Trump and Bannon Divorce Gets Ugly! Won't Someone Think of Children?

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Somehow the Republican party has this idea that red means stupid. They can promote child molesters, traitors, double dealing tax frauds, bribe takers, money launderers and maniacs. The people will support any Republican as long as they have Fox and Breitbart selling family values, white Christianity, and churchy smugness. I used to think they were right but I see their support peeling away like an onion. Some will peel with Bannon, some will peel with Ryan and the establishment Bannon despises, but they are peeling away and, funny thing, getting smarter. They don't always agree with me but people I know are looking beyond the labels supplied by Fox News.

I’d like to believe all that, but too much evidence suggests you’re wrong. The GOP and rightwing media have been peddling their bullshit since Reagan at least. I see no evidence that Republican voters are looking beyond the labels and ready to embrace progressive values. If they’re shying from Trump, with all the many and horrible foibles hung around his neck, it doesn’t mean they won’t turn out to vote the next Bible-thumping anti-government charlatan with a good haircut who runs.

Davy The First

Registered
Reaction score
What distraction? Trump is the country's favorite joke. The point of the book is that Trump is too stupid to cover up his own lies and greed, too stupid to inspire loyalty in his aides, too stupid to choose advisors without scandal and shame in their backgrounds. He is too stupid to even stay awake while studying the freaking constitution--something we all had to do in high school!

There are no masterminds here. For years the Republicans have been investing in "types" guaranteed appeal to the red state voters. Remember Sarah Palin? Feisty, cute, able to handle a shotgun, (so can I, ho-hum) she was bound to appeal to women voters only as soon as she opened her mouth, plain old stupid came out. She, as much as Romney, lost them the election. They invested in rich business mastermind and came up with Tom Buchanan, who read a book once. They invested in angry and guess what? Stupid came along.

Somehow the Republican party has this idea that red means stupid. They can promote child molesters, traitors, double dealing tax frauds, bribe takers, money launderers and maniacs. The people will support any Republican as long as they have Fox and Breitbart selling family values, white Christianity, and churchy smugness. I used to think they were right but I see their support peeling away like an onion. Some will peel with Bannon, some will peel with Ryan and the establishment Bannon despises, but they are peeling away and, funny thing, getting smarter. They don't always agree with me but people I know are looking beyond the labels supplied by Fox News.

"The truth may be stretched thin, but it never breaks, and it always surfaces above lies, as oil floats on water.” -- M. de Cervantes Saavedra
No masterminds? What?? (lol)

What I meant, was the attack was on junior and jared. Bannon knows fire's gotta come out of that Ruskie smoke. So, sure, let the lesser mortals burn. As for Donnie, he don't care bout nuthin or no one, no how. So, let his son and son2 burn. Aint no thang.

However, the ETA bit, (Donnie himself def met the Ruskies) suggests Bannon either is gone awol, or trying a more sophisticated version of the distraction approach. Of course, he might just be a loon. :D

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What distraction? Trump is the country's favorite joke. The point of the book is that Trump is too stupid to cover up his own lies and greed, too stupid to inspire loyalty in his aides, too stupid to choose advisors without scandal and shame in their backgrounds. He is too stupid to even stay awake while studying the freaking constitution--something we all had to do in high school!

There are no masterminds here. For years the Republicans have been investing in "types" guaranteed appeal to the red state voters. Remember Sarah Palin? Feisty, cute, able to handle a shotgun, (so can I, ho-hum) she was bound to appeal to women voters only as soon as she opened her mouth, plain old stupid came out. She, as much as Romney, lost them the election. They invested in rich business mastermind and came up with Tom Buchanan, who read a book once. They invested in angry and guess what? Stupid came along.

"The truth may be stretched thin, but it never breaks, and it always surfaces above lies, as oil floats on water.” -- M. de Cervantes Saavedra

Trump can't inspire loyalty because he has never had to. He always bought it. He is still operating in private CEO and ruler of his gilded, golden, fiefdom mode. If you work for him, you must be loyal. He bought, bullied and ranted his way through private business. If anyone stood their ground against him and his verbal and public attacks didn't work, he sued them. It may fly in private enterprise but not politics. And it certainly doesn't work while facing down other world leaders. It does little more than make him look like a petulant grader schooler having a meltdown in the schoolyard.

My abject apologies. :Hail:

He forgives you.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Like Trump, Bannon famously does not drink alcohol. Which, perversely, makes his personal demeanor and behavior even more unsettling.

caw

???

I did not know this & now genuinely wonder what gives him that pickled look. Cocaine explains a lot, but not everything.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Read the NY excerpt. I believe every syllable. EVERY ONE.

This is exactly as I envisioned. So, so looking fwd to buying this book.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2018/01/michael-wolff-fire-and-fury-book-donald-trump.html

This is an interesting article, and I have little doubt it's true in that Trump, and his campaign, didn't expect to win, and Trump had a cozy future planned for himself as a television mogul (and gadfly to HRC). But I'm not sure I agree that Ailes was only humoring and tolerating Trump for the years leading up to his campaign. Fox News certainly gave him a lot of air time as part of the Birther movement, and that likely helped put Trump in the spotlight of racist, white America.

Davy The First

Registered
Reaction score
This is an interesting article, and I have little doubt it's true in that Trump, and his campaign, didn't expect to win, and Trump had a cozy future planned for himself as a television mogul (and gadfly to HRC). But I'm not sure I agree that Ailes was only humoring and tolerating Trump for the years leading up to his campaign. Fox News certainly gave him a lot of air time as part of the Birther movement, and that likely helped put Trump in the spotlight of racist, white America.
Yup. They were happy to facilitate anything to get the boot into a non cooperative Obama. Murdock would have met Trump, and quickly concluded just what he was. They supported Trump to put pre victory pressure on Hilary, not for a moment believing Trump would win - just like everyone else (Even Moore, despite the rhetoric)

Davy The First

Registered
Reaction score
Part owner of the Holloywood reporter states she was witness to the Ailes Bannon conversation, confirming Wolff's assertions.

https://twitter.com/janicemin?lang=en

She also links the article on Trump that got Wolff accepted into the WH. Lol.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/donald-trump-conversation-politics-dark-898465

Another speil by Wolff, post first article

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/n...insane-year-inside-trumps-white-house-1071504

I'm intrigued by this line.

"Even Trump's loyal, longtime body guard Keith Schiller — for reasons darkly whispered about in the West Wing — was out."

Last edited:

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I giggled at several points, especially when he got to part about some calling it the most talented field of Republican candidates in history. Who called it that? All I remember was a lot of moaning about how, even with so many to choose from, there still wasn't a decent choice.
Poor, crazy-ass Ben Carson. What was that all about?

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Henry Holt has authorized stores to begin selling the book tomorrow, rather than waiting for Tuesday. They must be dancing a jig over in the Flatiron Building tonight...I wonder how many reprints it's gone into?

I've grown cynical enough to wonder if the "explosive" nature of the book, including the regime's predictably volatile reaction creating predictably viral buzz and demand, was part of the planned marketing campaign from the get-go... Wonder if there's any real tooth to the content, or if it's smoke and mirrors that ultimately will do nothing but distract.

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think this is just a distraction. It's a fracture between Trump and the Bannon followers. These guys were all brothers in arms at one point. Now each side has to look at the other as an enemy. Trumpers say no treason. Bannonites say treason's clear as the nose on your face. GOP stalwarts aren't going to be able to paper over that one easily.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
I've grown cynical enough to wonder if the "explosive" nature of the book, including the regime's predictably volatile reaction creating predictably viral buzz and demand, was part of the planned marketing campaign from the get-go... Wonder if there's any real tooth to the content, or if it's smoke and mirrors that ultimately will do nothing but distract.

It's about as toothy as any Kitty Kelly biography, which is to say, it's going to have nuggets of truth wrapped in salacious packaging. The author's reputation is well-established (and not exactly lauded).

That said, I don't think there's any question the schism it's already causing is real. Rebekah Mercer has cut ties with Bannon, and based on the snippets of the book I've seen, there's nothing there that Trump's base doesn't already love about him. The difficulty is going to be in keeping mainstream republicans on board. I listened to Jeff Flake on NPR yesterday, saying he predicts an "independent" candidate if Trump makes it to 2020 and runs again. (He also said he's not convinced T *will* run again.) All well and good for tearing the R's in two, but only if the Dems can keep it together. No sure thing.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Has anyone else been thinking lately that the media seems to be spending more time lately talking about Trump's competency and fitness to be POTUS? There's been speculation all along, since he first became the GOP candidate elect, with people speculating about everything from early dementia to illiteracy to APD. But even before this book came out, I've noticed journalists on npr and other mainstream news outlets appear to be spending more time seriously discussing this issue.

I also can't get past the feeling that all this you know what hitting the fan lately--the new discussion of the Russia investigation, and this book coming out, and the breakup with Bannon--all happening at once, and shortly after he's signed off on the GOP budget deal is no coincidence. And then there's that unannounced visit to Paul Ryan by Rosenstein.

Is the GOP establishment finally going to cut him loose? Was Moore's defeat a wake up call that their position is far from secure? Has the GOP finally decided, now that they don't *need* Trump for the budget deal, that he's more of a liability than an asset, so it's time to move on to #46?

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I would have thought maybe so Roxxsmom, until Grassly and Graham filed that ignorant distraction today asking the DoJ to investigate Steele because he supposedly got a date wrong when he reported his concerns to the FBI over what he was uncovering in his Russia work.

And today a new propaganda peddler, Republican Congressman from Ohio, Jim Jordan, made rounds on MSNBC with both Katy Tur and Chuck Todd repeating the talking points memo that Papadopolous was a drunk in a bar and surely that was not the basis for the FISA warrant (never mind the inconvenient fact that the information PapaD revealed was that the Russians had hacked DNC emails, something that was not known at the time).

Jordan went on ignoring facts and talking over Tur who kept challenging his misinformation with facts trying so hard to make Steele the villain, ... because Clinton emails, the Clinton Foundation, Uranium One, Fusion GPS, why aren't we investigating that.... blah blah blah... stuff that should be confined to Rush Limbaugh and InfoWars but here instead it is normalized by a GOP majority and not just the Michele Bachman faction.

[inhales huge breath]

This is getting worrisome as it comes to a head and either normal people lose or the GOP comes to its senses and gets that mentally ill man out of office.

Side note pondering: is there something about Pence that scares these guys more than Trump scares them?

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
This is getting worrisome as it comes to a head and either normal people lose or the GOP comes to its senses and gets that mentally ill man out of office.

If that's the case, I think we all know what's going to happen... what has been happening for years, cemented in 2016.

Side note pondering: is there something about Pence that scares these guys more than Trump scares them?

For one thing, Pence is a die-hard zealot and practiced politician - much harder to manipulate, and not nearly such a flashy distraction/tool (who has no clue he is, in fact a tool.) I think they rather like having 45*'s tweeting, attention-grabbing/exhausting presence drawing eyes away from their agendas and deals. (TBH, about the only upside I'd see to a Pence ascendancy is a slightly lower risk of nuclear-war-as-masculine-compensation.)

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If that's the case, I think we all know what's going to happen... what has been happening for years, cemented in 2016.

For one thing, Pence is a die-hard zealot and practiced politician - much harder to manipulate, and not nearly such a flashy distraction/tool (who has no clue he is, in fact a tool.) I think they rather like having 45*'s tweeting, attention-grabbing/exhausting presence drawing eyes away from their agendas and deals. (TBH, about the only upside I'd see to a Pence ascendancy is a slightly lower risk of nuclear-war-as-masculine-compensation.)

My intellectual brain believes this. My emotional brain can't figure out how anyone can grovel like these guys have been publicly groveling. And my never-thought-these-guys-we're-that-bright liberal self thinks these guys are going to lose their bet big-time. I have faith in the US population that they are much too apathetic too much of the time but when things get this bad, they wake up.

I saw it with the Vietnam War protests and I believe we saw the beginning of it with the worldwide protests after Trump's inauguration and we are going to see it again when Trump tries to stop the Mueller steam roller.

Last edited:

Davy The First

Registered
Reaction score
Mueller's steamroller had better pick up steam...

All that concerns the GOP is "can we push through our agenda" - that is, the agenda of the few who actually created one.

The other concern is "staying in power at all costs". This makes the first possible.

When Trump becomes a liability to them, they will, naturally, turn against him.

Jim Jordan has nothing to lose really. From a GOP standpoint, he's supporting the Pres, which suits their purpose.

But as soon as the GOP don't, all will change.

That change I believe will require either one of, or both these two things.

1/ Mueller has serious dirt of at least 5 GOP Senators.

2/ Mueller can show that Trump broke the law (likely money-laundering, not anything open to debate)

The GOP (those who feel they have 'principles') believe the End Justifies the Means. Whatever it takes, that's what they'll do. So, unless jail is calling (which removes their ability to act anyway), nothing will change.

The only other thing that would have effect, is if Trump rally's get a few hundred, instead of the few thousand. and that's unlikely.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com

I think they're scared spitless of opening the 25th Amendment and letting that genie out of the bottle. Once that precedent has been established the storm winds lash on unseen coasts.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So after losing his major funding for Breitbart after losing his position as a White House Insider™, Bannon's been subpoenaed by Mueller in the continuing investigation. Of course, he's going to talk. He's not going to hide behind the Fifth Amendment because what else has he got to lose? After this incredibly public humiliation, he's going to work out a plea deal then name names and take as many people down with him as he can.

Last edited:

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
As the rumored logic goes, a government shutdown would stop the Mueller investigation dead in its tracks. Bannon problem solved.

Geniuses at work in the White Hole. At least they can name a camel and draw a clock.

-cb

Last edited:

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
So after losing his major funding for Breitbart after losing his position as a White House Insider™, Bannon's been subpoenaed by Mueller in the continuing investigation. Of course, he's going to talk. He's not going to hide behind the Fifth Amendment because what else has he got to lose?

He'll have trouble invoking the 5th Amendment if he himself has done nothing illegal. Which, regrettably, I don't think he has. The 5th is specifically a protection against self-incrimination, not a blanket excuse to refuse to answer questions under oath. If he is not being accused of anything illegal, he could risk a contempt charge by refusing to testify.

caw