How reliable/relevant are readability scores?

eastallegheny

Registered
Reaction score
Website
nimrien.wordpress.com
I ran my manuscript in its entirety (ie, six and a half chapters of it) through a readability assessment site. I scored an A for readability! But then my "grade level" scores varied wildly, from fourth grade up to eighth!

I know that I write how I think and how I speak, and that means my writing tends to avoid being overly technical, but I didn't think I was writing at a fourth grade level (er, that's "fourth graders can reliably read this", not "it looks like a fourth grader wrote this", for the record). I can cope with eighth grade, that's more where I was aiming. Still a little low, but better than fourth grade.

So I guess my question is twofold:
a) which of the readability scales/scores are the most relevant and reliable?
b) how can I bump up my score? As in, how can I push that grade level up to ninth or even tenth grade? And do I even really want to?

Curlz

cutsie-pie
Registered
Reaction score
a) All of them. After all, they do measure something.
b) You could improve grammar and vocabulary. But it's not really necessary. "Winnie the Pooh" is a very easy to read book enjoyed by all ages. Content is important, too.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Readability scores are pretty simplistic things, and the grade levels aren't validated at all. They're merely rough guides. If you want to game your score you can do it by using more polysyllabic words and longer sentences. These aren't the only things making a sentence more or less readable. There's also prosody, word choice, word order, vocabulary ... what's easier to read, "the elephant is relevant" (Flesch-Kincaid readability level 9.6), or "the sixth sick sheik's sixth sheep is sick" (Flesch-Kincaid readability level -0.7)? The first of course, but their Flesch Kincaid scores suggest the opposite. I'm not sure this test is completely useless, but it's getting there.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
P.S. I ran my own post through a readability checker. It gave it a grade level of 8.1. I'm insulted. I thought it was completely​ unreadable.

Curlz

cutsie-pie
Registered
Reaction score
... what's easier to read, "the elephant is relevant" (Flesch-Kincaid readability level 9.6), or "the sixth sick sheik's sixth sheep is sick" (Flesch-Kincaid readability level -0.7)? The first of course
In case you were wondering: the first sentence is more difficult to comprehend. It requires additional thinking to understand what exactly it means by "relevant". It's way too "meta". While the second sentence is very easy to understand since everybody can easily imagine what it means for a sheep to be sick. The tongue-twister quality of the text matters only if you read it aloud and that's not what reading tests are about.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know anyone in publishing who uses scores like those. They just read the text and see if they like it.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
Educational publishers use these to level books and passages for things like early readers and comprehension tests. They don't have much of a place in fiction otherwise. They use metrics for number of syllables in each word, words per sentence, and the like. (However, they can help you see how your characters sound. So more erudite and wordy characters will have a higher level than a four year old. Of course, the character could appear erudite but make no sense.) Stay true to your voices and ages and the level should be where you need it. Most eighth graders don't speak at this level, they merely read at it. They'd get laughed at if they used eighth grade vocab in their daily chitchat except for effect.

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
Readability scores are crude but useful tools. As long as you keep their weaknesses in mind.

Grade level, for instance, in many of them means longer words and sentences. It doesn't mean your writing is "smarter" but that it's dumber. Convoluted writing makes it harder for even the smartest of us to get past the words to the meaning beyond them. A lower grade level is (on the average) good.

Some of the immortal and most profound writing is deceptively simple.

What I did to help my writing style was to create a tool that turns the background of all three-syllable words light grey, four light yellow, and five or higher red. When I've finished a chapter I go through each red word and see if its length is justified. If not, I seek a more expressive word. Ditto the yellow words.

I give only a cursory glance at the light grey words, but I do consider them for an instant.

Raindrop

Registered
Reaction score
In case you were wondering: the first sentence is more difficult to comprehend. It requires additional thinking to understand what exactly it means by "relevant". It's way too "meta". While the second sentence is very easy to understand since everybody can easily imagine what it means for a sheep to be sick. The tongue-twister quality of the text matters only if you read it aloud and that's not what reading tests are about.
I struggled to read the second sentence. All the words looked the same. It didn't make sense, and I had to put in some serious work to decipher it. First sentence? Not a problem, although it's a cliffhanger. Now I want to know what the elephant is relevant to.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know anyone in publishing who uses scores like those. They just read the text and see if they like it.

They've not been respected in terms of most k-12 instruction for a very long time. They're based on old data, and they've not been updated.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
I'd argue that a primary school child is much likelier to know what an elephant (or a hippopotamus, or a muttaburrasaurus) is than what a sheik is, though. Scores based on word length alone ignore that the number of syllables in a word isn't necessarily an indicator of the word's complexity or rareness.

A lot of readers, especially children, do read aloud, and even many adults move the vocal tract silently when concentrating on a passage. So elements of prosody, assonance, articulation etc. do matter when reading.

Anyway, my point is that the most common readability test gives wildly different scores to those sentences, evidently just because the first has two 3-syllable words, and the last is made up entirely of monosyllabic words. I don't think it can be said to be a reliable measure of readability.

Last edited:

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
They've not been respected in terms of most k-12 instruction for a very long time. They're based on old data, and they've not been updated.

Lexile updated with the common core (I think in 2012). A further update occurred last year: https://thejournal.com/articles/201...xile-framework-for-students-in-grades-k2.aspx I have been asked by packagers and educational publisher to write to specific Lexile levels. To level a text, I do remove scientific terms and proper nouns and replace them with pronouns. Those words are necessary to the text but they skew the level. (For example: "Juan Pablo Montoya won the Indianapolis 500" is much harder to read than "He won the Indy 500.")

Keep in mind also that these books often contain glossaries and images to help with comprehension. A picture of a hippo will make the word far clearer than a picture of a sheik does. Sheik needs a definition.

It might also be good to note that many newspapers are written at a fifth grade level. (At least that's the last number I heard.)