Music?

quianaa2001

Registered
Reaction score
The last book I wrote for a few years which I've now shelved, was a thriller and most of my music is now all moody and dark. Since music gets me in the mind frame to focus better when I work some times I'm wondering what do you listen to to get in a romance mindset? Any suggestions or recs?

MerriTudor

Registered
Reaction score
Website
crampedquartersblog.wordpress.com
Baroque for me. I find it very sensual. Violin and harpsichord, and the quiet passion of the rhythm gets me every time! 'Course, I write mainly historical, so works better for me perhaps than it might for another.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have what amounts to a decent-sized musical library of New Age and Light Classical, nothing with lyrics. All are good enough to listen to for their own sakes, yet make fine background music. A few create a mood, but not many, since I prefer not to have to think about what music I have to play to get in the head-game to write a particular scene. I do know people who find film scores are a great inspiration and mood-creator.

Musicians I'm happy to recommend include Adam Hurst, George Winston, Jean-Luc Ponty, Patrick O'Hearn, Inkari, Philip Glass, and my pal Bach. Oh, various Celtic collections, so long as it's instrumental and not vocals.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
I recently glommed onto the Fallout 4 OST for good background sound. I also like the soundtracks from the Vikings TV show and the movie Gladiator.

I have a playlist on my iPod I call "Creativity mix" but it's all songs with lyrics, songs that strike me as romantic when I hear them, or that make me feel creatively energized. I've listened to them so many times, the lyrics fade to the background, but mostly I use it when I'm not writing, like when I'm walking the dogs or working in the garden. It's sort of creative-brain sugar.

Evelyn_Alexie

Registered
Reaction score
I find the type of music varies based on the particular story. For a historical romance set in the American West, Irish folk music worked. For a contemporary suspense, a mixture of Sia and The Fray.
When I can't find a particular type of music that suits a story, I fall back on movie soundtracks, laden with emotion but no distracting lyrics.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I once tried listening to 80s stations in iTunes while working on a manuscript that opened in 1984. Everything I heard was released in 1985 or later.

Not helping.

Jurné Ends

Registered
Reaction score
I always have music going but it varies depending on the scene. I listen to a wide array of genres (r&b, hip hop, country, alternative, rap, blues, jazz, pop, rock) and prefer a song to just plain music. I make a lot of different playlist in general -I believe firmly in having theme songs for my life. For the past few days I have on heavy rotation Erykah Badu, Adele, Beyonce, Maroon Five, Coldplay, Kings of Leon, Janet, John Legend, Rihanna, Bob Marley, Jimi Hendrix, Drake, Kanye, Disney Scores, Trey Songs, Justin Bieber, Tupac and Ray Charles. Not necessarily just for writing though.

Carrie in PA

Write All The Words!
Registered
Reaction score
It all depends on the story. I have a Spanish Guitar playlist. All instrumental, it has a Latin sexy feel to it. Other stories I write to standard classical music, some I just turn on the radio.

edutton

Ni. Peng. Neee-Wom.
Registered
Reaction score
I once tried listening to 80s stations in iTunes while working on a manuscript that opened in 1984. Everything I heard was released in 1985 or later.

Not helping.
For something like that, I'd probably turn to Youtube and the Billboard Top 100 by year playlists...

For the OP, I guess it all depends on what you find sexy/romantic. There's an old Windham Hill anthology called "The Impressionists" that *I* think is romantic, and of course as other have suggested movie soundtracks are a rich field (things like The English Patient, pretty much any Merchant/Ivory movie, and so on). Mellow, smoky jazz might also work for you... good luck!

Last edited:

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I really flip flop. Sometimes I like country and other times I like Ocatne on sirius, or lithium. I really flop around. Sometimes I'll start off with one station only to end up on the nature sounds. It really depends on my mood.

DarbyC

Registered
Reaction score

OOH, love this! I create playlists for what I'm working on. My current WIP is a bit dark, so my playlist is titled "Broken". It's full of rock and some pop songs, with an undertone of dark and twisty. I don't always play it when I am actively writing, but during times of brainstorming.
DarbyC

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I LOVE music so I'm going to use this list and explore.

Give me a few months and, er, I'll get back to everybody! :D

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
For romance... AC/DC, Iron Maiden, Breaking Benjamin, Red, Mason Hill, Seether, Creed, but also Carly Comando (pianist), and I had a pase of listinening to Promontory (violins), oooh and I love the guistairst who does does cover version of AC/DS'S Thunderstrcuck: Luca Stricagnoli... my god, the kid can play a guitar. But at the moment it's Mason Hill, who are a good mix between David Coverdale (Whitesnake) and Daughtry. They've only got four singles out the moment, and it's killing me, as there's a guitar riff in this that's STUNNING, got a lovely taste of Hendrix to it...

*Goofy grin * Yeah, lol. I listen to music lots...

George Trigiris

Registered
Reaction score
A list of 40-50 power ballads.

Scorpions, Metallica, Deep Purple, Iron Maiden, Europe etc.

Jeneral

Cat wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
I make WIP-specific playlists with songs that capture the mood or emotion of the story I'm writing. I don't always listen to it while I'm drafting, but a lot of the time I'll play it when I'm doing other things, to keep me in the mindset of the story and keep plot ideas turning over in my head. A lot of the time when I'm drafting I listen to either brain.fm, Coffitivity, or a "focus" type playlist on Spotify. I do also have a "sexeh" playlist to get myself in that kind of mindset.