2018 Hugo Awards

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
For those of you who were/are members of Worldcon 75, Worldcon 76, or Dublin in 2018 as of December 31, 2017, Hugo Nominating season will soon be upon us!

The Best Series category is now a permanent part of the Hugo Awards (last year it was a special category).

There is a new as-yet-unnamed Young Adult Award. This is Not A Hugo (tm) but will be on your ballots. (And hopefully named the Lodestar Award at the Business Meeting this year.)

Here is the Ladybusiness Spreadsheet (AKA Renay's Hugo Spreadsheet of Doom).

Other third party recommendation sites are off to the right on this page.

What do you plan to nominate?

paddismac

Parasite free since '09
Registered
Reaction score
I hope this isn't a complete derail right off the bat, but I've always been curious how the Best Editor is selected. Without the original, unedited manuscript to compare with the final version, how do we know?? :e2shrug:

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
LOL, that's a derail hallowed by the ages! It's discussed almost every year.

For Best Editor Short Form, you can look at the short fiction selected for the publication.

For Best Editor Long Form, shrug. Look at all the books a person has edited and decide if you like them? There's no way I know to separate the Editor's excellence from the Author's excellence.

When it comes to voting, no one has given the Hugo packet (so far!) pre-and post-edited material to compare. What has been given is a sample of several chapters from books the Finalist has edited. Or sometimes nothing. (Baen, for example, gives generously to the Hugo packet in the written fiction categories but has not given anything to the packet for the Best Editor Long Form category.) It's a very hard to judge category and for that reason many people either leave it blank or No Award the whole category. It's up to each individual nominator/voter to decide.

(What I wouldn't give to see all the snarky editing comments that Ursula Vernon's editors, for example, give to her. LOL.)

Good Luck!

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I think the assessment of "best editor" for a Hugo is based on their track record of acquisitions, not any developmental or line editing that may have occurred. There's no accessible-to-the-public evidence for the latter, & since most writers would not be happy sharing their unwashed underwear in public, I doubt there ever will be.

paddismac

Parasite free since '09
Registered
Reaction score
I think the assessment of "best editor" for a Hugo is based on their track record of acquisitions, not any developmental or line editing that may have occurred. There's no accessible-to-the-public evidence for the latter, & since most writers would not be happy sharing their unwashed underwear in public, I doubt there ever will be.

This is certainly true, but what a gift it would be to many aspiring writers (including myself)!

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I hope this isn't a complete derail right off the bat, but I've always been curious how the Best Editor is selected. Without the original, unedited manuscript to compare with the final version, how do we know?? :e2shrug:

If the editor in question is an acquisitions editor, one thing to consider is the new authors they've "discovered" and put out in the world that came out in the last year?

I've never been clear what type of editors are eligible for the award.

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
The requirements for Best Editor in the WSFS Constitution are:

3.3.10: Best Editor Short Form. The editor of at least four (4) anthologies, collections or magazine issues (or their equivalent in other media) primarily devoted to science fiction and / or fantasy, at least one of which was published in the previous calendar year.

3.3.11: Best Editor Long Form. The editor of at least four (4) novel-length works primarily devoted to science fiction and / or fantasy published in the previous calendar year that do not qualify as works under 3.3.10.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
The Nebula nominees have been announced and JJ over at File 770 has links to the stories that are on line

I'm surprised the Blade Runner sequel movie didn't get nominated for a Nebula for the dramantic presentation category. I know it wasn't a box office smash (any more than the first movie was), but it was well reviewed, and I would have thought people within the SFF community would have liked it better. There are a number of good SFF movies this year, however. I was surprised to see Get Out nominated, because it's more horror than SFF, but I guess the SWFA includes that as well?

Last edited:

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Deadline for nominating is TOMORROW (Friday March 16)

Nominate now!

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Any trouble with the You-Know-Who whiners this year?

Nope! The one puppy-adjacent list out there didn't manage to get any of it's slated works on the final ballot.

And congrats to Our Own zanzjan and Red Wombat!!

DongerNeedFood

Registered
Reaction score
Finally some best novel finalists I've actually read. Might as well go ahead and rename it the N. K. Jemisin award.

How does the Broken Earth series not get nominated for best series?

SoullessSingularity

Getting my feet wet
Registered
Reaction score
Finally some best novel finalists I've actually read. Might as well go ahead and rename it the N. K. Jemisin award.

N.K. Jemisin actually stated on her blog she specifically requests fans not to suggest the Broken Earth series be recommended for Best Series. This is because she does not want to "double dip" awards. i.e. given the first two books already received awards individually she is uncomfortable with them receiving a second award as a group.

Congrats zanjan and red wombat!!

Last edited:

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score

We won't know for sure until Hugo night, but in addition to Jemisin asking fans to not nominate Broken Earth for Best Series, it's possible that if enough of us DID nominate Broken Earth for Best Series, she declined the nomination.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
RedWombat is made of awesome. :)

And thanks everyone for the congrats.

Alan Yee

Still Here!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations to all the nominees, especially zanzjan and Red Wombat!