Status
Not open for further replies.

D.L. Shepherd

Revising, revising, revising...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnaowczarek.com
Thank you RoccoMom, Rosanna, and I.M.Lost!

Congratulations! You know, I haven't been on AW for long but every time I login and see a post like yours it's very exciting. I have yet to publish or even submit anything to a publisher but thank you for sharing your good news... I think it gives people like me hope that getting published one day is possible!

Rosanna, I know what you mean. It's so encouraging to see posts about other writers landing agents or selling to large publishers, especially at auction!!

Don't get me wrong, I'm extremely excited to be publishing with Lakewater, but I'm also hopeful of finding an agent for my current project with the goal of selling to one of the big six. Posts like the ones I mentioned give me hope too!

ThomasH

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats Shepherd!
If you don't mind me asking, how long did you have to search to sell your novel?

D.L. Shepherd

Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnaowczarek.com
Congrats Shepherd!
If you don't mind me asking, how long did you have to search to sell your novel?

Hmmm...good question. The short answer is since 2012, but in truth, I wasn't searching for a publisher the entire time. I originally starting pitching it to agents in July 2012, and I signed with an agent in January 2013. Then we worked on revisions for a few months before it went out on sub. My agent ended up doing a couple of rounds of submissions, and then she decided to stop being an agent in early spring of 2014. (hopefully not because of my book!!)

Since the novel had already been on sub, I didn't think it would find a new agent, so I trunked it while finishing up a memoir I had been working on. Then I focused on trying to find an agent for the memoir, and when that didn't pan out, I started subbing the memoir to small publishers.

I honestly don't remember when I dusted the novel off and started subbing it to small publishers, but it was sporadic. Once in a while I'd read about one that I was interested in, and I'd send out a query letter. I first queried Lakewater in July of 2017.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:

ThomasH

Registered
Reaction score
Whoa! I imagine you'd be pretty angry about getting an agent and that agent then retiring.
I'm searching for one right now, so I'd be incredibly frustrated to lose somebody who believed in my work.
Was that your first agent, working on publishing your first novel?
Or were you already established elsewhere writing-wise?

That's great that you were able to finally get it through the process and into published-land, especially after having had it on your end for 5 years.
Gives me some hope for my first manuscript - even if this isn't the year it gets published that doesn't mean it won't ever happen.

I'm happy for you!

D.L. Shepherd

Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnaowczarek.com
I was more disappointed than angry. She had only been an agent for about a year, and decided it was just not for her. What can you do?

This was my first novel, first agent, although I did have two short stories published beforehand.

Never ever give up hope. Even if this manuscript isn't the one that lands an agent, the next one might be, so keep writing and keep trying. Thanks...and good luck on your journey!

telford

We learn by doing
Registered
Reaction score
Huge congrats. Best of luck with the launch.

Qwest

Here on a catnap
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats on the offer! (a bit late to the party), and thanks for sharing your story - all the ups and downs with your novel, and I'm so glad you've got your happy ending!

Status
Not open for further replies.