another character title question

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
In my dystopian city state there is a part of the government concerned with internal security. Basically they torture people to either get knowledge, or a confession, or (in the case of my MC) to force compliance to the governments requests. I thought it would be deliciously evil if the leader, and top torturer was a woman. She can play at being sweet and loving as she shoves needles between MC's toes etc. She's a viscous sadist, and at one point tells the MC that the faces of people writhing in pain are "so beautiful".

She needs a nickname. The one I arrived at was 'Blood Angel', but wonder if someone can think of something better.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
-The Pain Queen
-Needlebaby
-Succuba
-Miss Manners
-The Dom

Maybe more coming, maybe not. None of these I've mentioned are that special. :shrug emoji:

indianroads

Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
Thanks. I looked up nick names of female mass murderers and torturers on line (The Blood Countess, Bloody Mary, etc.) and none of them really fit. The Blood Angel will probably do, but I thought I'd troll to see if anyone could come up with something better.

Justobuddies

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Registered
Reaction score
Is this is the one with the leader called mother?

May consider familial sort of titles then:

Aunt Payne (Pain)
The Twisted Sister
Granny (just for the potential of saying: "They they dropped him off at Granny's place, poor bastard.")

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
*everything justo mentioned*

FWIW I don't love Blood Angel. Bloody Mary, though...

indianroads

Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
Is this is the one with the leader called mother?

May consider familial sort of titles then:

Aunt Payne (Pain)
The Twisted Sister
Granny (just for the potential of saying: "They they dropped him off at Granny's place, poor bastard.")

Good, but the two aren't related. Blood Angel (Chelsea Cromwell) runs a group like the German SS, and is the much feared strong arm of the government. She is one twisted lady... and as such kinda fun to write.

ETA: Bloody Mary (as you probably know) was (if I recall correctly) the eldest daughter of Henry VIII, and the predecessor of Queen Elizabeth.

Last edited:

Justobuddies

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Registered
Reaction score
I wasn't trying to suggest that they were related, sorry if it came across that way. I was simply thinking that the leader is called mother so using a moniker along a similar vein of family.

The SS (Schutzstaffel) meant protection squad, causing it to become very ironic nomenclature. Are you trying to get a similar vibe of an organization meant to protect Mother's Children at any cost?

indianroads

Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
I wasn't trying to suggest that they were related, sorry if it came across that way. I was simply thinking that the leader is called mother so using a moniker along a similar vein of family.

The SS (Schutzstaffel) meant protection squad, causing it to become very ironic nomenclature. Are you trying to get a similar vibe of an organization meant to protect Mother's Children at any cost?

Ah - I didn't get where you were going with the familial reference.

The regime is patterned more after the PRK (N. Korea) than Nazi Germany. When people are suspected of being against the government they disappear, and if they return they are shattered human beings. My MC refuses to work with the government, and so is taken in for persuasion... and even after only a few week stay he suffers panic attacks when he sees Chelsea Cromwell at government council meetings. She is the Director of Internal Security.

She primarily uses well placed needles to torment her prisoners, along with a lot of psychological games.

I was thinking about changing her nickname to the Witch... but maybe something with knitting needles...

JackieZee

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think I'd use Twisted Sister because, while "We're Not Gonna Take It" is kind of appropriate in the context of torture, I wouldn't be able to get away from the image of 80's hair metal. :)

If she actually uses knitting needles for torture I think I love her.

Do you need knitting-related pain puns?? Gauge is a knitting term that sounds kind of pain-related. Same with cables and stitches. Ripping back is a term for when you have to undo your work. And can she please choke people with circular needles, or scarves that she has knit herself? Does this take place in a modern setting in which she can go on an evil monologue with a victim about how a bottle of water isn't allowed on airplanes but 15" titanium knitting needles are? Followed by "do you know what one can do with five double-pointed needles? *Sweet smile* Knit a sock, for one. For another..."

I'm sorry, this didn't answer your question at all. Don't mind me.

ETA: The Stitcher maybe??

ETA AGAIN: Or The Twisted Stitcher! Sounds like a pun on Twisted Sister, plus twisting stitches is a thing in knitting.

Last edited:

Justobuddies

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Registered
Reaction score
The Seamstress - She could refer to her victims as pincushions.
Mistress Obedience

Based on your previous thread it sounded like mother sees herself as a loving and caring savior of the country. So she may be sending them to something more medical sounding, because what sort of mother would she be if she didn't take her sick children to the doctor. Especially effective if those needles are hypodermic needles.

The Physician
Mother's Nurse
MAc for Minister of Acupuncture or just The Acupuncturist
The psychiatrist

To really strike fear in U.S. readers call her High Deductible HMO ;)

SimaLongfei

Have a laugh with me
Registered
Reaction score
So, a nickname for a woman who feigns being sweet while torturing people with needles. Also the leader of her department ...

I'm thinking of things like Aunty Mae. Things that bank on the maternal authority within the division. Aunty or mother derivatives like Aunty/Aunt Needle, Mother Pain, Mother Red, Aunt Red.

Or if we wanted to lean into the mass murder inspirations you were mentioning, then something like Bloody Stitch, The Dollmaker, Sweet Release, Bittersweet Chelsea, Shirley Temple (this one tickles me for some reason, Red Stitch, Crossstich ... Crochet of the Damned.

indianroads

Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
Just finishing up with the first draft, and thought that I'd mention that I chose "Mother's Nurse" or "the Nurse" for her nickname. I'll add some backstory for her in the second draft that puts her as a real trained nurse that was caught torturing patients at the hospital - and instead of being punished, she was moved to her new position.

Thanks to everyone for all the wonderful ideas!

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Thanks. I looked up nick names of female mass murderers and torturers on line (The Blood Countess, Bloody Mary, etc.) and none of them really fit. The Blood Angel will probably do, but I thought I'd troll to see if anyone could come up with something better.

Angel of pain?

Dark Mother?

I like "The Seamstress" also.

"The nurse" works , though.

Justobuddies

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Registered
Reaction score
Just finishing up with the first draft, and thought that I'd mention that I chose "Mother's Nurse" or "the Nurse" for her nickname. I'll add some backstory for her in the second draft that puts her as a real trained nurse that was caught torturing patients at the hospital - and instead of being punished, she was moved to her new position.

Thanks to everyone for all the wonderful ideas!

Glad to be of help. Looking forward to reading it.

The name of a rather bad metal rock band from the 1970s.

caw

I think Twisted Sister was from the 80's - they were pretty good.

"The Price" video

Started in the 70s didn't get famous until '84 with "We're not Gonna Take it!"

Good or bad they had big hair and that was what mattered dammit.

indianroads

Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
Glad to be of help. Looking forward to reading it.

Started in the 70s didn't get famous until '84 with "We're not Gonna Take it!"

Good or bad they had big hair and that was what mattered dammit.

Not just big hair... frigging HUGE hair. :roll:

Fujuman

Registered
Reaction score
Website
comicsnraps.blogspot.com
In my dystopian city state there is a part of the government concerned with internal security. Basically they torture people to either get knowledge, or a confession, or (in the case of my MC) to force compliance to the governments requests. I thought it would be deliciously evil if the leader, and top torturer was a woman. She can play at being sweet and loving as she shoves needles between MC's toes etc. She's a viscous sadist, and at one point tells the MC that the faces of people writhing in pain are "so beautiful".

She needs a nickname. The one I arrived at was 'Blood Angel', but wonder if someone can think of something better.

I think I need to know more about her. Something more than just her gender. If you cook up a nice backstory, something in her history may stick out. Kinda what sets her apart from other torturers you know?

Sarahrizz

Registered
Reaction score
Website
writingstudiosarah.blogspot.com
Just a tip, you may know this already, but the Baddies that have the biggest effect are the ones that come with a backstory atleast implied in the piece, one that specifically answers the question "WHY?!?" your readers will be asking themselves. It can be a twisted "why" but it should connect for the character's logic.

indianroads

Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
This novel was published about a month ago. I went with the Nurse - and her torture chamber she calls her Treatment Room. She's a nasty piece of work and therefore a good villain, so good in fact that she's more prominent in the second novel of the series (which I'm in the planning stages for currently). Writing someone that messed up and psychotic is actually kinda fun.