Does Being a Non-Fiction Author Put me in a Box?

tembers

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,

I have been most comfortable writing non-fiction essays and memoir-style creative non-fiction. It feels most natural to me but it's also a style of writing that requires a lot of vulnerability. I find that starting with short stories offers a welcome respite from the heavy self-examination and exposure. But I wonder if stepping outside my writing box will water down my solidity as a non-fiction writer. Thoughts on this are welcome!

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,

I have been most comfortable writing non-fiction essays and memoir-style creative non-fiction. It feels most natural to me but it's also a style of writing that requires a lot of vulnerability. I find that starting with short stories offers a welcome respite from the heavy self-examination and exposure. But I wonder if stepping outside my writing box will water down my solidity as a non-fiction writer. Thoughts on this are welcome!

When you say "water down," do you mean you're afraid your writerly reputation will be affected, since your audience associates you with non-fiction? Or are you concerned about your writing abilities themselves?

If it's the former, a pen name is a simple solution. An author who writes both picture books and horror novels, for example, might choose to use two names to separate the brands. (Others don't bother. It's a purely personal choice).

If it's the latter, I'd say branching out can only make you better. Think of it like cooking. Let's say you're already awesome at frying, and now you've decided to try your hand at baking. You'll not only add a whole new skillset to your repetoire, you'll actually discover areas where the knowledge gleaned from each technique will enhance your abilities in the other.

Last edited:

Curlz

cutsie-pie
Registered
Reaction score
But I wonder if stepping outside my writing box will water down my solidity as a non-fiction writer.
Of course. You won't be a "solid" non-fiction writer any more. Part of you will be melted down and molded into "fiction-writer" shape ;)

I don't really understand your question. Are you saying that fiction or short-story writing excludes "vulnerability" or "self-examination and exposure"?

tembers

Registered
Reaction score
When you say "water down," do you mean you're afraid your writerly reputation will be affected, since your audience associates you with non-fiction? Or are you concerned about your writing abilities themselves?

If it's the latter, I'd say branching out can only make you better. Think of it like cooking. Let's say you're already awesome at frying, and now you've decided to try your hand at baking. You'll not only add a whole new skillset to your repetoire, you'll actually discover areas where the knowledge gleaned from each technique will enhance your abilities in the other.

I mean my reputation or potential "brand". There's a very successful memoir author whose books I love but when I tried the same author's fiction, I didn't like it at all. Not sure if that's because of my view of this person as a strictly non-fiction author or not.

Love this analogy. Thank you.

tembers

Registered
Reaction score
I don't really understand your question. Are you saying that fiction or short-story writing excludes "vulnerability" or "self-examination and exposure"?

Yes, compared to the type of writing I do. Exposing something about my family life or personal struggles feels a lot more vulnerable and open to personal critique (as I've already experienced) than writing about a science fiction character.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

You can certainly write both if you want. You could use your vulnerability to write about fictional vulnerable characters.

But if you're concerned about reputation, then yes, a pen name might be the way to go.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I don't see how learning to do more would lessen you. If you want separate brands you just need to use separate pen names.

DrDLN

Banned
Reaction score
Website
bit.ly
I think pin name is common among F authors. There is hardly any NF author who uses pin name....

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I think pin name is common among F authors. There is hardly any NF author who uses pin name....

This is not true. Many non-fiction authors use a pen name. Many non-fiction writers, moreover, are ghost writers, who work for hire.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Also how would you know who's using a pen name and who's not?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
My particular point was that you can use a pen names for fiction and your name for non-fiction--although other options are certainly available. That explains why I serve as a non-fiction mod here based on relevant experience despite this particular veinglory account not being connected to it (and my avatar being under yet another name).

MichaelC

Registered
Reaction score
You could use two different pen names. One for fiction and the other for non-fiction.

DepressedbutnotDead

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think so at all, if anything, I think it will give you more insight as a writer. Maybe you can start by meeting the problem half way, write a piece of fiction based on the typical research you would do as a non-fic writer?

MartinVestgard

Registered
Reaction score
A good fiction author has to be able to write non-fiction too. Objectivity, reasoning and the likes are part of fiction too and being able to articulate these clearly will definitely help the fiction author in the long run.

_Melody_

Registered
Reaction score
There are many writers who have done both. Some better then others, but it CAN work. I think you can be talented in multiple genres. Just try it out and let people around you read it as a test to see if its up to your usual standard.

And if you’re Really concerned about your reputation, the different pen names some have mentioned is a good solution.

Irene Eng

Registered
Reaction score
For nonfic, you write what you know ... no?

Last edited: