Omnibus/Boxed Set Title and Cover Question

AdamR85

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.atrossbooks.com
My goals for 2018 include updating the covers for my series, and releasing omnibus editions of them. I am leaning toward omnibus editions rather than boxed sets so that I can release the omnibus edition in paper (trade and hardcover) as well as ebook, and omnibi are pretty standard in the industry.

My question is on how to deal with omnibus titles. Looking around at the omnibus editions out there, most of them generally go with the series title. I also notice most of the series titles are very basic: Sweep. Wool. Cygnet. Others just put the full series title: Chronicles of the So-and-So (books #1-4).

But I also notice quite a few make new titles. Michael Sullivan's omnibus books do this a lot, but so do a lot of others. The Chronicles of Amber series omnibus edition was titled The Great Book of Amber. Books 1-3 of the Tales of the Flat Earth books were rereleased as The Lords of Darkness.

My girlfriend is a librarian, and she is telling me not to rename the omnibus edition something different because she gets people who put the omnibus on hold thinking it was a new book and then get frustrated. I can definitely see her point, and we should not make it especially confusing for readers, but I also think if they are clearly labeled it shouldn't be that big of a problem. If it were, the industry would not do it.

What do you all think?

M. H. Lee

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with your girlfriend. I'd use the series name. For example, "The Greatest Series Omnibus". I have some Mercedes Lackey omnibus books on my shelf and pretty sure that's how her publisher handled it. Same with the David Eddings ones I still have from ages ago. If you go with a unique name then I'd make sure the subtitle made it clear it was an omnibus of the series. "Lords of Darkness (A Greatest Series Omnibus)" or something like that.