short stories first.
I have a bunch of links to good writing resources gathered on my website, and there are lots of other places out there for you to read that would help.

Carrie in PA

Write All The Words!
Registered
Reaction score
1. Check perfectionism and expectations at the front door when you're writing your first draft. In your head, your story may look like a Michelangelo but when you type out your first draft, it resembles something your 3 year old niece would create in preschool. AND THAT IS OKAY.

2. For the love of all that is holy, do NOT finish your first draft and think it's so amazing that you publish it as is.

3. Make writing a consistent habit. You get better by doing.

4. Read. A lot. In your genre, out of your genre, new stuff, old stuff, books on the writing craft, etc.

5. Learn how to edit yourself, and learn how to take criticism.
5a. Learn to trust your story and when to take advice and when to leave it.
5b. Learn to critique. It sounds counter intuitive, but you'll learn so much about your own writing by learning how to objectively critique other authors' work.

Odile_Blud

-_-
Registered
Reaction score
A cave. (I power the internet with my imagination)
Just start writing, and you'll learn things along the way. Study the craft, look into some writing tips, study the elements of story telling, join a critique group, read some books like the ones you want to write, do a literary analysis of other books (which I found to be helpful later on), and just start writing. The more you do it the more you grow.

Last edited:

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I’m not much further along than you; I’m about three quarters of the way through the first draft of my first novel. I have never written much fiction before, and it’s been a scary, vulnerable-making, humbling experience, every moment of it. Here are a few observations:

• Everything Carrie in PA has said is superb advice, especially about checking your perfectionism at the door. I hate to do things I am not good at, and that has held me back in so many areas of my life. I am working so hard not to let it hold me back here. My first drafts are bad. They are terrible. I just have to put them out there, let them be, and know that I can improve them and redo them. I expect to write probably three times as much text as ends up in my novel. I have to let myself learn, and learning means failing over and over again, learning from my failures, and getting a little better each time.
  • Read, read, read. I have stepped up my reading since I began writing the novel and I have learned SO much from it. Read analytically. Notice how writers do things. Revisit your favorites and ask yourself why they are so effective. How does their large-scale structure work? How do they keep perspective? How do they evoke emotion? How do they handle the passage of time? Everything from large-scale planning to minute mechanical detail can be learned from watching how other writers have done it.
  • Read lots of critique threads here on AW, in the Share Your Work section. Get involved in writing critiques of your own, too, but more importantly read the threads. See what mistakes others are making that you can identify in your own work. I read for six months before daring to post anything of my own, and when I did, it was largely free of all those mistakes I had seen and learned about from reading other people’s crits.
  • Be prepared for it to take a long time. A college classmate of mine has her second big-five novel coming out this month and is finishing up writing her third. I talked to her about process. When she heard I’d been working on my novel for a year and a half, she said “Oh, you’re just at the beginning. You have all the time in the world.” Her first novel took her almost a decade — she also had a legal practice, and two young children. (Now she’s on leave from practice and her older child is about to graduate from high school, and she can devote much more time to research and writing.) I have a mentally taxing day job and sometimes there are entire weeks when I just can’t find the energy to work on my novel. And even when I do, I know it’s going to take years more to get it anywhere near where I hope it will be.
  • Be open-minded. Even if you’ve plotted and outlined to the micron, let your story take you where it needs to go. I was halfway through my novel when I realized that if I changed A, B, and C about my main character’s circumstances, her stakes would be much higher and I could get a lot more interesting social history into the story. It would mean rewriting much of the first half. What I did was just to keep marching forward as though I had rewritten the first half. When I get to the end, of course, I’ll have an incoherent draft, but then I’ll go back to the beginning and start over.

I didn’t mean to go on for quite so long - I hope it’s helpful.

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Write it and read-- a lot.

Also, practice on the forum. Great way to hone the skills.

Aerythia

Registered
Reaction score
I've done writing in the past, short stories for fun. I'm not an experienced writer and I'm not a naturally-talented writer but I feel like I have a big story in me that I need to get out and writing seems like the best way.

I feel like we are in identical situations.

I've had these big stories within me for years. The problem was, when I began to write them them I was totally unhappy with how I did so. So I would give up. I did that quite a few times in my late teenage years and early twenties.

This summer I read a series of books that I loved. Not only that, but if I would have written a book by then, the series I read would have basically been what I had churned out. Fantasy, strong female lead, magical abilities blah blah blah.

So I made a decision - just write something. I came up with a plot outline that I liked, sat down and just spat the whole thing out over about five months. I refused to allow myself to obsess over how I had written it (even though I knew it wasn't great) but instead focused on finishing. Funnily enough I felt like the more I wrote, the better I got. The latter half of my book flows much better than the first.

So my advice is - do a bit of research if you want, but don't delay in actually writing your book. Get it down on paper. Don't worry about whether you are writing it well, if you're a perfectionist it'll never be good enough anyway! Then, when it's done, you have something tangible to play with. You might find you have to rewrite a lot of it (I'm guessing that's what I'll have to do!) But at least you have something to work with.

morngnstar

Registered
Reaction score
Write it.

You can read. You can study craft. You can study grammar and outlining and story structure and editing, but you won't learn anything unless you write. Trying to learn to write without writing would be like trying to learn to surf by reading every book on surfing you can get your hands on.