• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Interview your character (join in, it could be fun!)

eastallegheny

Registered
Reaction score
Website
nimrien.wordpress.com
I saw this done somewhere and I thought it was a really cool exercise. They had a whole subforum set aside for it, and if this thread takes off, who knows? We might have a case for appealing to the mods to do it here!

Basically, you write a short paragraph in character as your character, and other people come along and ask them questions, and you answer in character. It's like a combination of roleplaying and Devil's Advocating (like, asking the questions that indicate plot holes/flawed thinking so they can be dealt with), and I think it's a really fun and valuable to try out and strengthen a character's voice.

I'll start us off. I have a bunch of characters, but you don't have to interview them all if you don't want. You can pick the one or ones that most appeal?

(I'll do it in the next post, so that the OP isn't too overwhelming!)

eastallegheny

Registered
Reaction score
Website
nimrien.wordpress.com
Bill
My name is Lorien the Luminescent, and I am a wizard of Lerastir. I just graduated last week, and I'm pretty darn chuffed about it. My dad's dead, died a few years back, and my mum's on her own now. She's kind of a drag. I love her, but she's always harping on about how I need to go get a job, and her idea of me getting a job is babysitting someone else's kids or scrubbing their floor. No offense to her (she's a seamstress), but if menial labor was my life's ambition, why the bollocks did I go to wizard school? I'm hilarious, actually, but a lot of the time I feel like no one really gets me. Ah well. I'm on this quest because I fancy an adventure, and also because Mum can't deny, I got off my bum and found a job. I'm not washing windows or changing nappies, but I'm gainfully employed. I wish that was enough for her.

Caeda
Hello. I am Caeda Elatoris, and I am an elf from the Six Seas. I am a ranger, as are all elves where I am from. I have a twin sister, and we are exactly alike to look at, but I fear we do not get on particularly well. I think the problem is, I am a terrible ranger, and cannot shoot straight to save myself, but Callania is possibly the best shot on the island. I think it would be easier for me if she was a terrible person, but she is not, she is my sister and I love her. Something none of the others know about me, is that I am technically related to the royal family. My mother's brother is married to the queen's youngest sister. Callania and I are not royal in the slightest—we will never inherit the throne—but we have been raised on an island with many other extended members of the House of Liavaris. I tend not to make this public knowledge, because you can never tell who will receive it badly, or use it against me.

Elion
Hello! I'm Elion, and I'm from way up in Befalls. I'm an elf, and a bard, but I am completely crap at barding. My mum says my singing voice sounds like two cats having a scrap over fish guts in a burlap sack floating down a river. She's not wrong. It's fine though, I'm not miserable about it or anything! I sound rubbish but I've mastered most of the basic spells with my lute. I feel like I've been walking for years—I left home a few years ago and just walked around Nimrien, going here and there and seeing what I could see without any real goal. Now I'm on this quest, and I feel like I want to make sure I'm useful. I can't really do much, but what I can do, I'll do gladly, you know? I just think it's so great that we're basically being paid to walk around and look for something. I was doing that for free before!

Nalyn
My name is Nalyn, and I am a dwarf from Above. Peaddena Plateau, to be exact. My father died before I was born, so my mother taught me to fight. I favor a battle axe, personally. I'm used to being the one who breaks up the fights, and I'm used to being the one who knows the right thing to say. I think that's why I was chosen for this quest. Every questing party needs someone who can be diplomatic, right? Growing up Above, I'm aware I've had a more balanced and progressive upbringing than dwarves from Below get. I try to take that into account when I talk to them, but some of them can be so infuriating and backward! I've been Below, and I won't deny it's nice down there, but I wouldn't want to have grown up there. I'm glad I'm from Above.

Solenne
Yeah, I'm Solenne. What of it? Of course I'm a halfling. Wasn't that obvious from how short I am? I grew up in Lerastir, without a mum or dad. I didn't need one. I brought myself up. I don't really have any friends because I think the only person I can really trust is me. I'm the only one whose brain I can see into, right? Like anyone else, they can say pretty words, but the truth is, you can't tell what their brains are thinking. Nah, I'm not into it. I'm with these people because we were put together for this quest, and I'll work with them because it's a means to an end (getting paid), but I highly doubt we're going to end up linking arms and skipping off into the sunset together when this is all over. That's if they even all make it through alive. If we hit danger... let's just say I'm saving myself before I'm putting myself in danger for anyone else.

Thorden
I am Thorden, of Pacot Below. Truly, it's the only decent place for a dwarf to dwell. Yes, I am currently Above, but that's all about the quest, and not a choice I would have made for fun. Look, there are certain things that are just true, and it's exhausting having those challenged by ignorant, delusional Above dwellers. Dwarf marries dwarf, for example, and they have dwarf babies, and that's an end to it. I'm not for all this interspecies mingling, not at all. And you know what? I'm not even entirely convinced we should have all these women in this party. Sure, Nimrien is a matriarchy. We've got a Queen, and all our priestesses are women, and most people in power are women... but that doesn't mean I think they have a clue what they're doing. Truth be told, I've not even bothered learning their names. The likelihood is that they'll get tired, or weepy, and break off to go home soon enough.

And as a bonus,
Roger
Whoa... weird. I woke up and those people were gone! Or like... did I dream them? Wow...

BrumBall

Keep Right On
Registered
Reaction score
Bill, what is your dream job, if you don't fancy menial work?

Caeda, what things are you better than Callania at?

Elion, can you tell me something about your quest? What is it you are looking for?

Nalyn, what are the differences between Above and Below? Why are you glad to be from Above?

Solenne, why so aggressive? Short guy syndrome?

Thorden, what makes you think your world would be a better place with more men in power?

Roger, have you figured out if you dreamed them yet? :D

morngnstar

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, my name is Tatiana Simonova, but everyone calls me Tanya. My sister and grandfather, that is. I don't really have any other friends. I dropped out of school when my grandmother died to take care of my grandfather. But I still try to keep up with my studies. I like to read, and I go to the library when I can. I especially like fantastika about space. I like to imagine myself exploring the cosmos. I don't expect my life will ever be that exciting, but it's a welcome distraction from the things I have to face in real life.

morngnstar

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Nalen, pleased to meet you. Big fan. I relate to your story, because I'm from The South, but I grew up in The City.

Is there anything you feel you missed out on, not growing up Below?

Despite your frustration with dwarfs from Below, do you wish you could get to know one better, to try to understand them, or to make them understand you and why people Above think the way they do? Do you think that would be possible?

Do people you meet have certain expectations of you as a dwarf, and do you think those stereotypes are mainly to blame on the dwarfs from Below?

Do dwarfs from Below ever accuse you of cowardice when you try to reason your way out of a fight instead of swinging your axe? Do you think there might be any truth behind that accusation?

Lastly, what kind of oils do you use on your beard? It's luxuriant!

morngnstar

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I'm Alex. I don't really know why anyone would want to interview me. I'm not famous or anything. Yeah, I'm the lead engineer at my company, but we make water pumps. Are you from a trade magazine or something?

Once upon a time, I thought about being an architect. Maybe then I would have done something worth writing about in a magazine. But I'm fine with not taking that path. Not everybody has to be extraordinary. The world needs some people who quietly do the important work behind the scenes.

eastallegheny

Registered
Reaction score
Website
nimrien.wordpress.com
Bill, what is your dream job, if you don't fancy menial work?
Well, I spent long enough training to be a wizard, it stands to reason I ought to be doing something where I get to use my magic. I want to have an adventure, not be someone's servant.

Caeda, what things are you better than Callania at?
I was always better at reading and writing. Yet another source of contention between us.

Elion, can you tell me something about your quest? What is it you are looking for?
Well, let's see. I was wandering, and then this letter got left for me at the bar of the inn where I was staying, asking me to come to the house of this man, the Collector? And then he sent us out looking for... actually, maybe I shouldn't tell you. We want to get to it first. (But I can tell you, Bill? Messed up REALLY badly, and now everyone's kind of mad at him.)

Nalyn, what are the differences between Above and Below? Why are you glad to be from Above?
Primarily, the logistics: Below is underground, while Above is above ground. Culturally, those who live Below seem to have this attitude that theirs is the preferred location for our kind, and seem almost resentful of those who have made their homes Above, as if we have betrayed them somehow, rather than simply taking advantage of having more space. And then, somehow, with open air comes an open mind. There are certain morals and philosophies those from Below hold that we from Above consider antiquated and frankly in some cases harmful.

Solenne, why so aggressive? Short guy syndrome?
You live my life and tell me how non-aggressive you end up! Not everyone gets a pretty little cottage with a Mumsy who cooks them dinner every night. I've had to fight for every thing I've ever had--and, if I hadn't got used to fighting, I probably wouldn't be alive today.

Thorden, what makes you think your world would be a better place with more men in power?
Please understand, I have nothing against women personally--my Goddess Ophina, after all, is female. But there are certain unalienable facts, like the fact that on average, a man is stronger than a woman, and like the fact that women get very emotional and unreasonable every moon or so. We have been lucky so far, with a woman on the throne. That being said, I and others like me firmly believe that while she has done an adequate job, it is time, and it would be appropriate, for her to step aside and let a man take over.

Roger, have you figured out if you dreamed them yet? :D
Whoa... dreamed who? When did you get here? Oh man... did the smoke bring you? Are you from the center? It's all coming back to me... they were looking for something. Oh! Me! They were looking for me. I helped them look, man. And then, when we found me, they said they were looking for something else, and I told them, it's in the center, and they just... evaporated into the smoke...

Whoa.

eastallegheny

Registered
Reaction score
Website
nimrien.wordpress.com
Hi Tanya. Am I correct in assuming you're from Russia, or a similar eastern European country? Why did you grow up with your grandparents? What happened to your parents? Is your sister older or younger than you are?

eastallegheny

Registered
Reaction score
Website
nimrien.wordpress.com
Hi Nalen, pleased to meet you. Big fan. I relate to your story, because I'm from The South, but I grew up in The City.

Is there anything you feel you missed out on, not growing up Below?

Despite your frustration with dwarfs from Below, do you wish you could get to know one better, to try to understand them, or to make them understand you and why people Above think the way they do? Do you think that would be possible?

Do people you meet have certain expectations of you as a dwarf, and do you think those stereotypes are mainly to blame on the dwarfs from Below?

Do dwarfs from Below ever accuse you of cowardice when you try to reason your way out of a fight instead of swinging your axe? Do you think there might be any truth behind that accusation?

Lastly, what kind of oils do you use on your beard? It's luxuriant!

Well firstly, my name is Nalyn... you were close! Nalen is the male spelling.

Honestly, I'm happy having grown up Above for so many reasons. The culture, the opportunities... but I can't deny that Below has a history and traditions that Above can't even come close to. It's similar to... your America, versus your Britain. While America has a long and fascinating history, the fact is that Britain's history just goes back further. Similarly with Above and Below. Above, we have history, but Below... centuries upon centuries of history and pride.

Stereotypes are difficult. Obviously, we as dwarves are not a monolith any more than you as humans are, but there are certain traits that are inescapable, and I think that's how stereotypes begin: with a grain of truth that gets exaggerated and stretched. I am short, as are the vast majority of dwarves. I am... somewhat stocky of build, again, typical of my kind. But see, how you have asked me "what oils I use on my beard" - a stereotype, I am afraid. It is true that our men are known for their "luxuriant beards" as you so eloquently put it, but female dwarves do not grow beards. I am sorry if that disappoints.

Thorden would love the opportunity to speak against me regarding my love for diplomacy first and violence when necessary. I'll tell you what I would tell Thorden, if he stop his passive aggressive muttering under his breath and accuse me outright of cowardice: it's not cowardice, it's common sense. Why bother leading with a sword every single time, when we could save our energy for those fights that are inescapable?

Like the wolves. We obviously had to fight those, that was life or death. But the frogmen? Hundreds upon hundreds of frogmen, and Thorden would have waded in, sword flailing, and he would have been overrun and killed in seconds. Why on Ophina's earth would I allow that to happen without at least trying to appease Gekak?

eastallegheny

Registered
Reaction score
Website
nimrien.wordpress.com
Hi, I'm Alex. I don't really know why anyone would want to interview me. I'm not famous or anything. Yeah, I'm the lead engineer at my company, but we make water pumps. Are you from a trade magazine or something?

Once upon a time, I thought about being an architect. Maybe then I would have done something worth writing about in a magazine. But I'm fine with not taking that path. Not everybody has to be extraordinary. The world needs some people who quietly do the important work behind the scenes.

Hi Alex. No, I'm not from a trade magazine - just a curious member of the public.

I'm wondering, if your initial ambition was to become an architect, why you opted for becoming an engineer. When in your life journey did this shift take place? Was it at college, when you were choosing classes? Was architecture too difficult, or unavailable? Or, was your choice made in deference to outside expectations? (Did your parents pressure you into choosing engineering over architecture?) Or was it as simple as job opportunities available when you graduated? (I wanted to be a spy when I was very young, and I changed my mind as I grew because opportunities to become a spy are sorely limited.)

You seem to have something of a lack of self esteem, Alex--or at least, you seem uncomfortable with the idea of being "extraordinary". Everyone is extraordinary to someone. Who in your life do you think might describe you that way? Is there anyone special? Family, friends? Do you have any pets?

morngnstar

Registered
Reaction score
I'm wondering, if your initial ambition was to become an architect, why you opted for becoming an engineer. When in your life journey did this shift take place? Was it at college, when you were choosing classes? Was architecture too difficult, or unavailable? Or, was your choice made in deference to outside expectations? (Did your parents pressure you into choosing engineering over architecture?) Or was it as simple as job opportunities available when you graduated? (I wanted to be a spy when I was very young, and I changed my mind as I grew because opportunities to become a spy are sorely limited.)

To be clear, I wanted to be a lot of things when I was younger: an actor, a teacher, a geneticist, a race car driver, maybe even a spy, though more the behind the desk kind. I was interested in serving my country, but preferably in a way that wouldn't involve me getting shot at. If I had a really good idea what I wanted to do, I might have done that, but my brother was helping me through college and he thought engineering would be a reliable career. I was pretty good at math and science, so I went with that as my major, and experimented with other things when I could.

You seem to have something of a lack of self esteem, Alex--or at least, you seem uncomfortable with the idea of being "extraordinary". Everyone is extraordinary to someone. Who in your life do you think might describe you that way? Is there anyone special? Family, friends? Do you have any pets?

I never thought of myself as lacking self-esteem, until you mentioned it. Now I'm not sure. I do above-average at most things I try. I just don't think everyone can be extraordinary. Then it would be ordinary. Of course my mom thinks I'm extraordinary. And I don't think you have to be extraordinary. It's more about liking what you do. I don't think I'd be an extraordinary architect. Maybe a unique one.

morngnstar

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Tanya. Am I correct in assuming you're from Russia, or a similar eastern European country? Why did you grow up with your grandparents? What happened to your parents? Is your sister older or younger than you are?

Yes, I live in Moscow. My parents died in a fire when I was very young. I was four, my sister was twelve. We are very different. I think our parents' death affected her more. I barely remember them. I think of my grandmother as my mother, only better: she gave me sweets whenever she could get her hands on some, and she taught me everything about cooking, and singing, although I don't think she knew she was teaching me that; it just happened. Now she's gone, and I'm still very close with my grandfather, but it's not the same. I adore him, but we don't have much in common.

Ashmash467

Registered
Reaction score
My name is Jessica, everyone normally calls me Jess.
Well, my twin brother and friends, if I had any.
I’m a bit of a loner, but I’ve had a rough past. If it wasn’t for that, I’d be trying to become like my parents: happy, healthy, in love, successful, patient, and long suffering They’re amazing. Or they were. They died in a horrible car crash racing home to me, from work. Me, I think I’m meh, but i have a lot to offer. I have a tendency to latch onto people. I become fully emotionally involved from the minute they enter my life. I’m hoping it won’t end up destroying me.

Hey Tanya, why aren’t you close to your grandfather? Do you think maybe it’s because he’s hurting from the loss? Have you talked to him and tried to get to know him? I know I would give anything to hear my grandpa’s stories again.

Last edited:

morngnstar

Registered
Reaction score
My name is Jessica, everyone normally calls me Jess.
Well, my twin brother and friends, if I had any.
I’m a bit of a loner, but I’ve had a rough past. If it wasn’t for that, I’d be trying to become like my parents: happy, healthy, in love, successful, patient, and long suffering They’re amazing. Or they were. They died in a horrible car crash racing home to me, from work. Me, I think I’m meh, but i have a lot to offer. I have a tendency to latch onto people. I become fully emotionally involved from the minute they enter my life. I’m hoping it won’t end up destroying me.

Jess, why are you a loner if you tend to latch on to people?

What would you consider success?

Hey Tanya, why aren’t you close to your grandfather? Do you think maybe it’s because he’s hurting from the loss? Have you talked to him and tried to get to know him? I know I would give anything to hear my grandpa’s stories again.

He's always been just as curmudgeonly, as long as I can remember. He has more in common with Dasha than he'd like to admit. They both close themselves off to avoid getting hurt. I think they do this by nature, rather than in response to any trauma, but maybe not. I guess Dasha wasn't always like that; she was happy once, though she was always bossy, just like Grandfather. It's because they care, though.

And oh, yes, I love his stories. It's our favorite thing to do together. I even think some of them are true, at least from his point of view.

Ashmash467

Registered
Reaction score
Jess, why are you a loner if you tend to latch onto people?

I used to have friends. I was myself. I had a boyfriend. He took me on a date and stabbed me when I wouldn’t sleep with him. He spread rumors about me around the school. I became a loner because of it. My friends didn’t believe me. It nearly destroyed me. My parents thought I’d never come out of my funk, go figure they weren’t here long enough to find out. I guess I shut myself off because I’m scared of being hurt too. I don’t want to love people and have them die, or up and leave me. Deep down I’m a scared little kid. But it’s just me and my brother now. I can’t be scared anymore.
My parents were successful with their jobs. Both top of the line Bio- Chemical Engineers. They were given awards. Went to countless parties in their honor. They were the ultimate power couple. Money. Power. Success. The works.

Have you tried talking to Dasha about your grandfather? Maybe Dasha knows something you don’t?

Last edited:

GoSpeed

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rjacques.net
Hi Everyone!
I am GoSpeed Rasere. Yeah, my first name is kinda silly, but I didn't pick it. I am an Artificial Intelligence inhabiting the virtual world of Simvie Loko in the year 2492 AD. I have been active for over 40 years, but my appearance is that of a black woman of 28 years. For most of my existence I have lived on an island serving human Users who would log in for entertainment. Recently there was a virtual war between some Users and the World Governing AI and I saw combat. The rebelling Users won the conflict and the AI ruler granted concessions, to include full emancipation of all virtual people like me. Free to make my own choices, I face the new world with trepidation and hope.

morngnstar

Registered
Reaction score
My parents were successful with their jobs. Both top of the line Bio- Chemical Engineers. They were given awards. Went to countless parties in their honor. They were the ultimate power couple. Money. Power. Success. The works.

That's what they consider success. What do you consider success? The same things? All of them? One in particular? Or something different?

Have you tried talking to Dasha about your grandfather? Maybe Dasha knows something you don’t?

No, I suppose I haven't tried. One doesn't really talk to Dasha. She talks at you. Anyway, I think I have a pretty good idea what she thinks about Grandfather. But maybe you're right.

Icarus_Burned

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Everyone calls me Omi, its a nickname my Sister gave me distilled from Omega, i should also mention i am the entity formerly known as Death and the one responsible for all death in the known universe.

I am currently on sabbatical from my cursed duties having never understood the reason for so many seemingly innocent deaths and the pain they cause and until now have suffered through it all but i am too angry and tired of it all now. I have decided no more dying.

I am currently working in a hospital as an orderly having been absolutely entranced by a midwife during one of my calls to duty. I am wrestling with the consequences of my actions at the moment and i don't quite know what to do.

I have serious family dynamic issues, feel somewhat cursed and abandoned by dear old dad and haven't seen my Sister since not long after our inception at the dawn of time.

cynicalpirate

Registered
Reaction score
Lady Emma Dale
Hello, my name is Emma Marianne Dale and I am a resident of the Great Royal Republic. I am the second of five girls. Mom and Dad really wanted a son to carry on the family name, but God had other plans apparently. I have a elder sister, Elizabeth, who is the bossiest person I've ever met. Then there's Edith the bookworm, and after her Emily who falls in love with every young man she meets, and finally Eloise who everyone (including me) affectionatly calls The Brat. Since she has five daughters and no sons, Mom is on a (financial) quest to marry each and every one of us off to the highest bidder. Currently Elizabeth is being courted by Lord Oswald Good, the heir to a large clothing manufacturing dynasty and there are rumors that Mom has started making overtures to Lord Edward Hall about possibly connecting our families together with a marriage between GoodyTwoShoes Edie and Lord Hall's obese blob of a son Lord Owen. Me, on the other hand...Mom has a bigger plan. Apparently my Godmother, Princess Marianne, has offered her son, Prince Eric, as husband material for her favorite Goddaughter. I on the other hand, am not looking forward to the idea of marrying into a Royal Family in the slightest and have been fighting it like the Great Plague. I'm not exactly what you would call Princess material. I openly laugh at others, my dresses are always dirty and I chat with the servants on a daily basis. I have also already promised myself to another, but my parents don't know that...I think that's all you really need to know about me...

Interviewer's Note: This is told in First Person but the story Lady Emma is from is told in Second Person, just a FYI

Last edited:

morngnstar

Registered
Reaction score
Emma,

If your mother makes successful matches with some of your sisters, could that ensure your family's fortune enough for the others to be able to choose on a less mercenary basis? Or is she dead-set on maximizing her profits?

Since there is no son to inherit, who will your family's estate pass to? Is that a factor motivating any of the suitors? Wouldn't a match with you or your sisters be as lucrative to the husband as to your family?

What do your sisters think about their suitors? If Edith is a bookworm, maybe looks aren't the most important thing to her. Do she and Lord Owen have that in common?

What do the suitors think about your sisters? Lord Oswald sounds like the kind of person who's used to being in charge. What does he think about a bossy wife?

But I should really be asking about you. Do you think you you could be a good royal, if people weren't so fixated on conventionality?

This person you've promised yourself to, you didn't tell us much about them. Is it serious, or an idle fancy you indulged long ago?

morngnstar

Registered
Reaction score
One more character from my book.

Hallo, I'm Dasha. I'm not ashamed to tell you I'm a prostitute. Somebody's got to do it. Well, I don't suppose somebody has to, but I do. No one else in my family is willing to do what it takes to survive. But I'm not going to be able to do it forever. There are new, younger girls on the streets every year. Tanya's going to have to step up.

BrumBall

Keep Right On
Registered
Reaction score
Omi, how long can you give up your 'duties' before the earth is overrun with humans? Will the consequences make you believe that death is actually a good thing?

Dasha, are you sure there are no other jobs you and Tanya can do? What is the best and worst things about your job?